Author Topic: Lamplighters Bulletin #8: Lamp posts and Lampoonery  (Read 24722 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Lamplighters Bulletin #8: Lamp posts and Lampoonery
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2010, 04:10:58 PM »
Bobby do not forget me. I baled out and pulled the ripcord, however when I landed I found no one else had followed me still never mind its all politics ;)
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »
Steve I did not class you or Andy as  walkers because I have always thought of you as men with principles and not  glory seeking money grabbing b*****ds that will sell their souls for 32 pieces of silver.
In the words of some great black American preacher "Lordy, Lordy, Lordy the day of reckoning is fast approaching."
Bobby

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2010, 04:31:11 PM »
 :emb: cheers Bobby
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

AndyH

« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
:emb: cheers Bobby

Ditto Bobby

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2010, 06:44:19 PM »
Bobby,
IF I get elected I won’t. I never intended having to resign the group in 2003 but I felt I was left with little option at the time. However I cannot foresee that happening again given that the Lib Dems are less totalitarian and greedy than the other lot.    :)

Andy  :angel:
Why does political speak have to be so wordy  :D
Totalitarian - I know what it means, but there are people that probably would struggle with it
especially if it was put on a leaflet.

Just forward thinking  ;D
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Claire Ellis

« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 07:01:15 PM »

Peter crossed once, he was originally a Labour Cllr.

My memory, usually very good on such points, thinks differently. You may want to ask him  :)

I'm sure Peter himself told me that he'd been Tory, then Labour, then Tory. 

Turncoat Mallinson' he was calling himself in those days......

I think he was a Tory on another council, but happy to be corrected

I did before I posted   ;)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 08:21:52 PM »
It makes very little sense - as surely he would have stood as a Tory Candidate in the first place would he not ?

You'd think so, but there are previous examples and the Conservative group already has a small contingent of floor crossers, a couple of which were given important roles:

David Wren - crossed from labour and became a cabinet member - Now the Mayor

Sinead Darker - Crossed from Labour and given safe ward before subsequent re-election - Now Lady Mayoress

Michael Dickinson - crossed from the Lib Dems - Now chair of the Internal Audit Committee

Peter Mallinson - crossed from Tories to Labour and crossed again to Tories - Now the whip (party bully-boy)

Mavis Childs - Crossed from Labour

David Glaholm - left labour, given chair of Scrutiny in reward but cocked up, (no pun intended),  before he could complete his crossing to the Tories

Who have I forgotten?  tell me: leaks@talkswindon.org

Peter crossed once, he was originally a Labour Cllr.

Claire , I am very sorry but I must correct you.

Peter Mallinson was a Tory in the 1990's became disillusioned and joined Labour.  My Mother died in 1997 but made an entry in her address book - Peter Mallinson (Conservative Candidate) 13, The Bramptons.  I would be happy to show it to you.

He came here from Malmesbury in the 1980's, was he involved in politics there?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 08:58:17 PM »

:popcorn:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 09:08:10 PM »

:popcorn:
:popcorn: :popcorn:
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2010, 09:27:43 PM »

Peter Mallinson was a Tory in the 1990's became disillusioned and joined Labour.  My Mother died in 1997 but made an entry in her address book - Peter Mallinson (Conservative Candidate) 13, The Bramptons.  I would be happy to show it to you.

If you are correct and he  was a tory member, and if he was a candidate as per your late mothers entry in her address book in the Bramptons? Was he possibly by any chance during this period of disillusionment an independent tory candidate, or an official tory candidate before joining the labour party? Do you know?  :coffee:

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Claire Ellis

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2010, 05:32:57 AM »

Lovely Richard, you can correct me any time!

I will ask him again, but it will have to wait until later.  I am not sure a phone call would go down too well at this time of morning.   :tickedoff:

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2010, 09:14:45 AM »
Claire

Peter is a councillor on Swindon Borough Council, he is the Conservative Whip and also Chair of Health External Scrutiny. I find it difficult to understand why he is not answering for himself? As a councillor I believe using 3rd party intemediaries is never the best tool, however it is an option you can choose to use. There are times when I do and I am content to use it. I know from experience that the majority of politicians I speak to and hear talking believe the media also a 3rd party intermediary are occaisionally thought to misquote them ;D

Peter can choose to or not to speak to TS, which would be for some on here I suspect preferable to you being the messenger? Anyway that is down to Cllr Mallinson. I know his view on TS as he has told me on more than one occaision. So to be fair if he is telling you and you are posting on here with his knowledge I am a tad puzzled :-\

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
As a councillor I believe using 3rd party intemediaries is never the best tool,

Unfortunately, as thread after thread, and topic after topic reveals, asking the questions here and then getting the info from people who care about the truth is often the best if not only way of getting answers: It may not be the best way for councillors - but not necessarily the case for the constituents!

I know from experience that the majority of politicians I speak to and hear talking believe the media also a 3rd party intermediary are occaisionally thought to misquote them

I'm not entirely clear I understand you here Steve, but it seems to me that unless you're a politician with the magical skills to enable you to braodcast your thoughts directly into the minds of your constituents, or maybe some sort of minaret and tannoy on the side of your house from which you can utter pronouncements, communicating to your electorate is almost ALWAYS going to involved some sort of third party!

The willful ludditism of so many in the council speaks more about their lack of confidence and lack of awareness about what their own parties are actually doing rather than the niave aspirations and hopes of the people of Swindon. Perhaps Rod thought the best way to create 'connection' was going to be through the inevitable bolt-on services which would be available to the council through Wi-Fi.... Was it a Freudian slip when GetSignal badged their site 'Connecting People, Connecting Places' a few weeks back? (NOTE, that was quickly removed). Are Rod and co. trying to set up an electronic SBC Pravda?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2010, 09:48:41 AM »
Claire

Peter is a councillor on Swindon Borough Council, he is the Conservative Whip and also Chair of Health External Scrutiny. I find it difficult to understand why he is not answering for himself? As a councillor I believe using 3rd party intemediaries is never the best tool, however it is an option you can choose to use. There are times when I do and I am content to use it. I know from experience that the majority of politicians I speak to and hear talking believe the media also a 3rd party intermediary are occaisionally thought to misquote them ;D

Peter can choose to or not to speak to TS, which would be for some on here I suspect preferable to you being the messenger? Anyway that is down to Cllr Mallinson. I know his view on TS as he has told me on more than one occaision. So to be fair if he is telling you and you are posting on here with his knowledge I am a tad puzzled :-\

It is my ernest hope that at some time soon we will get Councillors on here to talk to us direct and not through third parties.

Steve W seems to be the only exception presently.  Yes DG I know you post but you are not seeking re election.

Not that it isn't nice to communicate with our Claire who saw more of me during the 2008 elections than she did of her husband, Wayne!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2010, 10:23:13 AM »

I'm not entirely clear I understand you here Steve, but it seems to me that unless you're a politician with the magical skills to enable you to braodcast your thoughts directly into the minds of your constituents, or maybe some sort of minaret and tannoy on the side of your house from which you can utter pronouncements, communicating to your electorate is almost ALWAYS going to involved some sort of third party!

I was making the point that where it is possible then speak for yourself directly to people. By what ever means, passing messages down the line become confused. I know this from experience within the police. I am sure Cllr Mallinson as a former officer in the services will know the famous example of sending a message down the line. The message from the front line is:

"Send reinforcements we're going to advance" (Accurate Berevity and Speed)

When it gets back to HQ via a pass the message on it is now:

Send three and fourpence we are going to a dance.

The other point about connecting  the mind one day I sat down and read of Julius Ceaser and his conquest of Gaul, all based upon his diaries and writings of the time. Because it was written down I was able to connect with his mind across almost two millenia.

The point about the mineret and tannoy, you could have easily used the pulpit and the tannoy as an example most churches I have attended recently  now use microphones and speakers.

My point is Tobes, why do politicians use leaflets and canvassing and hustings, and now the leaders debate on TV, because they prefer to put their message across directly. That is why they find it difficult when that message is passed on, on their behalf.

My point however ham fissted it was made was that Cllr Peter Mallinson can come on TS and aswer the questions himself, he is an articulate councillor and his numerous letters to the advertiser are an example of that.

One point I think you made is about communication. Some politicians prefer to only use the transmit button and forget to switch on the recieve button. in the last few days the only councillors on here that posted have been Cllr Glaholm and myself. I have not seen any communication on here from Rikki Hunt about connecting people connecting places. A man who is the CEO of a company that the council has a 40% share in. That is Mobile connectivity, is it only me that sees the irony here?

What does that say? Oh and yes Tobes I am a luddite I may come on here and I may blog but I am not up to speed with the technology like what you are  only this morning I trashed a comment on my blog from the chav by clicking the wrong button, and Geoff knows I did that to him a couple of times I can only apologise. So Yes Chav I will  ::)

Tobes I do think my post is a long one to your reply, but if you poke a stick in and wiggle it I find it enjoyable to answer. :-X

Offline Claire Ellis

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2010, 12:45:51 PM »
Claire

I am for once lost for words, but don’t worry it won’t last long.  ............ .... :-X

That’s enough of that.  For you think that Peter would ever use me as his conduit amazes me, nay floors me, especially as you say you know Peter and his views.  Or are you just out for a tête à tête?

I do not speak for Peter, It was just chance that I had had a conversation with him about it recently and thought I would add my half pennies worth. 

As Peter has not been vocal on here for some time, I just thought I would follow on from Geoff’s thread and ask him myself.  As I see him at Walcot Library every week, it’s not really putting me out.

Some quotes are just made; you don’t always need to read something in to something that is not there! 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:13:45 PM by Claire Ellis »

Offline Muggins

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »
 regarding the reference to Rikki Hunt  not commenting on connecting people connecting places,  I think we should be offended if he does.  They can call their blessed wifif thing anything but.   It just clouds the issue of comnnectin people connectin places which is supposed to be about communites and getting some power back to local people and promoting democracy.  If anything shows up the lack of it, it's the pages and pages on the wifi issue. 

Come to think of it as we wre told that BLuh and Jones were not for moving on the name, perhpas it was Hunt that suggested it.  Seems he's running this town anyway. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2010, 06:14:46 PM »
regarding the reference to Rikki Hunt  not commenting on connecting people connecting places,  I think we should be offended if he does.  They can call their blessed wifif thing anything but.   It just clouds the issue of comnnectin people connectin places which is supposed to be about communites and getting some power back to local people and promoting democracy.  If anything shows up the lack of it, it's the pages and pages on the wifi issue. 

Come to think of it as we wre told that BLuh and Jones were not for moving on the name, perhpas it was Hunt that suggested it.  Seems he's running this town anyway.

Interesting post much food :popcorn: for thought  :coffee:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2012, 10:53:54 PM »

Bumpity, bump, bump bump.....

Time to give this topic a :wakeup: call