Author Topic: The demise of British industry - jobs gone that will not come back  (Read 682 times)

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
Quote: Cadbury's new owner, Kraft, says it plans to close the company's Somerdale factory in Keynsham, near Bristol.

Just last week it said it would keep it open. The shutdown would mean the loss of 400 jobs.  :censored:

I know that some of our parlimentray candidates are out there and i would like to ask all of them a question, What is your opinion? Is this something to be prevented, encoraged or just to wash your hands of once elected.

I am rather hoping to hear from all parties.

Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
Re: The demise of British industry - jobs gone that will not come back
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 09:43:36 PM »
The government record (not just the current one) on 'saving' jobs isn't stunning though. Just recall what happened over the Rover Longbridge plant. I'd rather they left industry to manage itself as far as possible, whilst doing what they can not to discourage new manufacturing industry.

In the case of the Somerdale factory, Cadbury had also intended to close it, so it can't be blamed entirely on the new overseas owners.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 10:44:43 PM »
I used to go to the Fry's Factory at Keynsham Somerdale about once a month, a bloke in Shrivenham Road Swindon actually won a prize for naming it somerdale [he was a runner up]  I think it was a fiver (One of those big white ones) and x boxes and bars of chocolate. That was in the 1920s.

It has been shrinking since 1981 started under Thatcher's war on the machines, it is a massive green area with a relatively small factory on it. The value for building land is an opportunity ill afforded to a council such as BANES too often. The 106 will help out. (being a tad ironical here) IT WILL PROVIDE MUCH NEEDED HOUSING SAID DAN NORRIS lOCAL LABOUR MP. I find it mind boggling that in this country we can no longer even manufactur chocolate bars effectively!
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 10:58:35 PM »
I played cricket there a couple of times in the late 80s/early 90s... it looked like it probably needed significant modernisation.

Fully agree about the huge amount of land at the site - the recreation grounds were absolutely huge.

It's very sad for those who will lose their jobs.  I wonder if our government (of whatever party) could give bigger tax breaks for reinvestment as a way to encourage companies to site their next generation factories here...

Moley