Author Topic: Giving Oral To the Special Committee  (Read 15979 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: Giving Oral To the Special Committee
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »
At a national and local level what annoys me the most is the making of good policy and compacts then totally ignoring them - or not even realising they ahd made them in the first place.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Piston Broke

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2010, 05:10:55 PM »
At a national and local level what annoys me the most is the making of good policy and compacts then totally ignoring them - or not even realising they ahd made them in the first place.

Are you saying that the council has no idea of what it has done or has no idea of what it is doing? Is there an example of this or are there lots of examples to numerous to detail?  :bash:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2010, 06:37:34 PM »
One, for instance, is the Swindon Compact, I am sure a few instances can be found where this has been forgotten.

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/community/compactdevelopment.htm

Another is probably the Neighbourhood Renewal Strategy. Well let me put it this way, I would love them to give details of how that strategy is being forwarde and implemented. 

There are more. Over to you Liz at Redoubt.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Liz Walker

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010, 08:45:34 AM »

There are more. Over to you Liz at Redoubt.

Just seen this and am on my way out the door so will be brief.
The Compact is great on paper, as are some of SBC's Policies.  In practise however they do suffer some operational issues and it can be difficult getting those issues acknowledged or addressed.  :angel:
Redoubt-supporting victims of anti-social behaviour in Swindon. swindonredoubt@live.co.uk

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »
Muggins

I believe there are about 400 strategies of one sort or another floating in the SBC emporium of policies procedures etc which initself must be a finite number, but I do not think anybody has actually councted or audited that number.

All I know is that Connecting Places Connecting People, can allow a policy/strategy to be discussed at a cluster meeting. It is done at the WSFCM. So maybe you will want to put it on the agenda for your next cluster meeting. ;)

(N.B. I am using Connecting Places Connecting People as I believe that people may get confused with connecting people connecting places  Wi-fi tag line. I have already been asked by other people if they can use the name. I have stated that they need to check if there are any copyright issues.)
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »
Connecting People Connecting Places,  Some say Conning People Conning Places

Offline Muggins

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »

(N.B. I am using Connecting Places Connecting People as I believe that people may get confused with connecting people connecting places  Wi-fi tag line. I have already been asked by other people if they can use the name. I have stated that they need to check if there are any copyright issues.)

As it's such a daft long winded name to start with and already abbreviated by officers, meaning anyone not in the know doesn't understand what they are on about, why would anyone else want to use it.   the name itself is already a barrier to sensible conversation about engagement. 

400 strategems and policies - not worth having if no one can remember what they contain.

Has anyone actually added up the cost of them? 

The Swindon (planning) Plan is a case in point it takes several years and drafts to prepare planning policy etc.m, for the next 15 years, then it can be turned into a cocked hat at the mere mention of a developer coming in and wanting something different. 

Come to think of it, that's probably why no one (except them they concern)  bothers with them after they are commited to paper.

Perhpas a mission statment should cover all - sorry not a mission statement but an 'ethos' statement - like "Be honest, be kind, be fair, be open"

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
Thanks Geoff, I really didn't think it would be the same.
Can read you chapter and verse having experienced marginalisation as only SBC can do it.  The words 'pigeon holed' and 'marginalised 'are well used throughout the community sector - with very good reason.

Trouble is, to tell you all the incidences of it would take a book not a short posting.  But don't worry sooner or later the book will come. (It's how I intend to make the groups sustainable).  I'm still here, only because I'm stubborn.

Now that would be an interesting book.

Keep on being stubborn (arrgh, I've lost the thumbs-up smiley again)
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »

As it's such a daft long winded name to start with and already abbreviated by officers, meaning anyone not in the know doesn't understand what they are on about, why would anyone else want to use it.   the name itself is already a barrier to sensible conversation about engagement. 

400 strategems and policies - not worth having if no one can remember what they contain.

Has anyone actually added up the cost of them? 

The Swindon (planning) Plan is a case in point it takes several years and drafts to prepare planning policy etc.m, for the next 15 years, then it can be turned into a cocked hat at the mere mention of a developer coming in and wanting something different. 

Come to think of it, that's probably why no one (except them they concern)  bothers with them after they are commited to paper.

Perhpas a mission statment should cover all - sorry not a mission statement but an 'ethos' statement - like "Be honest, be kind, be fair, be open"

Perhaps you want to ask for that to be considered at one of your cluster meetings?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2010, 01:32:33 PM »
What cluster meetings??

We've only had one not in our area, not well attended but a complete success of course. 

Oh no! don't lets start that one again! 

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 04:53:26 PM »
What cluster meetings??

We've only had one not in our area, not well attended but a complete success of course. 

Oh no! don't lets start that one again!

Muggins
I had almost forgot about 'Cluster Meetings', I went to the same one that you did last year (2009).
I don't think we have had another once since as usually they are submitted to go in our community news letter , Penhill News.

I recon we must well over due another one !
Unless the powers that be want us to forget!

Time to find out when our next one should have been is me thinks.
I think an email/phone call/visit may be needed.
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 01:54:09 AM »
Do you feel that it's a microcosm? of whats happening nationally, funny mix of politics.  

Yup.

I know it is.

They are one big blob of self serving twats who see politics as a rewarding profession, but not rewarding in the honourable sense.

There are exceptions, probably. Maybe you can find one.

In the words of the song 'It's hateful'.

A Swindon Councillor who isn't self serving ...... nows there's a challenge (only at the free buffet table i suspect)
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Piston Broke

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 08:41:43 AM »
A Swindon Councillor who isn't self serving ...... nows there's a challenge (only at the free buffet table i suspect)

:2funny:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 09:44:39 AM »
Ref North Central Cluster meetings, to be fair I think they are trying a different way here - proabably realising that our cluster wards are hardly linked properly, perhaps they are taking a leaf from the Muggins motto - go to where people are at, not where you want them to be. 

All the stuff they did at the cluster day, they can do at our events, at least Penhill (and we know ion Pinehurst too) communties turn out to the events we put on.  I hope SBC will be at the Splash Park/British Legion event in April and there will be a community open day and community lunch so we'll get to have the same access to info.  And they are doign one of those Housing Fairs mid summer too

Piston Broke

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 09:57:04 AM »
I am confused here, Muggins says to be fair, now that is an idea fairs! Then there is a housing fair! A splash park event, sorry to pour cold water on it. Does the council not have all the resources and 7000 officers and a 140 million pound budget to ensure it touches into every crevise of our daily lives in this town?

The fact is that it should be easy for the council to do this job easily. The splash park event sounds great fun (its on FB) the housing fair maybe fun too? The cluster sounds like it needs livening up, from what I read all the cluster meetings are reported as a great success, by the media and council. But people who go say they are not that good.

Local people know what is best for them and what fits their community. Muggins I am with you on this one :clap:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 10:19:42 AM »
I am confused here, Muggins says to be fair, now that is an idea fairs! Then there is a housing fair! A splash park event, sorry to pour cold water on it. Does the council not have all the resources and 7000 officers and a 140 million pound budget to ensure it touches into every crevise of our daily lives in theis town?

The fact is that it should be easy for the council to do this job easily. The splash park event sounds great fun (its on FB) the housing fair maybe fun too? The cluster sounds like it needs livening up, from what I read all the cluster meetings are reported as a great success, by the media and council. But people who go say they are not that good.

Local people know what is best for them and what fits their community so Muggins I am with you on this one :clap:

Me too  :clap:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
Just to clarify -

Splash Park event, community led/organised and I don't know how they are funding it - Chav to say. Fun Day, will probably be the big community  event this year.

Community Lunch, Penhill tradition, community led/organised, will be funded from our small grant from SBC.  Usually groups orgs and statutories - networking event - very useful and a bit of a thank you to the volunteers.

Community Open Day - same.  Groups orgs and statutories invited to display stuff and passrs by invited in to see what's on.

Housing Information Fayre - Council led/organised.  Hopefully community groups will be invited. Some fun stuff to attract parents and children to pick up useful info.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 05:58:46 PM »
Splash Park event, community led/organised and I don't know how they are funding it - Chav to say. Fun Day, will probably be the big community  event this year.

Yep
Due to take place on Saturday 24th Apri - Theme St George's Celebration.
It will kick off at Penhill British Legion with something in the day for the whole family both inside and outside , various stalls etc. and fancy dress for the kids, in the evening, the event will continue in the Legion and adults can wear fancy dress based on either St George, the dragon, or the maiden.
(at our last meeting I asked if  I could come dressed as an Iron maiden - people just gave me that look  :o , so I guess not  ;D )

I will give an update on whats what re: stalls and re: evening in the way of a band/disco etc.
It should be a lot of fun.
It reminds me, I also need to get the minutes done from our last meeting !

It should be a good event - anyone know where I can borrow some morris dancers from ?

Also if anyone has any raffle prizes to donate , that would be really good.  ;)

More details to come.

We are also planning to do a repeat of our summer event that we did last August - so thats another one to watch out for.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
Chav quote: (at our last meeting I asked if  I could come dressed as an Iron maiden - people just gave me that look , so I guess not   )

Full steam ahead then! 

No guessing what I'll be - the old dragon!

Well by no stretch of the imagination could I be a 'maiden'.

Offline Trollee

• Hello !
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2010, 08:02:22 PM »
which one of councillors is responsible for communities, it used to be steve Wakefield