Author Topic: WiFi Reference Documents & Sources Thread  (Read 6686 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
WiFi Reference Documents & Sources Thread
« on: February 06, 2010, 02:36:16 AM »
*I'm not seeking any credit for digging these references up, but I really appreciate the time and effort taken by those that did go digging  :clap:

**This post should be treated as 'live' in that it's contents will be continually added to, as and when necessary **

23 July 2008 Cabinet meeting (agenda item 28, giving delegated authority to directors) http://ww2.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListDocuments.asp?CId=285&MId=3388&Ver=4&J=6

13 November 2008 Full Council Meeting - ratification of 'Delegated Authority' decision (agenda item 43)
http://ww2.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListDocuments.asp?CId=284&MId=3427&Ver=4&J=6

14th December 2009 Scrutiny committee meeting   http://ww2.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListDocuments.asp?CId=619&MId=3999&Ver=4&J=13

The printed minutes including Chris Watts' questions and the council responses
http://ww2.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/Published/C00000619/M00003999/$$MDocPackPublic.pdf

and the cabinet briefing note mentioned in agenda item 48.
http://ww2.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/Published/C00000619/M00003999/AI00020051/wifi1.pdf

Jan 2010  Getsignal update to all councillors:

http://www.talkswindon.org/lamplighters/Private/wifi_documents/09_Rikki_Hunt_councillors_update.pdf

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 09:16:39 AM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: WiFi Reference Documents & Sources Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 01:16:03 PM »
I have been made aware of an FOI request made via what do they know and today is the day that our beloved council have undertaken to have given a reply, having delayed it previously.  Does that sound familiar?

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/wifi#incoming-194863

Some very interesting questions for which there should be answers   >:(

I am not holding my breath!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Drone

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 02:16:24 PM »
We are currently in consultation with Digital City (UK), as we need to consider if the information you have requested may be commercially sensitive and therefore be exempt under Section 43 of the Freedom of Information Act.

Or are they currently negotiating on behalf od Digital City? I see no evidence that Digital City is actively doing anything.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »
Are they unaware that the discussion here and in other places about Wifi and digital City are commercially sensitive?

Because I'll tell you what, if I was thinking of investing in something like this, I would not only be listening to the salesman but be Googling like mad!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:59:54 PM »
We are currently in consultation with Digital City (UK), as we need to consider if the information you have requested may be commercially sensitive and therefore be exempt under Section 43 of the Freedom of Information Act.

Digital City, according to Coun Perkins who is a Director of the company, is no longer trading.  As such any agreement made in respect of the loan has zero commercial sensitivity.

Much of the detail has been made available in the Cabinet Briefing Note, the Internal Audit Report and reports to Scrutiny.  The issue of commercial sensitivity is frankly a poor excuse for failure to disclose.

The even more ridiculous excuse is the one in which they claim to be 'in consultation with DC' in what way are they consulting?  The only person who needs to be consulted is one Coun Garry Perkins and his position is compromised because he is also  Deputy Leader of the council.

I love the absurd reference to the debt being due for repayment in October - here is a perfect demonstration of why SBC is challenged by people.  DC owes a capital sum of £400k and interest of over £9,000.  The company has defaulted in making the interest payments and it has also breached its contract with SBC in that it has failed to provide the system which was contracted for. As such the debt is due for repayment immediately and not in October. Although i am sure Stephen Taylor will work out a credible legal argument to suggest otherwise.

Ringer

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:48:16 PM »
Des

Perhaps Rikki lost the share certificate, or his wife, or Garry or uncle Tom Cobblers and all? Yes I also think that there is a credible legal argument to suggest otherwise.

Anyway is it fair/credible to suggest that the council employs legal representatives  to protect the interests of the council, it's councillors, and officers?

If so Who is actually protecting the Swindon council tax payers £400k interest?

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 11:01:03 PM »
If so Who is actually protecting the Swindon council tax payers £400k interest?

I think you can take it as read, that no one engaged in protecting the 'best interests' of the Swindon taxpayer.

Officers simply failed to monitor performance and if they did, they failed miserably to recognise the tell tale signs that all was not well.  Before nayone leaps to their defence simply consider this. The agreement recognised that quarterly sales figures were a realistic measure of the 'commercial viability' of the project  - an yet when the sales figures were zero for more than one quarter, no one within the Civic offices thought to question the efficacy of the project or the management of the scheme.

Councillors buried their heads in the sand, preferring to believe in the 'mystical powers' of one Rikki (for free) Hunt to produce a silk purse from a pigs ear. To whit one Garry Perkins, appointed to the board of DC in April 2010 and yet he was unable to recognise the extent of the financial mess DC was in, nor was he able to realise the lack of management skill being exhibited by his fellow director.  Much worse was his culpability in the demise of DC, it's failure to fulfil its contractual liability and its abject failure to pay its bills on time and in full (I refer to the interest payments to the very council of which he is a leading cabinet member).  Coun perkins was not an idle bystander in this matter - far from it. As a director he had clear and unequivocal responsibilities to ensure his company was able to meet its obligations, as a member of the Council he had a duty to ensure no loss was incurred by the Council. The two matters were compromised the moment he was appointed a director of DC

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »
Coun perkins was not an idle bystander in this matter - far from it. As a director he had clear and unequivocal responsibilities to ensure his company was able to meet its obligations, as a member of the Council he had a duty to ensure no loss was incurred by the Council. The two matters were compromised the moment he was appointed a director of DC

And therefore Councillor Perkins should resign both as Deputy Leader of the Council and as a Councillor forthwith.

We have not heard the end of this by a long chalk and the longer it goes on the worse it gets for the protagonists.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Drone

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 09:00:09 AM »
Whenever they mention the Digital City negotiations, I always picture Garry Perkins talking to himslef in a broom cupboard. So, Cllr Perkins, how can we get DC back on track? Well, Director Perkins, we could throw some more money at it...

Isn't it time to wrap up DC now? It's not a functioning company, on any level, and this charade is starting to get embarrassing.

Ringer

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »
Embarrassing for who, obviously not for the Brazen, Rod Bluh, Gary Perkins and that bloke who climbs every mountain, and swims in every dream.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
Every time this comes up I have a mental image of a grinning geezer, sharp suited, green visor thingy  and those silver sleeve keeper upper wossnames whispering sweet sibilant nothings over a roulette table, a pall of smoke hanging over the table and the whiff of Hai Karate thick in the air.

The rapt audience on the other side of the table a pink faced geezer who keeps nervously checking his wallet and whispering 'Vibrate you bastard' and another chap with hair black as midnight who appears to be sweating Quink and is conducting a conversation with himself.

These two keep betting on 27 and three quarters purple oblivious to the fact it does not appear on the wheel, the slick suited grinning geezer assures them their strategy is visionary as he extends his rake thing with a french name and scoops away the chips.

The house always wins.

Mind you, I had me monthly kebab yesterday and I am prone to strange dreams afterwards.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline ph1lc

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 02:22:25 PM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9153526.Bad_conduct_claims_against_top_councillor_dropped/

Perkins attitude is disgusting. He's quite simply not fit to be a councillor.
Roll on next May, he'll find the election is going to get personal against him.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 04:29:52 PM »
This was mentioned to me on the doorstep today, just as it was in Eastcott during this week. When you ask people about council spending they know shine from shinola. Even if some councillors find it difficult.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 12:09:50 PM »
I heard that Ricki has sold his house or did the bank sell it for him? Rumours are rife regarding his current financial status. I state again RUMOURS.
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 09:54:44 PM »
I heard that Ricki has sold his house or did the bank sell it for him? Rumours are rife regarding his current financial status. I state again RUMOURS.

If this were true does that add to his unsuitability to run anything for us in Swindon not least of all the SSEP?

Meanwhile where is the £400,000 plus interest, surely he or Perkins must know?

Does anyone know if the Directors of Digital City have applied for its name to be struck off from the Register of Companies?

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 10:04:18 PM »
Does anyone know if the Directors of Digital City have applied for its name to be struck off from the Register of Companies?

Hi Richard - not quite sure what this would achieve.  The company is not trading but somehow Coun Perkins thinks there is value in the shares held by SBC and the shares held by Avidity: sufficient to entice a new investor to pay up £400k to 'pay to play'  I think that is an exercise in wishful thinking.

In all probabilty SBC is attempting to do a deal which allows it to save face - a uniquely oriental concept and one which isn't much revered in the lexicon of English business practise. We prefer the more simplistic 'apologise' - 'resign' and then 'depart' - so much easier to understand.

It's got an oriental twang to it as it is akin to 'falling on ones sword' which is metaphorically what Coun Perkins should do, I wonder if he has the honour to consider such an action?  Actually, I don't think he has.

Drone

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 06:25:12 AM »
A more 'oriental' business approach would be for the company to save face, but the senior member of staff responsible to make a profound public apology. Or committ hari-kari.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »
I get a feeling that most of you/us are now not expecting to see our money back or any return on it. 

I fancy that the drift now now is to see if we can get an apology and admission of guilt or stupidity?   
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline bobwright

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 08:28:43 AM »
Muggins - It was made clear to me that the Administration is seeking to gain £400,000 from the investors instead of recovering the debt from the borrower.

Drone

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 08:50:44 AM »
It's quite clear Digital city doesn't have £400,000 in their accounts. The 'kit' stuck to various lampposts is not worth £400,000. The company is not worth £400,000 as a going concern. I think the council is hoping the idea is worth £400,000 - that a company will come along, invest, and finish the project.

That seems unrealsitic to the point of insanity. Therefore, an apology is the best we can hope for.