Author Topic: Forward Swindon?  (Read 19511 times)

Offline roborant

• Hello !
Re: Forward Swindon?
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 10:24:49 AM »
Economic Development got absorbed into Forward Swindon, along with the New Swindon Company and the Swindon Cultural Partnership, to create the inexpensive, dynamic and successful company we see today.

I was talking yesterday with some folk from 'Forward Macclesfield', and they said it wasn't really working.

Offline itspavagain

• Hello !
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 10:51:09 AM »
There is an interesting article on Property Week entitled Urban degeneration companies: the end of the line for URCs

Urban regeneration companies are dropping like flies amid accusations of wasting money on marketing, while failing to revive Britain’s wastelands

No shit!

Let me know if you cannot access the link, as it may be for subscribers only.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 01:52:59 PM »
Thing is, in the main, they don't really go for 'wastelands'  they want urban built stuff that already has a use that they can knock down and redevelop or a large green site.   

Come to think of it perhaps they are better at creating wastelands and that what they are up to in ourtown centre?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline itspavagain

• Hello !
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »
Swindon town centre is certainly a wasteland, caused by a mixture of failed re-generation and Swindon being harder hit that most by the affects of the resession.

Offline Drone

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 02:46:08 PM »
I quite like the idea of 'Backward Swindon', where we make our own clothes, worship electricty and get social trends thirty years after the rest of the UK.

Or 'Sideways Swindon', where we all drive around the vineyards of California using alcohol to mask huge personal problems.

Or 'Downwards Swindon', where we use the Research Councils' expertise to burrow through the centre of the earth and restart the town in Australia.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 10:47:15 PM »
There is an interesting article on Property Week entitled Urban degeneration companies: the end of the line for URCs

Urban regeneration companies are dropping like flies amid accusations of wasting money on marketing, while failing to revive Britain’s wastelands

I have now been told that 'Forward Swindon' may be axed.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2010, 07:57:49 AM »
It might well be axed, but only after several £million has been shuffled in its direction and large payouts negotiated for the lucky few.

'Trough Swindon' my favourite title for FS.

Or FFS, or even FFSFS :)

Offline Drone

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2010, 09:27:32 AM »
Exactly. It's directors are on an absolute fortune and it's hard to think what it has achieved since being set up.

From the Forward Swindon website:

Our mission
Forward Swindon'smission is to deliver economic growth for the Borough of Swindon delivering a prosperous place for all of those that live, work and visit the town.

Our Role
Working on behalf of Swindon Borough Council Forward Swindon  will focus on the following delivery areas to achieve economic growth and success for the town

Cultural development
Economic Development
Inward Investment
Place Marketing
Regeneration

Yup, my first thought was FFSFS!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2010, 10:36:35 AM »
They only cost less than £2 million a year, I believe.  And you didn't expand on the fact that they didn't only drive regeneration forward ['The Hub', 'The Exchange', 'The Promenade', 'Regent's Circus', 'Regent's Place', 'Le Pissoir' - I can't remember the full list].  They did it in partnership with their strategic stakeholders, to create a vibrant and inclusive town centre for a brighter future, enriching and complementing the character of our surroundings.  Or something like that. So quite a long list for such a small amount of cash, to be fair.  The FS staff all look quite happy on their web-site ['Meet the Team'].  And that's the main thing. 
Oh, and I forgot - I believe they signed [I think it's Formal Development Agreements] to ensure that progress forged ahead without delay.  That's quite a task for such a small team !  I think they only have 4 'Projects Managers', after all.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2010, 09:59:52 AM »
The same two words keep occuring to me regarding Forward Swindons 'relationship' with Swindon.

Symbiote & Parasite.

Attached to a healthy host both symbiote and host may prosper, but when the host is weak and sickening rapidly...

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »
The same two words keep occuring to me regarding Forward Swindons 'relationship' with Swindon.

Symbiote & Parasite.

Attached to a healthy host both symbiote and host may prosper, but when the host is weak and sickening rapidly...

You're right:  Only a mutually beneficial relationship is worth continuing with.  But, in this case, the relationship is not between FS and Swindon, so much as it is between FS and SBC leaders who have decided to continue the relationship [and funding] on our behalf.  The public did not vote for anyone to be their 'Leader', or for FS to even exist. 

Offline Drone

« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2010, 05:09:27 PM »
There is also a real issue about what Forward Swindon's mandate is and whether it's even possible. A council-run company designed to encourage economic improvement and privately-funded regeneration. Is that even possible or ideologically sound?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2010, 05:14:54 PM »
There is also a real issue about what Forward Swindon's mandate is and whether it's even possible. A council-run company designed to encourage economic improvement and privately-funded regeneration. Is that even possible or ideologically sound?

No.

Offline Drone

« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2010, 05:17:03 PM »
Thanks - and you are right, they do look a happy, glossy bunch on their website!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2010, 05:50:24 PM »
I quite like the idea of 'Backward Swindon', or 'Sideways Swindon', or 'Downwards Swindon'.

Even 'Up Macclesfield' have now packed it in.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2010, 05:55:18 PM »

Symbiote & Parasite.

Please allow me a moment of lexical pedantry...

Symbiotes are organisms with a mutually beneficial or even co-dependent relationship, for example many vertebrates and the bacteria which live in their digestive tracts.

A parasite, however, is the sole beneficiary of the relationship with its host; the host gains nothing and the relationship is often to their detriment.

Given this, I believe what you meant was "Host & Parasite", symbiosis being something competely different.

I'll get back in my box now...  :bottom:
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline roborant

• Hello !
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »

Please allow me a moment of lexical pedantry...

:bottom:
[/quote]

Up the parasites!

Offline Drone

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2010, 06:35:17 AM »
From Karen Walker, Chief Executive, Forward Swindon
Fri 10th September 2010

Today, Carol Heneghan, Director of Marketing at Forward Swindon, leaves us to take up a new position with Britannia Construction in Cheltenham.

Carol joined New Swindon Company, as we were then known, in March 2006 as marketing manager, achieving promotion to Director of Marketing in September 2008. Carol has played a prominent role in raising the profile of Swindon as a location for investment and was a central figure in our Challenging Your Perceptions, Brighter Future and We’re Here, Why Aren’t You? campaigns.

On behalf of the board of Forward Swindon and all our staff, I would like to thank Carol for her excellent contribution and wish her the all the best in her new role.

Meanwhile, we are currently evaluating a number of options for the future of the communications function at Forward Swindon and will let know as soon as a decision has been made.

"future of the communications function"?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2010, 08:46:57 AM »
Oh dear Drone, I went to the Forward Swindon web-site to find the "Meet The Team" section and forecast who in communications would soon be "seeking other opportunities". But what did I find?

An anouncement about the new "Local Enterprise Partnership" proposal joining Gloucestershire, Swindon & Wiltshire in enterprise.  The document was signed by Rikki Hunt and Rod Bluh among others.

http://www.forwardswindon.co.uk/literature/

At the end it said:

"LEP Board

An overarching board will be formed, chaired by a
prominent private sector Chief Executive from within
the area.
The board will consist of no more than
12 members in addition to the Chair and there will
be a majority private sector presence. Drawing on
the talent within the area, the Board will challenge
traditional ways of working and drive innovative ways
of achieving our strategic objectives."

So yet another team working for our common,good. Us outoftowners are now to be subjected to the same pleasures as Swindonians
What's it all about?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2010, 08:12:54 PM »
Symbiotes are organisms with a mutually beneficial or even co-dependent relationship, for example many vertebrates and the bacteria which live in their digestive tracts

Nah, it's one of them wossnames off Stargate.

An overarching board will be formed,

A meaningless babble phrase, why not a ruling rainbow?

chaired by a prominent private sector Chief Executive from within
the area.

Prominent, not successful. Know where my moneys going. If I had any now that I am fiscally prudent.

The board will consist of no more than
12 members in addition to the Chair and there will
be a majority private sector presence.

13, unlucky for some. Us.

Drawing on the talent within the area,

Oh dear.

the Board will challenge traditional ways of working

and plough on anyway even if the traditional ways of working are found to be best fit. There is a reason they are traditional you know. I wish they would, I dunno, challenge the traditional way of breathing. Personally.

and drive innovative ways of achieving our strategic objectives."

Certainly some expertise when it comes to innovative funding round here, note 'our objectives', not mine, not yours, their objectives.

It'll be another expensive sack of shoite that achieves feck all. How many boards, panels and overarching bodies can a town sustain?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.