Author Topic: "You must remain independent of decision making process" Montaut tells Hunt  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Hat-Tip to Lamplighter Digital Dawg

I believe this to be genuine.

Quote from: Derique Montaut

Dear Rikki

I have to say I was somewhat surprised by your comments to the Swindon Advertiser, published last Friday.  I understand you wish to fight for the interests of your company; however you need to remember that whatever happens involving elected representatives over how they spend their constituents’ money, is a matter for those elected representatives, not yourself. You must remain independent from the Council’s decision making process in order for the Labour Group to be able to trust doing business with you in the future.

Now, I would like to state to you the Labour Group’s position on Wi-Fi. The Labour Group has always been, and still is, in support of universal Wi-Fi across the borough. However, just because we are in favour of bringing universal Wi-Fi to the town, this shouldn’t mean that we are not able to scrutinise the scheme and make sure that Swindon Council-tax payers’ money is as safe as it possibly can be in a public-private venture like this. As their elected representatives, the Swindon public expects their Councillors to do this and the Labour Group will continue to scrutinise the scheme at all times to ensure that their money is as safe as it can be. So, as a Leader of a Group of elected representatives, I felt it was important to state the Group’s views, on behalf of our constituents, and that was that, from the information we have received, which included:

·        That Digital City hadn’t fulfilled all of the progress measures that were the original prerequisites before further loans were given to Digital City

·        That there were only five paid-up subscribers to Digital City’s Wi-Fi scheme

·        That the Council’s own Internal Audit team were investigating the legality of the Council’s loan to Digital City

·        And that the Digital Economy Bill, may, or may not, have an effect on Digital City’s business

We felt that it was in the interest of Swindon’s Council tax-payers, though maybe not in the interests of yourself, to hold off the second instalment of the loan until some of these question marks were answered. I can assure everyone concerned that I have taken this stance to protect Swindon Council tax payers’ money, not for any other reason.

So, in future, my suggestion to you when dealing with the media on the issue of Wi-Fi, is that you continue to promote your business as you have done successfully, however you leave the issue of how and when public money is spent to the elected representatives who have a mandate to discuss this. If this is ensured then the Labour Group and you will have no problems with each other.

I would lastly like to add that I have always had good relations with you in the past and I would like for this to continue.

Best Wishes

Derique Montaut Leader of the Labour Group

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

I would expect all of my own Ward Councillors to be publicly echoing Montys position.

The silence from Cllr's Greenhalgh and Bray is deafening.  Cllr Dickinson has a get out of jail free card by being the chair of the Internal Audit Committee.

Anyone else care to share what their own councillors are saying/not saying about this?

Offline Richard Symonds

It would be nice to hear from Messr Martin, Perkins and Williams aka Shaw and Nine Elms Conservative Councillors on this issue, but I am not holding my breath.

Keith you need to say something otherwise your majority could evaporate come May.

Headline 'Labour Takes Tory Stronghold in Shaw and Nine Elms'

Well they are striking a chord with voters presently if any of my recent conversations are indicative of present opinions.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
Derique Montaut makes some very interesting observations and displays a political maturity not usually associated with The Labour Group aka Shop Mobility and Dial A Ride.

His overarching theme is the separation of interests and in this he is quite correct. The Wi Fi programme may or may not be great idea (it is not original or innovative) - in truth the Wi Fi element is simply a smokescreen for what it really is - a BROADBAND offer

Offline Steve Wakefield

Derique Montaut makes some very interesting observations and displays a political maturity not usually associated with The Labour Group aka Shop Mobility and Dial A Ride.

His overarching theme is the separation of interests and in this he is quite correct. The Wi Fi programme may or may not be great idea (it is not original or innovative) - in truth the Wi Fi element is simply a smokescreen for what it really is - a BROADBAND offer

Interesting post and reflects that Labour have upped their game. I have never seen Labour this motivated and this organised since the days of the old Thamesdown. ;) As I say I love the smell of Napalm in the morning and by the look of it  there is much of it about in North and Central Swindon.  :fence:
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline moley

• Hello !
It would be nice to hear from Messr Martin, Perkins and Williams aka Shaw and Nine Elms Conservative Councillors on this issue, but I am not holding my breath.

Keith you need to say something otherwise your majority could evaporate come May.

Well they are striking a chord with voters presently if any of my recent conversations are indicative of present opinions.

we definitely need a local option poll for Shaw and Nine Elms - whereas in the past I have registered pure protest votes, I'm starting to feel really motivated to vote for change....

Offline moley

• Hello !