Author Topic: On the way home tonight I put a fiver on a dog.  (Read 1607 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

On the way home tonight I put a fiver on a dog.
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:16 PM »
It came first I asked the bookie for my winnings, he said sorry mate, you will have to wait, oh I said is there a problem, no he said its the new rules. What is that I asked? Oh he said your dog only beat the second one by a nose. I said is it the photo we are waiting for no he said what they do now is they ask those that lost, which one they prefer to win, its called AV or something; its been invented by a bloke called Brown.

Oh yes that's where If you vote for one of the two most popular parties you only get to vote once. If you vote for a party that cannot win you effectively vote twice, as your second preference then helps decide which of the front runners has won; yes he said easy aint it. Anyway they all voted for the second dog to win so I lost my fiver. I said it was first past the post so why can't I have my winnings? Sorry guv its the rules, your dog only just beat second place.

I said actually what would be fair is to put all the other dogs in the kennels then let the first and second dogs run off to see who the winner is. He said sorry mate you can't do that coz the third dog  in the orange would never win!   :tickedoff:

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Re: On the way home tonight I put a fiver on a dog.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 11:36:03 PM »
It came first I asked the bookie for my winnings, he said sorry mate, you will have to wait, oh I said is there a problem, no he said its the new rules. What is that I asked? Oh he said your dog only beat the second one by a nose. I said is it the photo we are waiting for no he said what they do now is they ask those that lost, which one they prefer to win, its called AV or something; its been invented by a bloke called Brown.

Oh yes that's where If you vote for one of the two most popular parties you only get to vote once. If you vote for a party that cannot win you effectively vote twice, as your second preference then helps decide which of the front runners has won; yes he said easy aint it. Anyway they all voted for the second dog to win so I lost my fiver. I said it was first past the post so why can't I have my winnings? Sorry guv its the rules, your dog only just beat second place.

I said actually what would be fair is to put all the other dogs in the kennels then let the first and second dogs run off to see who the winner is. He said sorry mate you can't do that coz the third dog  in the orange would never win!   :tickedoff:

By characterising an election as a horse race you make a persuasive case for the status quo.

But look at it from a different perspective.

How many seats in the commons are held by Green Party MPs? Zero.

How many people voted for Green Party candidates in the last general election? I don't know, but I'm sure it's more than zero.

(Swindon Lad, if you're reading this, you seem to have an interest in this sort of thing, do you have the numbers to hand? Would you also happen to have the corresponding numbers for the lib dems?)

The current system gives unfair advantage to the parties which already have lots of MPs (and lots of money for marketing) and disenfranchises the supporters of alternative candidates or parties.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:32:52 AM »
The current system gives unfair advantage to the parties which already have lots of MPs (and lots of money for marketing) and disenfranchises the supporters of alternative candidates or parties.
But I don't think the alternative vote system does anything for those parties: it just re-arranges the seats amongst the big parties.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline swindonlad

• Vote UK Discussion Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:42:10 PM »

By characterising an election as a horse race you make a persuasive case for the status quo.

But look at it from a different perspective.

How many seats in the commons are held by Green Party MPs? Zero.

How many people voted for Green Party candidates in the last general election? I don't know, but I'm sure it's more than zero.

(Swindon Lad, if you're reading this, you seem to have an interest in this sort of thing, do you have the numbers to hand? Would you also happen to have the corresponding numbers for the lib dems?)

I am into psephology

here are all the votes

South Swindon
Anne Snelgrove Labour 17,534
Robert Buckland Conservative 16,181
Sue Stebbing Liberal Democrat 7,322
Bill Hughes Green 1,234
Stephen Halden UK Independence Party 955
Alan Hayward Independent 193
John Williams Independent 53

North Swindon
Michael Wills Labour 19,612
Justin Tomlinson Conservative 17,041
Mike Evemy Liberal Democrat 6,831
Robert Tingey UK Independence Party 998
Andy Newman Socalist Unity 208
Ernest Reynolds Independent 195

Offline swindonlad

• Vote UK Discussion Forum
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:57:09 PM »
I would say that this is a really typical 2 way Conservative - Labour marginal.  Even at local elections it's these 2 parties that do well.

Looking at the areas of strength for the other parties

Only Eastcott has provided a long term strong base for the Lib Dems - outside of this they have held seats, but usually only when the party in power nationally becomes unpopular This year - look out for Penhill (Sorry Andy if I have just doomed your campaign), although if it's on the same day as the general election guess they will all be enjoying a day out in Chippenham at the expense of the locals here.

no other party has got close to winning a seat for a while

UKIP - seem to do better in the east of the town rather than the west, only thing I can put this down to is this is where they have their activists & their PPCs live over there

Greens - mainly show well in Old Town & Lawn / Eastcott, partially due to Bill being a well known name, outside of these areas nothing much

Socalist (whatever branch Andy's in this year) - will stand (although I hear never against a Green) most years.  Usually worth getting hold of his literature as it is rather different to the other parties.

BNP - will stand where there is a large white working class vote & so far have not registered on the radar in Swindon.  The main effect they could have is taking enough votes off Labour to let another party through

Have I missed anyone, if so, apologies

AndyH

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:33:33 PM »
This year - look out for Penhill (Sorry Andy if I have just doomed your campaign),

You’re forgiven….

although if it's on the same day as the general election guess they will all be enjoying a day out in Chippenham at the expense of the locals here.

Who can tell who will be where on the day….???   :-X

BNP - will stand where there is a large white working class vote & so far have not registered on the radar in Swindon.  The main effect they could have is taking enough votes off Labour to let another party through

Their Agent is attending the council’s agents briefing this Friday so anticipate their candidates if not for the general at least the locals. I suspect they will stand in both.   :puke:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »
Should Mr Muggins pop his clogs perhaps there is a place for Muggins as the Green candidate in Penhill or Swindon North?

Now where did I put that pot of grease?  Watch out stairs here I come.   :D
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

AndyH

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »
Should Mr Muggins pop his clogs perhaps there is a place for Muggins as the green candidate in Penhill or Swindon North?

whats that wishful thinking... poor old Mr Muggins...

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 04:42:10 PM »
No, but now you know what stands between me a glittering career in politics. 

Well, that a couple of  elections and ten of thousands of votes. 

I always remember your offer of being my agent, remember that aye?   Stay with me - I'll make you famous.  :2funny:

ps You'll be in that book anyway.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 11:47:59 PM »
although if it's on the same day as the general election guess they will all be enjoying a day out in Chippenham at the expense of the locals here.

Not very likely ;-)