Author Topic: Tadpole Farm & Cllr Tomlinson (Formerly Known As 'Neeer')  (Read 34851 times)

Offline Keith

• Cllr. for Shaw and Nine Elms
    • West Swindon In Touch
Re: Tadpole Farm & Cllr Tomlinson (Formerly Known As 'Neeer')
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 12:06:39 AM »
Richard, have I ever not responded to any e-mails you have sent to me in the past?

Ah, that's an ethical minefield I think you, as an IT professional, should know to avoid.  Your statement suggests you believe Richard Shaw is the same person you have communicated with via other means.  Admin asks you to consider how the other 'Richard', or indeed an official body, might view referring to their communications being used in a fishing trip on an open forum?

A right to anonymity still exists in British law and Data Protection legislation still protects it, as does the Talkswindon forum.  If you do not agree with this please start a thread to discuss it.

An elected councillor publicly engaging in trying to 'out' another forum member who may, or may not be using a pseudonym to post his or her opinions on a public forum, will inevitably lead to speculation as to how many elected members may also be posting using pseudonyms.

Forum Admins are aware that some members, including councillors, are repeatedly using the personal message and forum email system to contact other members who they wish to 'identify' and attempting to determine who they are by the responses given. This is not acceptable.

It is not acceptable for elected members to treat members of Talkswindon as if they are 'under the political whip'. They are not.

Use of the forum PM and email system will be denied to any councillor engaging in these activities and assistance given to any forum member if they chose to complain officially about councillors conduct towards them on this forum.

I would also advise people to contact Councillors and PPCs directly rather than posting questions from anonymous logins on this site.

Would you please you clarify this statement.

All I am saying is that only a few Councillors read this site so the chance of the one you are wanting a response from actually responding is slim. Much better to look up their contact details on the Borough website and send them an e-mail directly. If they don't reply then you have every right to complain.

Sorry if you feel intimidated Richard, that wasn't my intention. Judging by the nature of the comments you have posted I suspect you are made of sterner stuff anyway.

I don't believe I have used the forum PM and e-mail system to attempt to identify people either. In fact I haven't used either at all for a few months. I assume you are referring to someone else?

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 01:45:16 AM »
Keith, the gentleman I am questioning is a regular contributor and reader of talkswindon so your arguement is contradictory in itself by implying that the person I am questioning is not the person I wish to question, when infact it is  , if however the person I wish to question is not on talkswindon I would try other means of contacting them......and as an after thoughtif you think im asking the wrong person perhaps YOU could shine some light on Tadpole Farm. If you have difficulty with remembering the questions, here they are again

1. If the developer had initially said they wanted to go upto the local development limit of 1,000 homes, why is it that they now want to build 3,000????
2.If 3,000 homes are to be built, how will the local infrastructure be supported by the extra pressure???
3.How will the traffic flow be regulated?? As there is a school opposite the proposed site.
4.Will the speed limit of tadpole lane be reduced from 50 to 30/20?? As it will indeed be a residential zone.(Question for Mr Greenhalgh).
5.Why was the North Swindon MP not present at the RSS meeting to discuss/reject the proposed rise in homes being built?? (Question for Mr Tomlinson)

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline cyfish

• Hello !
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 02:31:32 AM »
I have just noticed that Kieth is the councillor for my area in shaw, this has surprised me as reading the previous posts i can understand that there are alot of people in the area involved. How ever i would have thought that in the past 19 yrs that i have lived here there would have been enough time to visit a majority if not all of the area affected, however i do not recall at any point any member of any party knocking on my door. :-( With this in mind i would like to ask if i am wrong to think that perhaps only the areas considered to be important actually get a local MP visiting and then only if there is time the other areas then get the privelidge?!!

Cyfish :-)

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 02:34:30 AM »
I have just noticed that Kieth is the councillor for my area in shaw, this has surprised me as reading the previous posts i can understand that there are alot of people in the area involved. How ever i would have thought that in the past 19 yrs that i have lived here there would have been enough time to visit a majority if not all of the area affected, however i do not recall at any point any member of any party knocking on my door. :-( With this in mind i would like to ask if i am wrong to think that perhaps only the areas considered to be important actually get a local MP visiting and then only if there is time the other areas then get the privelidge?!!

they only go to the homes that are closest to the polling station......
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline cyfish

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 02:37:21 AM »
Mmmm Interesting as my closest polling station is only a mere 4 and half minutes walk away....

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 10:42:40 AM »
Interesting indeed as it seems there are now 2 councillors who have a very relaxed, I refer back to a previous post,  working hard or hardly working? .

So Mr Tomlinson and Keith are you going to grace us with a comment on Tadpole Farm?? Or sit back relaxed, whilst enjoying high tea and surfing the internet? ?   

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 02:09:47 PM »
Interesting indeed as it seems there are now 2 councillors who have a very relaxed, I refer back to a previous post,  working hard or hardly working? .

So Mr Tomlinson and Keith are you going to grace us with a comment on Tadpole Farm?? Or sit back relaxed, whilst enjoying high tea and surfing the internet? ?   

Sorry for the delay (please remember though I am not on Talk Swindon 24-7)...

Answers...

1 - Typical developers, they try to squeeze as many houses as possible onto a site to maximise profits.  Whilst we accept they own this land (Tadpole Farm) and that it has outline planning permission the same as the rest of the Northern Sector and therefore development will happen, they can't have it all their own way.  It is actually 2500 houses they are pushing for, whilst we believe 1500/2000 is the absolute maximum.
2 - That is a key question and why we oppose more than 1500/2000 houses as we feel that would exceed the local infrsatructure, in particular the exisiting residential roads.  In addition it is important that we have new schools etc in place before and not after the demand comes online.
3 - This is something the developers are investigating at the moment, and working with the excellent redhouse Residents Association and the Parish Council we are making sure any potential plans have the minimum impact on existing residential areas / roads.
4 - That is something that will be looked at further down the line, ie when they have proposals for the development / traffic movements, however I would expect this to be the case.
5 - I can't answer for Michael Wills MP.  As a Councillor (and local resident) I am leading on discussions with the developers to make sure they have a CRYSTAL clear idea of what won't be acceptable.

As it stands the developers are working on draft plans which I believe they will have later in the year (probably Autumn) for which we will then distribute to all local residents and organise various public meetings / consultation to make sure we get the best possible development possible.  I certainly dont expect a Christmas Card from the developers who won't have liked what I have said to them, but I do expect a good development as we will be living here for many generations.  I

This is a really brief summary of the issue, I have a much more detailed breakdown which I am pulling together.

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »

Who is up for election this year in Shaw and Nine Elms?

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 03:13:41 PM »

Sorry for the delay (please remember though I am not on Talk Swindon 24-7)...

Answers...

1 - Typical developers, they try to squeeze as many houses as possible onto a site to maximise profits.  Whilst we accept they own this land (Tadpole Farm) and that it has outline planning permission the same as the rest of the Northern Sector and therefore development will happen, they can't have it all their own way.  It is actually 2500 houses they are pushing for, whilst we believe 1500/2000 is the absolute maximum.
2 - That is a key question and why we oppose more than 1500/2000 houses as we feel that would exceed the local infrsatructure, in particular the exisiting residential roads.  In addition it is important that we have new schools etc in place before and not after the demand comes online.
3 - This is something the developers are investigating at the moment, and working with the excellent redhouse Residents Association and the Parish Council we are making sure any potential plans have the minimum impact on existing residential areas / roads.
4 - That is something that will be looked at further down the line, ie when they have proposals for the development / traffic movements, however I would expect this to be the case.
5 - I can't answer for Michael Wills MP.  As a Councillor (and local resident) I am leading on discussions with the developers to make sure they have a CRYSTAL clear idea of what won't be acceptable.

As it stands the developers are working on draft plans which I believe they will have later in the year (probably Autumn) for which we will then distribute to all local residents and organise various public meetings / consultation to make sure we get the best possible development possible.  I certainly dont expect a Christmas Card from the developers who won't have liked what I have said to them, but I do expect a good development as we will be living here for many generations.  I

This is a really brief summary of the issue, I have a much more detailed breakdown which I am pulling together.

Very clever politicians answer Justin which doesn't tell us anything apart from the fact you have told them you are unhappy!

That will definately influence them?

And what did you say about the infrastructure Peter Greenhalgh has promised?  I didn't think he has said anything?  So what are you doing about it please as I have more than a casual interest as you know.

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »
Richard...

At this stage the developers are working up proposals.  I requested a meeting so I could relay the issues that I (on behalf of the local residents) would be taking a particular interest in.  (Roads, open spaces, green buffer, infrastructure, density, access etc).

It is now up to the developers to see whether they will incorporate these ideas for their first set of proper plans.  When they are ready they will need extensive public consultation (which I will make sure happens).  As I explained to the developers if they took on board the feedback the public consultation will be positive and constructive, if they didn't then I would be leading an angry mob of local residents.

As I said I am expecting them to come back later in the year.

As ever with developers the planning laws are generally on their side (that is for another debate), however the would prefer to work with, rather than against residents where possible.  In the Northern Sector we have seen huge amounts of development and as this is the final part it is essential they learn from the mistakes and deliver a development addresses the concerns I raised.

Richard I don't mean to sound like a politician as I am conscious this is general but that is because at this stage there is no actual plans, we have just take an opportunity to shape them.

Offline Keith

• Cllr. for Shaw and Nine Elms
    • West Swindon In Touch
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 12:33:04 PM »

Cyfish,

I was only out on Saturday (admittedly in Freshbrook and Grange Park) but have canvassed the whole of Shaw and Nine Elms in the past 4 years. One of the problems we face is that people are rarely in or do not answer their doors and the calling cards we leave invariably get disposed of by a member of the household.
On one close this Saturday we found 2 people in out of 12 houses.

If you have any specific issues you want to discuss then please send me an e-mail, or if you want to preserve your anonymity let me know the road and I'll add it to my list for the next few weeks.

Keith

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 01:12:16 PM »
One of the problems we face is that people are rarely in or do not answer their doors and the calling cards we leave invariably get disposed of by a member of the household.
On one close this Saturday we found 2 people in out of 12 houses.

Keith, I imagine you're not alone in this, however it's hardly surprising that many people may be out on a Saturday, assuming they work during the week, this will be a time when they have limited ability to do their shopping or go out with their family etc.

What other times/days of the week do you usually canvass?  I know it's hard work, but if you want to reach all of the people, or at least as many as possible, then you need to be very flexibile on what time you try to call.  I would have thought early evenings on all days would be a good time  :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 01:23:47 PM »

As Keith is advising people to contact him/other councillors directly to have questions answered, (a pointless exercise if your councillor is Peter Greenhalgh I'm told), I'd like to advise readers to ask this question if they are canvassed by a Conservative councillor on their doorstep.

Q: In May 2010, who are you going to vote for as Leader of the Tory group and leader of the council?

This question is of particular interest to me because there is only one way I can have any influence at all over who is elected leader, and that is by voting, or not voting for a candidate who will/will not vote for a potential leader who I approve/disapprove of.

I don't want Rod Bluh to be leading the council. I think he's been bad for the town, bad for local democracy and bad for business, yet I cannot hold him directly accountable.  Sadly, this years Tory candidate in my ward, Cllr Mick Bray - a hard working and well respected ward councillor - won't get my vote if I think he intends to vote for Bluh in May.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »
Unfortunately the answer we might get from any electioning doorstepper is likely to be " no one else wants the job!"
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 03:22:37 PM »
Muggins
Councillor Nick Martin and his west and east Swindon co-horts will jump at it.
Bobby

Offline Ringer

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 03:57:01 PM »
Bobby that is very naughty as that will put all the councillors in a tail spin :censored:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Alligator

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 04:38:28 PM »
Unfortunately the answer we might get from any electioning doorstepper is likely to be " no one else wants the job!"

That's when you suggest that they opt for a less incentuous model of government which widens the gene pool from where candidates can be selected instead of it being only sitting councillors and then let the general population decide. 

It's far better that the people decide than we end up with a leader that didn't really want the job in the first place, but was eligible for simply being a councillor in the largest party at the time. 

Offline Alligator

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »

I'd like to advise readers to ask this question if they are canvassed by a Conservative councillor on their doorstep.

Q: In May 2010, who are you going to vote for as Leader of the Tory group and leader of the council?

This question is of particular interest to me because there is only one way I can have any influence at all over who is elected leader, and that is by voting, or not voting for a candidate who will/will not vote for a potential leader who I approve/disapprove of.

I don't want Rod Bluh to be leading the council. I think he's been bad for the town, bad for local democracy and bad for business, yet I cannot hold him directly accountable.  Sadly, this years Tory candidate in my ward, Cllr Mick Bray - a hard working and well respected ward councillor - won't get my vote if I think he intends to vote for Bluh in May.

I agree with you say about asking that question, however I would also ask what way they would vote in a council debate on the governance model altogether. 

The model we have today whereby the the leader is selected behind closed doors, on promises made in secret and without any open discussion on who may or may not stand, is up for review this year, so this is an opportunity to ask themselves if they trust the people of the townor whether they hanker after a 'we know best' approach.

Anyone opting for the staus quo wouldn't get my vote as I will only accept the current model as being legitimate once the people of Swindon have had the chance to choose it in a referendum.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »

Okay, I give in... What does 'Neeeer' mean?

Is it a 'Paxmanesque' sneer ? :)

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »
Keith, I imagine you're not alone in this, however it's hardly surprising that many people may be out on a Saturday, assuming they work during the week, this will be a time when they have limited ability to do their shopping or go out with their family etc.

What other times/days of the week do you usually canvass?  I know it's hard work, but if you want to reach all of the people, or at least as many as possible, then you need to be very flexibile on what time you try to call.  I would have thought early evenings on all days would be a good time  :)

The timing of knocking on doors is always about the least worst option.

We managed to get round 80% of the doors in Eastcott in about 12 weeks before Christmas, which refreshed me on the best times.

Early evenings did come out as the best time overall, so I stuck with that.  However others have competing commitments (less flexible work, young families) that means that may not be possible for some.

In Old Town early evening was the best time.  But then in town centre weekends worked better.  When I've knocked doors in Penhill weekends also seemed to be marginally better.

Having said that, any time you knock between 5-8pm someone will always be at work, or having dinner, or watching their favourite TV programme.  Call after this time and most people won't come to the door for understandable reasons.  The best option would seem to be in summer calling mid-evening, but then many people are on holiday.  So it's always about the least worst timing.