Author Topic: 1a. The Business plan - Public Gallery  (Read 4500 times)

Offline Jarvis

1a. The Business plan - Public Gallery
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:42:22 AM »

Admin edit:

Welcome to the Business Plan public gallery  :)

Admins have been asked to move general comments from the main Business Case thread and place them here.

Dougal

Rod says it's: " been thoroughly investigated and discussed and it had ultimately been determined to be a sound commercial venture" - so what's the problem?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:00:41 PM by Dougal »

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
Re: 1a. The Business plan - Public Gallery
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:51:50 AM »

Rod says it's: " been thoroughly investigated and discussed and it had ultimately been determined to be a sound commercial venture" - so what's the problem?

Because Jarvis he is playing with our money not his that why it is a problem.

If I had the opportunity to ask him.  Would he match this loan which he has negotiated in his capacity as Leader of Swindon Borough Council, with £450,000 of his own money?

Probably not but then it isn't his money is it that he putting at risk.

Will someone please tell me the difference between Blair and Rod's behaviour here?  Following Cameron as the Heir to Blair I guess.  Is he after a peerage already?

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:44:25 AM »
Geoff:
Don Rumsfeld said this:
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, or vice versa.
                                                                                                                                     I had never really thought about it until recently. ;)
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 10:55:36 AM »
I am disgusted at the whole bloody thing !
The way in which I perceive it is that it feels to me like its all cloak and dagger, I am a tax payer and I like
to know where my hard earned cash is going - and I like to be given an option to voice my opinion.

Was I sent a letter in the post in the form of a survey asking me questions re: WIFI and asking as a tax payer do I think its a good investment that would benefit swindon 'NO'

I hope people have learned from this, and I want to see a council who are transparent in all they do, even If I dont agree with some things, at least then I know they are being open about things.

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 02:23:54 PM »
Jenni,

You will be the right person to 'Scrutinise' it then when we have all the details, assuming they don't go bust first.

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 03:53:13 PM »

Welcome to the Business Plan public gallery  :)

Admins have been asked to move general comments from the main Business Case thread and place them here.

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 07:12:41 PM »
what got me interested in this area was the tweet implying that topography had caused problems...

my expertise is less in wifi equipment and more in telecomms - but a borough wide mesh would to me be somewhere between the two in terms of provisioning complexity.. (or maybe the equipment to set up the wifi mesh is so simple that I'm just over-worrying).

In the telecomms space, I'd expect some reconfiguration and tweaking of the network to be required, and if you've not got network planning and management software this becomes labour internsive.

(But if you've wifi mesh experience I'll drop my concerns).

Moley

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 07:13:54 PM »
PS

I'm not suggesting the technology is unproven - I'm suggesting that (from telecomms experience) I'm aware of a number of projects that underestimated the effort to set the network up as opposed to just buying the equipment.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 07:20:29 PM »
what got me interested in this area was the tweet implying that topography had caused problems...

my expertise is less in wifi equipment and more in telecomms - but a borough wide mesh would to me be somewhere between the two in terms of provisioning complexity.. (or maybe the equipment to set up the wifi mesh is so simple that I'm just over-worrying).

In the telecomms space, I'd expect some reconfiguration and tweaking of the network to be required, and if you've not got network planning and management software this becomes labour internsive.

(But if you've wifi mesh experience I'll drop my concerns).

Moley

Don't drop your concerns on my account. I have put a small wifi mesh together, it was relatively painless and the management software was sound. I know nothing of the equipment that Digital City is using or how it scales.
Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »
and they shouldn't have deployed enough equipment to have hit real scaling issues yet... so I'm assuming that can't be contributing to their slower than planned rollout

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 09:35:04 PM »
This is an up to the minute report in a local newspaper in the states on a system that has operated in their town  for 5 years. http://www.chaskaherald.com/news/business-news/time-re-boot-chaska-net-102

Reading into it, it looks like it does not have any new take ups and is just servicing its debt? From what I can see there is not the competition from other companies ie cable companies would not provide competitive prices, (Different from over here), in this city.It looks like the business case in one example has an exit strategy.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:52:00 PM by Steve Wakefield »
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 10:04:11 PM »
This is an up to the minute report in a local newspaer in the states on a system that has operated in their town  for 5 years. http://www.chaskaherald.com/news/business-news/time-re-boot-chaska-net-102

Reading into it, it looks like it does not have any new take ups and is just servicing its debt? From what I can see there is not the competition from other companies ie cable companies would not provide competitive prices, (Different from over here), in this city.It looks like the business case in one example has an exit strategy.

Steve, Well there is a case study and a half. Note the main point that this is a public owned utility and therefore does not have to make a profit and is happy to break even. Also if it does make a profit then it all goes into the council coffers.

Also does highlight one advantage of Network City in that they have contributed to the reduced  price of broadband from the incumbents.

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 10:19:39 PM »
A question about EU competition legislation was raised by Dialaride at the last full council meeting. It came up when (Cllr Jim Grant slammed into the controlling group I mean slammed a report/business case put together by the council that showed why Dialaride should have 50k lopped off its budget. Dialaride people attending kept saying that "we are told by the council that we are not allowed to bid for contracts for council transportation."

I believe from what Dialaride have since stated the EU relaxed this in respect of charities receiving council/public funding/grants. There was a bit of a disagreement about a call for a meeting to discuss this  and the leader stated that they would all be meeting the next day. This meeting did take place, but I have not heard if the matter has been resolved.

The adver reported:"The debate centres around EU legislation that excludes authorities funding private businesses. According to Swindon Council’s Labour group, which raised the issue at Thursday’s full council meeting, the same legislation would make it illegal for Swindon Council to subsidise the service."

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/4857801.Dispute_continues_over_Dial_A_Ride/