Author Topic: Residents parking suggestions  (Read 22055 times)

Offline ford

Re: Residents parking suggestions
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 06:28:17 AM »

You make a valid point but I suspect the bulk of the problem is where do you leave your car when you are at home.  Of course, if public transport were good enough you could do without a car.

The thing is that if public transport were slick and inexpensive many people in the congested parking zones wouldn't even need a car.Bus journeys to the train station should be made effectively free. If not entirely free then certainly very frequent. Many people operating cars do so because ther is no sensible option or inducemnet to do otherwise.
Swindon is the only town I've lived in where is unusual to be stuck behind a bus in traffic - not due to the plethora of bus lanes but because there doesn't appear to be a plethora buses.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »
Karsten - why don't you take advantage of the new 'ask the councillors' section and challenge them directly here and on a public forum to discuss what happens to the revenue derrived from fines?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Tel Hudson

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2007, 12:31:54 AM »
Karsten - why don't you take advantage of the new 'ask the councillors' section and challenge them directly here and on a public forum to discuss what happens to the revenue derived from fines?
This revenue is ring fenced by law.  Actually for a local Council to operate its own parking police is quite tricky.

1. The cost of enforcement must come out of fines.  That is to say, the entire operation must make a profit.
2. Any profits must be put back into parking schemes.

So the quick answer is the revenue goes to pay the parking wardens, painting the yellow lines and putting up signs.  Any further money must go to improving car parks.

Note that if no-one broke the rules then the revenue stream would dry up.  By law Swindon would then have to abandon the scheme as it would no longer be in the black.

(This information was given at a briefing by SBC when they first introduced the scheme.)
I am right 96% of the time. I don't give an aerial intercourse about the other 5%..

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 12:34:01 PM »
I found these very interesting clips on youtube:

There are 13 of them - re: Swindons Transport Vision - Peter Greenhalgh

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SXZbjIfDeU (Embedding disabled, limit reached)
 :popcorn:
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »
Any amongst them on safe ways to school?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »
Any amongst them on safe ways to school?

No, but there is talk of trams - I like trams/mono rails

reminds me of blackpool.

Seriously though, trams are good - but do they make 'accessible trams' this day and age.
Could you get a wheelchair user on one or a buggy/tandem buggy ????

Anyone know ?

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 11:12:04 PM »
Modern tramways are accessible, in as much as tram stops have raised platforms giving level access. But for the cost of building and equiping a tram route you could make massive improvements in bus services... if only the law permitted it. The reason places like Sheffield and Manchester have trams is nothing to do with whether trams are the best form of public transport for those places and everything with legislation that stopped councils subsidising bus services whilst allowing them to still subsidise trams.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 11:26:08 PM »
Thank you Komadori  :)

If the Law would permit, do you think that Swindon would benfit from having trams ?

I can vaguely remember that we used to have trams in Swindon - a long long time ago.
I can remember as a very young child , they had one in old town - please correct me if I am wrong.

I also remember my nan talking of the tram disaster, when a tram traveling from Victoria road crashed in Regent Circus.
That must have been one hell of a disaster back in those days.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2009, 09:50:55 AM »
For as long as I can remember there has been suggestions of Mono-rails and trams for Swindon, there was more chance of getting it 20 years ago then now - terrific capital costs and planning implications, which I can't see Swindon getting when they had the old pump priming money for the park and rides and then shut one down.

Ref tram disaster, Chav, that was just before your in great Nan's time - she used to tell us that story, however when we saw pictures of it (and there are a few about) it was dated before she was born, so the stories about it throughout her childhood must have been so vivid that it was stuck in her mind that she had actually seen it. Let's face it it must have been quite an event, at that time not much else went on for entertainment - well not by today's standards.

When they knocked down the old Bruce Street Bridge to put up the new one and re did the road lay out along Rodbourne road (which even in my childhood was a terminus for buses) they exposed the tram lines. There is also a picture of that area somewhere.

Great Uncle Dick was also one of the first bus drivers in Swindon - see CD.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »
Off thread I know, but pics of 1906 tram crash here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3717621638/

5 people died and 30 injured. Such were the compensation claims against the council that every rate payer in Swindon had to pay an extra shilling on their rates for 2 years and an extra 6d in year 3.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline Muggins

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2009, 04:28:20 PM »
And heres one of the rams on Rodbourne Road, but not the one i remember having in the family album which was more recent.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3694243605/

There is also one of a tram crossing the canal and my goodness, the state of the canal in fron  of it is a warning!

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »
And heres one of the rams on Rodbourne Road, but not the one i remember having in the family album which was more recent.

I was expecting to see a sheep in the pic. ::)
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline komadori

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2009, 11:40:19 PM »
If the Law would permit, do you think that Swindon would benfit from having trams ?

No. The same amount of money put into bus services and bus lanes would be far more beneficial.

When "Sheffield Supertram" was being constructed I was working in that city. It cost vast amounts of money and effectively shut several main roads for a couple of years each, with the result that, in what were already difficult economic times, several small shops were tipped over the edge into bankruptcy when they would otherwise have almost certainly survived. Another early effect of the modern tramway in Sheffield was to bring the Meadowhall Shopping Centre within reach of city centre office workers. City councillors' dreams that the tram would bring Meadowhall Centre shoppers to the city centre were reversed by a reality of city centre workers making lunch time trips to Meadowhall instead of shopping and eating in the city centre.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2009, 11:58:24 AM »
Kelc, blessed typo's again!   You may not have seen sheep in Rodbourne
Road but it was nothing to see cattle.

Komadori -typical that people didn't do what was expected of them.  Give the money for loads of Segways, then we could all benefit. 

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2009, 01:57:18 PM »
It cost vast amounts of money and effectively shut several main roads for a couple of years each, with the result that, in what were already difficult economic times, several small shops were tipped over the edge into bankruptcy when they would otherwise have almost certainly survived.

So, we're definitely getting trams then?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2009, 03:54:22 PM »

No. The same amount of money put into bus services and bus lanes would be far more beneficial.

When "Sheffield Supertram" was being constructed I was working in that city. It cost vast amounts of money and effectively shut several main roads for a couple of years each, with the result that, in what were already difficult economic times, several small shops were tipped over the edge into bankruptcy when they would otherwise have almost certainly survived. Another early effect of the modern tramway in Sheffield was to bring the Meadowhall Shopping Centre within reach of city centre office workers. City councillors' dreams that the tram would bring Meadowhall Centre shoppers to the city centre were reversed by a reality of city centre workers making lunch time trips to Meadowhall instead of shopping and eating in the city centre.

Thanks Komadori  O0
Very informative  ;)

According to PG not everyone likes buses, especially if your Scottish , but if you had trams, people would use them !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Z9wShpxLQ (Embedding disabled, limit reached)

How would you know ? - without building a tram network first !
Also people probably would use a tram in Swindon because it would be a novelty at first !
Also ........... people in Swindon are not predominantly Scottish , otherwise we would be Scotland not Swindon lol.  ;D

I think at the end of the day, every individual has a preferred method of travel and will use whatever their preferred method is, be it car/bus/bike/walk/taxi, however say for instance if the preferred method was out of use, then they would find an alternative - its what we do.

If I happen to be traveling to London on a course/seminar for instance, which I would say I do up to 3 times a year - my preferred method is to get a Taxi to the venue and back especially if there are three/four of us- because it is cheaper and it takes you to the door (so not getting lost). However, if its two of us, we catch the train/tube etc. I don't particularly like train as it is cramped and horrible, and the tube is worse (sardines in a tin comes to mind), but I use it as an alternative. (Mind you- now if it was a case of traveling via steam train every day- I would be in my element as I have a passion for them - as PG does for Trams )  :angel:

It is an interesting subject though, I will say that.  :)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2009, 06:53:03 PM »
Is this a parking thread or is it now a tram thread? Has the parking issue gone away? Parking charges have been reduced in some car parks has it made a difference? I think the 2 quid charge has made a difference to the amount of shoppers it appears there is a pressure from some for an extension to the time period the scheme will operate for.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4793833.Parking_cost_cuts_lure_in_shoppers/
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline komadori

« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2009, 11:16:40 PM »
I've just come across an internal audit report from earlier this year on the council's Parking Section.

4.3 There is a lack of clear ownership, accountability and monitoring to demonstrate effective management and performance of the car park service. Existing working arrangements do not provide effective anti-fraud and anti-corruption controls for the maintenance of car parking machines, reliability of information and accounting of all income. Consequently, we are unable to give assurance that all parking income due has reached the Council’s bank account intact. This equally applies for the income collected on behalf of the Great Western Hospital.

Offline ian haddrell

• Hello !
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »
Hi i live in the Dean Street area and pay in my view way over the odds to park close to my house . Outside my front door there are spaces for 5 cars to park for one hour fair enough you may say but if i park there i still get a ticket if there more than an hour why ? Why cant these spaces be for anyone for an hour or permit holders ? Sometimes it is hard to find a space surely residents should have priority to park outside their home ?

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2009, 10:57:14 AM »
Hi i live in the Dean Street area and pay in my view way over the odds to park close to my house . Outside my front door there are spaces for 5 cars to park for one hour fair enough you may say but if i park there i still get a ticket if there more than an hour why ? Why cant these spaces be for anyone for an hour or permit holders ? Sometimes it is hard to find a space surely residents should have priority to park outside their home ?

It should be a priority mate, but unfortunately you have got more chance of accessing free wifi for up to two hours a day that parking outside your own front door !  :(