Author Topic: 1: The Business Plan and the £450,000 Loan to Digital City (UK) Ltd  (Read 34219 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: 1: The Business Plan and the £450,000 Loan to Digital City (UK) Ltd
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2011, 09:11:11 AM »
Thanks ph1Lc
Interesting Cllr Wakefield.

What you are saying is that DC presented a plan to enable the Council to release the rest of the loan, then a soon as it was signed off scrapped it.

The answer to that is as always it is open to interpretation, but it is a question that I am working through at present.

Who at SBC was responsible for monitoring the Council's investment. My experience of investors of this type ( mainly Venture Capitalists and Major Banks) is that they want constant detailed management accounts, together with progress updates.

A professionally qualified officer who also acts as 151 officer.

As the person ultimately responsible for the finances at SBC, the Director of Finance either 1) Knows exactly where the Council's money has been spent or 2) Is totally incompetant.

I as a councilllor have no influence as to how the council invests money, that is down to professional officers. What we have been told £70 millions is the amount of money that is available, and £400k is a portion of that. I would be confident that the same vigilence is applied to all investments, regardless of amount. I believe that vigilence is based upon a risk basis and not the size portion of the loan?

As my ward Counciller Steve, can you please ask him which?

ph1lc I will certainly ask the questions of Cllr Mark Edwards Lead for Finance for you as written in your post, or if you have any others or wish to add/ammend the questions then please feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the questions
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline MikeHeal

• Hello !
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2011, 01:15:15 AM »
Does Mr Hunt ever say the same thing twice or is he afrad to repaet himself?
I only ask as on te evening of Friday 12/02/11 Mr hunt on BBC Points West anounced that the mysterious investor would be anounced next month but in this very forum it has been pointed out that the Council was told this would be done within a few weeks and that was at the end of January?

This also begs the question as the deputy leader of Swindon Council is a member of Board of Digital City Ltd why was he nowhere to be seen during the BBC report?
Surely as a prominant member of our community he should have been given us a full facts and explaining the Councils reaction to and forth coming actions regarding the situation of Swindon Wi-Fi.
My final question is, the BBC article made it clear that according to one experienced company in Wi-Fi development the total cost ofr a project this size would be in the region of 8 to 10 Million pounds. At which point does the Council and Digital City Ltd come clean as to what they expected to do and or get for the £450,000 apent on the project?

Offline boothill

« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »
Just out of interest I had a peek at the DC webite a moment ago.

No mention of Senor Hunt and when I queried their "interests" with the word Swindon....this came back..

Sorry no results.

You searched for:

swindon

Old people believe everything...middle aged people suspect everything...young people know everything    3 2 1 back in the room !

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »
Interesting front page to Get Signal

http://www.getsignal.co.uk/

got from Rikki's Linkedin entry

http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/rikki-hunt/13/4b9/274

click on Avidity Consulting and it brings up Swindon Commercial Services, WHY?  I only noticed this when the number of employees was noted as being 1200 so I looked at it more carefully.  Why do the council permit this link or is it another 'mistake'?

and surprise surprise you cannot click on Digital City again WHY?

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »
Not sure which part is most amusing

"Executive business coach

Strong leadership style, focused thinking and a good understanding of how to manage change in challenging business environments, has a track record of consistently deliver-ing profits to key investors and stakeholders. "

Maybe this part
"Swindon has a thriving economy and significant growth plans. It is expanding to become a major regional centre offering a high-quality lifestyle in the South West. The New Swindon Company was the Vehicle making this happen."
  :2funny:

Not surprisingly, a whole host of property development motivated agencies.
More flats anyone? How about another hotel?

Proud to be gone

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »
I have noticed that the get signal website has changed!  Has he forgot to pay the renewal?

http://www.getsignal.co.uk/

PS Can some one put a screen print on for posterity as seem to be struggling using my laptop

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2011, 11:02:10 PM »

Welcome to getsignal.co.uk

Related Searches

* Search DNS
    * Opel Auto
    * Ford Auto
    * Search
    * Directory
    * Inserzioni Auto Usate
    * Audi Auto
    * Web Directory
    * Search Engine
    * Milano Auto
    * Auto Seat Slider

* El Mundo
    * The Globe
    * New York Post
    * Japanese Paper
    * Excelsior
    * Courier

plus pictures that would not copy

Anyone know how to do it?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2011, 11:06:48 PM »
Is this it.

He's not paid the website bill and the hosting company has pulled it.

This is a covering page for the website host

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2011, 08:18:14 AM »
Never mind. You can still get a laugh at the over-puffed Aqovia web-site:

http://www.aqovia.com/about-us.html

Or be amazed at the CV of the erstwhile Space-Cadet and Rikki's fellow Director of Digital City and Aqovia Mustafa Arif. It appears that Mustafa gained his vast experience at the same time as being a student:

http://mustafa.arif.me.uk/about

Now, who came up with the original WiFi idea? Rikki sitting in his bath with a Eureka moment or the young Space-Cadet Mustafa? Did Mustafa get his hand into the back pocket of the more experineced Rikki before Rikki new what was going on?
What's it all about?

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2011, 09:45:57 AM »
Look what SBC Chef Exec Gavin Jones said about outsourcing in 2006:

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/01/31/213965/Swindon-appoints-outsourcing-expert-to-run-10-year-deal.htm

The pre-amble,
Swindon Council has hired a private sector IT director, Hitesh Patel, to push through a major outsourcing project.
The council published a tender notice last week and aims to transfer some customer facing systems to a strategic partner by 1 November.
The council expects to transfer its revenues, benefits and back-office functions, including finance, human resources and IT, to the partner in a 10-year deal worth £18.5m a year. It aims to sign the contract on 1 October.

The lessons,
Swindon Council's lessons for successful outsourcing
Before embarking on its outsourcing strategy, Swindon Council looked at the experiences of other councils that have used strategic partners.
Deputy chief executive Gavin Jones identified three lessons:
·   Be clear about the outcomes expected from strategic partners
·   Link delivery of outcomes to the payment mechanism
·   Both council and supplier must be able to afford any deal.

Did someone  forget all of these lessons with the WiFi contract?
What's it all about?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2011, 12:13:23 AM »

Gavin Jones and Hitesh Patel are both from corporate backgrounds.  I doubt either of them anticipated the sheer level of ideologically driven political interference Rod Bluh and his Bluhnderbirds would generate.

Or idiocy, incompetence, ineptitude and dumbness.

I was once told that Swindons Conservatives had a higher-than-average number of failed businessmen amongst their ranks.  I have no idea if it is true, but I'm listening.... leaks@talkswindon.org

Offline Ringer

« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2011, 10:20:32 AM »
Look what SBC Chef Exec Gavin Jones said about outsourcing in 2006:

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2006/01/31/213965/Swindon-appoints-outsourcing-expert-to-run-10-year-deal.htm

The pre-amble,
Swindon Council has hired a private sector IT director, Hitesh Patel, to push through a major outsourcing project.
The council published a tender notice last week and aims to transfer some customer facing systems to a strategic partner by 1 November.
The council expects to transfer its revenues, benefits and back-office functions, including finance, human resources and IT, to the partner in a 10-year deal worth £18.5m a year. It aims to sign the contract on 1 October.

The lessons,
Swindon Council's lessons for successful outsourcing
Before embarking on its outsourcing strategy, Swindon Council looked at the experiences of other councils that have used strategic partners.
Deputy chief executive Gavin Jones identified three lessons:
·   Be clear about the outcomes expected from strategic partners
·   Link delivery of outcomes to the payment mechanism
·   Both council and supplier must be able to afford any deal.

Did someone  forget all of these lessons with the WiFi contract?

What Swindon Council says and what it does look to be poles apart unless of course wifi has nothing to do with computers and digital technology so Gavin Jones's CEO of SBC remarks would not apply would they?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Mike Taylor

• Roll on the revolution!
    • Swindon Swindlers
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2011, 10:59:51 AM »
I find it hilarious when Councillors and Politicians jump on the bandwagon they think is putting them 'up there' deeming themselves to be "Wiv It" innit!  ::)

Just like Gordon Brown and his Digital Britain Dream in which he was described as "clunking into the digital age with another blunder".

Plus, blunders like:

Stephen Timms, minister for Digital Britain, mistakes IP address for 'Intellectual Property'

Labour and Tories copyright poster Those 'creative' types at the Labour and Conservative parties got in a bit of a pickle when it turned out that they had both illegally used an image of no-nonsense fictional copper DCI Gene Hunt from Ashes to Ashes. It was even more ironic given that it took place in the week in which the government rushed through its controversial Digital Economy Bill.

Government data losses The government has continued to be careless with public data, despite the embarrassment it causes, including the loss of 25 million personal records by HM Revenue & Customs in November 2007. However, memory sticks and laptops keep going missing and many of the devices turn out never to have been encrypted.

Tory leader openly turns on Twitter In July last year, Tory leader David Cameron was asked on the radio why he did not use Twitter. "The trouble with Twitter is the instantness of it. Too many tweets might make a twat," he responded.

Failed central IT projects The NHS programme for IT, the ID cards scheme and the sheer number of government databases all prove that Downing Street has no real idea of the risks, costs and time it takes to implement central IT projects and the degree to which it must rely on expensive consultants.

I'm sure there are a few at SWB who would avoid being reminded about their 'unprofessional' judgements with regards to technology lead decisions. Trouble is, no matter how many 'lessons learned' sessions these incompetent individuals have, they never ever learn. They'll still be elected, they'll still be in charge of your money and they'll still end up with Cluster Feck style cock ups, which ultimately, costs us a fortune.  These people should be dragged out of office, paraded through the streets, have their arses wacked  :bottom: and made to pay back these debts personally, maybe then they'll be much more accountable for 'our' money

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2011, 11:23:23 AM »

Ah, paying for their mistakes personally.....

... a great way to focus their minds on the tasks in-hand and spending/risking our money cautiously.  Unfortunately I think the laws relating to Ultra-Vires have become somewhat cloudy in relation to municipal corporations like SBC.

I'm of the opinion that virtually the only way to really hold incompetent local government officers and elected members to account is to subject their actions to public scrutiny and debate, (we already know that they won't scrutinise themselves properly), and publicise that scrutiny as widely as possible so, at the next local elections, electors are able to form a better idea of who, and what, they are voting for/against.

It's a sad fact that SBC's adminstration considers anyone scrutinising it as 'enemy combatants'. 

I wear my orange overalls with a certain amount of pride....

Offline Mike Taylor

• Swindon Swindlers
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »

It's a sad fact that SBC's adminstration considers anyone scrutinising it as 'enemy combatants'. 

I wear my orange overalls with a certain amount of pride....

I'm afraid this is the reaction of most people in some form of power in both the public and private sector, it's a culture that feels it has to defend its self rigorously because it has something to hide. Such defensive reactions are always a measure of guilt. The trouble is, if you protest against a form of 'legalised' injustice, you become labelled some sort of activist or even terrorist if the paranoia of those in power gets to that level, which nowadays is very easy. 

Local Authorities thrive on 'labels' and pigeon holes, it fits nicely against all the tick boxes they have to complete on a daily basis, its another way of justifying their actions with some kind of legitimacy. Just looking through the SBC glossy rag emanates coalitions and comfy partnerships they are in bed with, that coupled with the patronising advice on Litter, Sexual Advice and Health sums up the cock sure attitude these institutions thrive in. I mean, what Chav or Wetherspoons clientele is seriously going to pick a copy of it up and look at the pictures let alone read it.   If this is the 'big society', forget it!

I'm off back to Airstrip 1 for a rest, I hear the orange suits now come with a leather strap gag, so I'll probably be paraded around in one not so far away in the near future too, not before a long good fight though.  :fence:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2011, 03:06:26 PM »
I mean, what Chav or Wetherspoons clientele is seriously going to pick a copy of it up and look at the pictures let alone read it.   If this is the 'big society', forget it!

Excuse me !
There are exceptions you know  ???
This Chav reads words as well as pictures and only frequents Wetherspoons on the odd occasion as I am quite partial to the cocktail jugs they do for less than £7-00 quid such as the frilly tutu, the whoo whoo and Jelly baby  O0

Non the less even in Chav society there are those who are very literate indeed and would throw a wobbly if we didn't have words to go with pictures !

We are all in this together remember !    >:D

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Mike Taylor

• Swindon Swindlers
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »
Ooops, didn't realise Chavs frequented this board  :surrender: Ok, Ok, I too have known to have the odd pint of Spitfire in said place now and then. It's good to see we have a better class of Chav right here.

Cocktails aye? Must try the Whoo Whoo sometime  :azn:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2011, 09:19:05 PM »
Ooops, didn't realise Chavs frequented this board  :surrender: Ok, Ok, I too have known to have the odd pint of Spitfire in said place now and then. It's good to see we have a better class of Chav right here.

Cocktails aye? Must try the Whoo Whoo sometime  :azn:

your'e forgiven my friend  O0
Tell you what , If I spot you in 'the place' I will buy you a whoo whoo if you buy me a pint of Spitfire  >:D

Welcome to TS
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Mike Taylor

• Swindon Swindlers
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
Thanks Chav (God, thought I'd never say that to anyone ;D)

Yes, I'm easy to spot, too many Sunday Roasts and a hair style that looks like a Brazilian gone wrong.

O0

Offline Ringer

« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2011, 07:58:49 PM »
Is it correct that there is an asset that does have a value, it is screwed to lamposts in Highworth?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print