Author Topic: Rod Bluh for the Lords By Bob Buckland  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Ringer

Rod Bluh for the Lords By Bob Buckland
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:24:40 AM »
http://conservativehome.blogs.com/goldlist/2009/01/search-for-10-5.html

Is this one of  the reasons Bob Buckland Tory PPC has been :-X on wifi?

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Bobby Bingo

Re: Rod Bluh for the Lords By Bob Buckland
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:42:04 AM »
What planet does Buckland come from.?
No wonder he is so quiet on Talk Swindon he has not got a clue what is happenning in Swindon.
Arise Sir Robert? As the Queen would say "We are not amused"
Bobby

Offline Trollee

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:04:32 AM »
i am glad robert buckland is not my candidate

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:19:25 AM »
Just one point of order here, this story was posted in January 2009 - hardly up to date news is it! :)
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline Provocateur

• Atchya like a ninja cat!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »
No, but the silence since is deafening, is it not? Once again, clear evidence that the Tory PR machine has decided that its better to hide than to takle issues (Wi-Fi and the regeneration) which call the competance of their senior councillor into serious question. Not the actions of people 'working hard for the people of Swindon'. call into serious question Bluhs competance

I think thats a dangerously flawed strategy. It gives the Labour group plenty of time to make mischief - it could well become the defining issue of the election. Far better to take a moral (and ethically RIGHT) stance, get to grips with it - and if necessary say some difficult things and take the proper action.

Its so ironic that TS is peppered with potential conservative voters - but our supposed potential representatives have so far shown a contemptible lack of backbone on this issue. Shame on them

Offline Trollee

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 09:42:12 AM »
did i hear on the radio today that the polls are neck and neck

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 10:02:51 AM »
I contacted Bob via email this morning and later spoke to Bob all I would say from that conversation is that Bob will blog on an issue before tomorrow night, so watch his blog. He will get into the campaign after that blog.  :fence:
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 10:05:52 AM »
Just one point of order here, this story was posted in January 2009 - hardly up to date news is it! :)

I agree, but it is better that info comes out (good, bad or indifferent) and get discussed kicked around earlier in the campaign rather than later, it can save any :emb: if there is any? Now instead of a day or two before the polls take place.  :angel:
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »
I'll just snatch that for posterity  :)

No. 6: Rod Bluh

Robert Buckland writes:

Rod_bluh "I would like to nominate Rod Bluh, the leader of Swindon Council.  Rod, 53, is a Chartered Accountant and has been an active Conservative for many years, but his rise in local government has been dramatic. Elected in 2004, he entered the Swindon Cabinet as Lead Member for Economic Regeneration in 2005 and became Deputy Leader. In 2006, he was elected Leader of Swindon and under his leadership, the Council has improved dramatically and has delivered in a number of key areas, including:

1. Continuous delivery of low Council Tax rises;
       2. The building of a new Central Library for Swindon, a project that was talked about for years under Labour but which we delivered on time and in budget;
       3. The signing of two major town centre regeneration projects.

"Rod is reaching out to parts of the community that have never had any contact with Conservatives – he is described by many people who are now supporting us for the first time as 'a breath of fresh air'.   At this year’s Party Conference, he spoke at a number of fringe meetings on the subject of housing and local government. He has a high profile in the South West Region, and also serves on the Wiltshire Police Authority.

“Rod played a key part in steering through the Council’s recent groundbreaking decision to pull out of the Speed Camera Partnership.  Rod leads a dynamic and forward-thinking Conservative administration that has continued to gain council seats since taking control in 2004.  Rod Bluh’s experience in leading a largely urban Unitary Authority that has made huge progress in only a few years would be a real asset to the Conservative benches in the Lords”.

Always interesting to have historical points of view to compare against actual events.

Offline Trollee

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 02:38:07 PM »
2009 - 2010 amazing what difference a year makes, not a happy comparison with today

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 02:41:06 PM »

I look forward to reading Roberts position on Rod Bluh and Mard Edwards secret decision to involve the entire Borough Council in the WiFi'asco because, as Robert will no doubt remember, I said to him as far back as 2008 that one day he might find himself needing to decide between doing and saying the right for the residents of Swindon and what suits the Swindon conservatives.

In my opinion, the Swindon Conservative Party is the ruling majority in the council chamber and the civic duty of the 41 Conservative councillors to represent their electors has been utterly eclipsed by the wishes and aims of the local conservative party.  Each and every one of them now finds the whip system a convenient excuse for their abject failure to stand up and say "I disagree" on anything and everything from WiFi to Wobbling budgets.  I am reminded of war-crimes trials where defendants said: "I was just following orders". 

Meaningful and genuine democracy is nearly dead in Euclid Street and what remains is largely an autocratic and unitrist copy of a small scale banana republic.   

This is, I suggest, Roberts last chance to do and say the right thing in the eyes of Swindons electorate.  He'll be aware that to do so will incur the wrath of Rod Bluh and his small yet powerful band of faux-conservatives, thereby costing him some of the support he certainly needs if he's to get to parliament.

Rocks and hard places, fences, deep holes, moral compasses and elephants in rooms will all be featuring prominently in Roberts mental landscape today.

Is this Roberts Catch-22 moment?   :popcorn:

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 06:12:42 PM »
He's posted!  My first instinct is that it is what I expect and classic sitting on the fence.

I wonder if he would be so mild if it was a labour council.  I like the bit where he thanks the council for allowing scruitiny to happen!

I also expect this be his only comment on the subject.

From Robert Bucklands blog
The latest Tory announcement is clear recognition that the public increasingly demand openness and accountability applies at all levels of our government.  The debate in the local media about the Swindon Wi Fi project is part of this.  In a nutshell,   Swindon Council is the holder of a 35% stake in a company that aims to set up a Wi Fi network throughout the Borough.  The Council is loaning this company 450,000 pounds and the aim is to share in any profits made from this joint venture.

There is no doubt that the rolling out of Wi Fi services across Swindon is a welcome initiative.   Many local residents  still do not have the benefit of wireless internet links,  and the speed by which many link to the net is far too slow.   The prospect of a few hours of free internet access per day could be of real benefit to people who at present have no way of accessing the net.  Businesses, too, could benefit from this service.   It can be used for reading household meters and as a way of improving the care  of vulnerable people.  I understand that there are savings to be made by organisations such as the Council itself in using Wi Fi.

I very much hope that the project is a success.  The main cause of concern in the debate, however, has been about the process used in order to set up the project.   The decision to enter into the contract to participate in this joint venture was conducted in private.  It was not brought to the Council’s Cabinet for discussion or approval.   As this decision has involved the use of public money,  this process has been the subject of criticism.

My understanding is that the matter has been referred to an internal audit of the Council,  and that there has also been a complaint made to the District Auditor.  We have yet to learn whether the District Auditor will intervene.   I would expect  full co-operation from the Council if this does happen.

Tomorrow night’s  Swindon Council Cabinet will consider whether or not to allow payment of the rest of the loan by amending some of the terms of the original deal, to take account of the fact that some of the requirements of the loan have not been met.  I would like to thank the Conservative administration for taking this course of action, allowing for public scrutiny at the time the decision is made, and suggest that if the balance of the loan is to be paid, that all the existing requirements are double checked to make sure that they are realistic and can be ahered to.   

I am sure that on reflection, it would be agreed by all involved that a decision-making process that was as open as possible at all stages of this proposal would have been the best way to deal with things.   I fully understand that there were concerns about issues of commercial sensitivity, and I do not think that we have reached this situation because of deliberate subtefuge by anyone.

In the arena of public life, whether it be the world of Criminal Justice that I have inhabited for many years or the world of government,  openness should be the default position, I suggest.  This is the way proposed by David Cameron and the Conservative Party, and it is something that I strongly support.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 07:40:58 PM »
I think the critical parts are
Quote from: Mr Buckland
We have yet to learn whether the District Auditor will intervene.   I would expect  full co-operation from the Council if this does happen.

Which reads to me like a slight warning, but then

Quote from: Mr Buckland
suggest that if the balance of the loan is to be paid, that all the existing requirements are double checked to make sure that they are realistic and can be ahered to.   

I am sure that on reflection, it would be agreed by all involved that a decision-making process that was as open as possible at all stages of this proposal would have been the best way to deal with things.

Which looks exactly like the Bluh-party line.

I think that, on a bit more reflection, Mr Buckland might be very disappointed.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:45:53 PM »
I am afraid, in my nearly worthless opinion, the Boy Buckland has bottled it and produced a 'Tomlinsonian' reply which Annie and Victor will be very pleased with.

However, as I will shortly be collecting the winnings on a small wager I am not entirely bereft :)

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 08:57:36 PM »
From Robert Bucklands blog

.......... I would like to thank the Conservative administration for taking this course of action, allowing for public scrutiny at the time the decision is made, and suggest that if the balance of the loan is to be paid, that all the existing requirements are double checked to make sure that they are realistic and can be ahered to.   

So in other words as long a Rod and Rikki now cut and dice up the plan to fit the facts its all okay to go handing over more money....

Welll done Robert you spineless :censored: what will you do if they are not???

Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Provocateur

• Atchya like a ninja cat!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2010, 10:18:19 PM »
I am sure that on reflection, it would be agreed by all involved that a decision-making process that was as open as possible at all stages of this proposal would have been the best way to deal with things.

Well, thats something recognised at least. BUT...

I fully understand that there were concerns about issues of commercial sensitivity, and I do not think that we have reached this situation because of deliberate subtefuge by anyone.

Do WHAT?! The little which has come to public attention has been because of the tireless efforts of TS contributors - every grain of information has had to be pried from SBC - there has been no willingness to share ANYTHING!!! EVEN THOUGH IT WAS PUBLIC MONEY BEING SPENT!!! Even if the detail was hidden from us, why was it kept from the rest of the town's elected representatives?

Would tomorrow's considerations really have happened if a bunch of concerned and non politically aligned people here not raised all of these concerns? Of course not - the goal posts of the commercial terms would almost certainly have been shifted with barely a whisper of challenge or scrutiny.

As so many others have pointed out, were this a truly commercial business plan, subject to the same scrutiny as a private business approaching a bank, no loan would have been granted to begin with - and even if it had, any further money would have been recinded on the basis of non delivery of the initial targets.

I'd like to ask Rob what he thinks to GetSignal/DigitalCity a supposedly commercial entity  apparently getting free office space in the DMJ?

Is Rob uncomfortable that there appears to have been no open tendering process for this project - especially when the main commercial beneficiary of this deal may have or have had business interests in other companies connected to SBC?

The similarity of response by Robert and that of Rikki in tomorrow's adver www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/5049959.Why_Wi_Fi_scheme_matters_to_us_all/ makes it seem that people have been assembled together to present a united message. Whether or not individuals have been persuaded to compromise in order to spare blushes and/or political disaster is very definately removed from taking difficult decisions, making public criticism where its deserved - or necessarily doing whats right for the town and its tax payers  :emb:

This is in danger of looking like pure spin in an attempt to rescue underserving individuals from a fate of their own creation. I am very dissapointed.

Here are some ironic snippets of what Rikki says by way of comparison:

Who really cares if everyone in Swindon has free or cheap access to wi-fi or not?

Well, I do, for a start.
No frikken doubt!  ;D

And to be honest, I think we all should. The internet gives power to the people. It’s a massive source of knowledge and enlightenment,
ironic really, as without the internet we wouldn't have been able to discover what was really happening behind the Wi-Fi project

as well as enabling us to develop applications to make our society safer, more secure, more economically competitive and more environmentally friendly.
What an overblown claim! Last I checked, the internet was one of the greatest tools for crime since the invention of the jemmy.... Go on, read the rest of his argument. I think its more full of holes than a Swiss cheese.  :bash:

back to Mr Buckland...

In the arena of public life, whether it be the world of Criminal Justice that I have inhabited for many years or the world of government,  openness should be the default position, I suggest.  This is the way proposed by David Cameron and the Conservative Party, and it is something that I strongly support.

So, on the basis of his performance regarding 'openness' on this issue, is Robert still endorsing Rod for a seat in the Lords?

I know there's no such thing as perfection - and mistakes can be made by anyone, but the whole wi-fi issue is in huge danger of turning into a complete debacle which can only do huge damage to public trust. A bit of really frank and honest humility on the behalf of those at the center of the storm would be so welcome.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 10:16:59 AM »
Rod Bluh is a frightfully nice chap but as nice as he is he should not be considered as a serious candidate for an MBE never mind ermine line robes.  Let's be real if any single person deserved a national honour it should be Mike Bawden - love him or loathe him what cannot be denied is that he has given decades of voluntary political service to the town.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »
Rod Bluh is a frightfully nice chap but as nice as he is he should not be considered as a serious candidate for an MBE never mind ermine line robes.  Let's be real if any single person deserved a national honour it should be Mike Bawden - love him or loathe him what cannot be denied is that he has given decades of voluntary political service to the town.

I think it has spanned 5 decades and he was also as a County Councillor, he was once a Conservative Councillor for Western, which goes to show that Swindon can be a swing/barometer/weathervane for all politicians from time to time. :)

Offline Trollee

• Hello !
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »

'frightfully nice chap', yes on the surface, but scratch that surface and what lies beneith............

Offline Muggins

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »
Yes, maybe, but if you give it to him, you'd have to give it to David  ::)
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)