Author Topic: Recycling - Council Meeting  (Read 21538 times)

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
Recycling - Council Meeting
« on: February 02, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »
I have organised for my next Environment, Economic and Sustainability meeting to cover 'recycling'.

The meeting is 6pm, 11th February at the Civic Office, Euclid Street.  The public is very welcome to come along.

The main areas I will be looking into include:

* Recycling is currently at 46% what are the plans to not only maintain this, but to push beyond 50%.
* Are there any plans for kerbside food waste collection?
* Are there any plans for a 2nd recycling centre for the East / South of the town?
* What impact has there been on the plastic recycling scheme since switching from the SBC provided plastic collection bags, to any clear / white bags?
* What do the waste wardens do to pro-actively encourage recycling?
* Have we looked into the success of the Windsor voucher reward scheme for residents who recycle?

I would welcome either anyone coming along to attend and ask questions / make suggestions, or to embrace the Talk Swindon forum please pass on any questions / suggestions on here and I will happily take them to the meeting.

Thanks  :coffee:

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
Re: Recycling - Council Meeting
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:05:03 PM »
Justin,

Could you please as a local ward Councillor please explain why I have to negotiate the SCS recycling slalom course where I live?  After collection I have to drive my car carefully around and through the recycling bins and their lids and items dropped on the road in the process of collection.

A fellow ward Councillor of yours has let slip that there will be a saving made to the recycling budget.  Can you confirm this as Chair of that Committee?

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:10:35 PM »
Sorry Justin just thought of my first question.

Why is there only one recycling centre for a town of 190,000 people and how is it environmentally friendly for cars to queue all over the Waterside Estate.  I have never seen such queues and such long waits since the days of the GDR when it would take up to four hours to cross the border.

This is a serious question and not a joke.

What is you proposal to reduce the waiting and handling time to a maximum of twenty minutes?

Offline Justin Tomlinson

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 02:14:39 PM »
Justin,

Could you please as a local ward Councillor please explain why I have to negotiate the SCS recycling slalom course where I live?  After collection I have to drive my car carefully around and through the recycling bins and their lids and items dropped on the road in the process of collection.

A fellow ward Councillor of yours has let slip that there will be a saving made to the recycling budget.  Can you confirm this as Chair of that Committee?

I am not aware of any saving, but will seek 100% clarification at the meeting.  I think there may be some confusion here as I believe some of the rounds are being extended, but as a resident you wouldn't notice any difference as you will still get the same collections on the same days?  I will double check.

If you can provide me with the road where this slalom is taking place I will report this immediately.  It isn't acceptable.  (You can PM me the street if you would rather not post publically)  Not only is it dangerous, but if boxes / lids get damaged some people may then give up recycling which impacts on our recycling rates.

Offline Justin Tomlinson

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »
Sorry Justin just thought of my first question.

Why is there only one recycling centre for a town of 190,000 people and how is it environmentally friendly for cars to queue all over the Waterside Estate.  I have never seen such queues and such long waits since the days of the GDR when it would take up to four hours to cross the border.

This is a serious question and not a joke.

What is you proposal to reduce the waiting and handling time to a maximum of twenty minutes?

100% agree, I queued for 50 minutes the other week on a Sunday.  This is one of the questions I will be raising already (see my original post).  I think there always was plans for 2 but the Council didn't get the money it was expected so plans were shelved.  I will try to get the history of that at the meeting.

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 03:25:09 PM »
Thank you Justin signing off now!!

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 04:11:02 PM »
I have organised for my next Environment, Economic and Sustainability meeting to cover 'recycling'.

The meeting is 6pm, 11th February at the Civic Office, Euclid Street.  The public is very welcome to come along.

The main areas I will be looking into include:

* Recycling is currently at 46% what are the plans to not only maintain this, but to push beyond 50%.
* Are there any plans for kerbside food waste collection?
* Are there any plans for a 2nd recycling centre for the East / South of the town?
* What impact has there been on the plastic recycling scheme since switching from the SBC provided plastic collection bags, to any clear / white bags?
* What do the waste wardens do to pro-actively encourage recycling?
* Have we looked into the success of the Windsor voucher reward scheme for residents who recycle?

I would welcome either anyone coming along to attend and ask questions / make suggestions, or to embrace the Talk Swindon forum please pass on any questions / suggestions on here and I will happily take them to the meeting.

Thanks  :coffee:

or

How much will all this cost in the light of further restricted budgets and how likely is it we'll see cut backs in what's recycled rather than expansion of the services

Is this not just one tory of councillor (and prospective MP) trying to be proactive in recycling (environmental issues), while another is clearly planning to cut budgets (Rod and his pals). Perhaps Justin can confirm the amounts being provided for this service in this financial year and what amount is being provided in the budget from April 2010 for this service. Figures i have heard about range from a -15% to a -25% cut back over 4 years.

Its takes money to recycle, so less money = less recycling. Recycling should be about sustainability both environmental and financial

I can't see how any expansion in service is viable.

I also popped down the tip recently. The recycling  'score on the door' by the access ramp stated recycling was at 61%, is this not the figure your are after.

I am sure i have heard something along the lines of..... failure to hit certain recycling targets will incur goverment fines in the £millions.

what are those targets and are the Council reaching them or facing further penalties
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Justin Tomlinson

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »
Tea Boy, thank you for those questions.

As I have said I will get clarification on the money that is being spent, and will be spent on recycling.  (I am not aware of any cuts, and I did look at the proposed budget papers last night).

The 61% refers to the level of waste recycled that is brought directly to Waterside.  The kerbside recycling is currently at 46% of all household waste.

Yes, landfill taxes are increasingly massively year on year, hence why all Councils have tried to boost recycling (partly for the environmental, and partly as the least expensive option).  Again I will get clarification of levels / targets etc.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »
Its takes money to recycle, so less money = less recycling. Recycling should be about sustainability both environmental and financial

Except Tea-Boy, it never has, nor ever will be! Recycling has become the one issue of environmentalism which the policiticians have affixed themselves to because the public are so confused, they win every which direction. They can reduce service (ie. the rationale behind wheelie bin collections being fortnightly rather than weekly) but increase costs by having to more than double the number of types of collection! If anyone catches them out and point out that third parties are on the make from our efforts sorting all of the crap so that they can sell it on, politicians can palm-off the blame by pointing out that all of this has been forced on them by Brussels - because its the Eurocrasy who'll be fining us for not complying with their decreed targets - making it more expensive NOT to make you comply. Politicians can  take up the campaigning cudgels driving for MORE recycling (more inconvenience, smelly rubbish, vermin, flies, litter etc) because its the weakest laziest 'action' which yer average middleclass dolt can adopt to assuage their guilt over matters environmental. Its almost a political obligation to make these sorts of gestures because its what the average person has come to accept as the new orthodoxy. So, no pop at Justin,  the majority of his electorate want to both have their cake and eat it and he wants to be elected.

That people think is that they're 'doing good' pratting about with sinks full of washed cans and bottles when the rest of the kitchen is full of brand new white goods, SKY's playing on their HD telly and a brand new motor subsidised by scrapage money is sat on the drive is laughable to the point of hysterical.

What everyone continues to forget is that until we start reducing the creation of waste at the source of production rather than consumption, we just go on fooling around with the symptoms rather than the causes of environmental damage. Its the ultimate smokescreen to be honest - akin to the pontiff's self-flagellation. Both come from a sense of guilt but achieve little - or indeed, are counter-productive.

No one's EVER going to do anything meaningful, because to do so would knacker our lovely ever expanding global economy. It seems the majority of the population have tuned into little Neros.

God I'm sounding like an arnarcho-hippy. But I do wish there was a bit more realism and honesty from EVERYONE. Can you imagine anything more unhygenic or ghastly or ineffieceint than ANOTHER roadside colection for foodwaste for god's sake?!

Justin - what about some policies aimed at fining the producers of excess packaging, of encouraging the re-introduction of returnable bottles, of bringing back paper bags etc - holistic policies which get us away from this recycling mania and back to the ideas of reduce and reuse?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 09:28:01 PM »
You have to wonder what the carbon footprint is of all them bin wagons, I'd love to know the running costs and utilisation figures.

I bet they are cack.

Ditto and a nod to Tea Boy vis a vis the 61% figure down the tip, dunno where the need for two tier recycling reporting came from. Belgium probably, p'raps the marmosets have gone off message. I went down there when the  pursuit of recycling excellence ground to a halt for four weeks cos there was a bit of snow, I in the meantime had shot up to Surrey and back and spent a couple of weeks nobbing about in Bromsgrove in my two wheel drive surrender monket mobile. The plastic bottle recycling wossname was yet again full so I had to abandon me box, best manufacture another one.

I think there always was plans for 2 but the Council didn't get the money it was expected

Shame, should have had a word with the Rikkster, he seems very adept at fund extraction.

As to the slalom, we are required to place our ickle boxes neatly and precisely at the border of our properties, it is clealry the case that they are never replaced in such a manner.

Recycling is driven by EU targets, if that was accepted and publicised perhaps it would be managed better.

Go and give Tesco a kicking for producing waste if this really is a sincere crusade to save the planet.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 10:24:04 PM »
If you can provide me with the road where this slalom is taking place I will report this immediately.  It isn't acceptable.  (You can PM me the street if you would rather not post publically)  Not only is it dangerous, but if boxes / lids get damaged some people may then give up recycling which impacts on our recycling rates.

Hear hear!

Unlike quite a lot of others here on TS, I'm a big supporter of fortnightly landfill collections and weekly recycling collections. But PLEASE can the people who do the collecting put the boxes back at least somewhere near where they were originally left, and leave the lids with the boxes? I consider myself lucky these days to retrieve both a box and a lid when I return home from work of a Tuesday, I've long stopped caring whether they were the same box and lid I put out that morning. And I currently have no lids.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 11:04:27 PM »
They are very good round here at putting the orange boxes back where they came from. In contrast, wheelie bins are left scattered all over the place.

A question to add to Mr Tomlinson's list.
Could consideration be given to removing the restriction that everything to be recycled has to go inside the orange box? (The thing that particularly annoys me is the refusal to take large bits of cardboard left beside orange boxes on a dry day. I appreciate that if it's raining or likely to rain, everything needs to go in the box.)
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 11:36:29 PM »
My pet peeve is that on a couple of occasions the local recycling collector has had a go at my wife because we haven't put paper/cans/bottles in separate plastic bags to make their job easier (we do sort stuff reasonably well in the box, and to me using plastic bags in this way completely goes against the point of recycling.

They haven't ever (however) had a go at me  :knuppel2:

I also have to go on a weekly lid + box hunt - I'm usually the last home in our neighbourhood so get whatever's left.

am also thinking of getting a bike stand to tie my plastic container bags to in windy weather - but not sure the recycling staff would bother to take the time to untie them (as we're up a hill it can get quite windy and the flying bottle bags can be even more of a danger than the plastic lids in the morning..

Moley

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 09:27:46 AM »

The 61% refers to the level of waste recycled that is brought directly to Waterside.  The kerbside recycling is currently at 46% of all household waste.

Yes, landfill taxes are increasingly massively year on year, hence why all Councils have tried to boost recycling (partly for the environmental, and partly as the least expensive option). 

As it is local I use the Purton facility run by Hills.  They recycle more than SBC for example small batteries, and proudly display that 79% of what comes to the site is recyled.

Why does Waterside only achieve 61%?  Quite a difference considering the cost in terms of landfill etc.

Is this a case to employ Hills to manage our Waste Management?

Offline Justin Tomlinson

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 12:53:03 PM »
Justin - what about some policies aimed at fining the producers of excess packaging, of encouraging the re-introduction of returnable bottles, of bringing back paper bags etc - holistic policies which get us away from this recycling mania and back to the ideas of reduce and reuse?

I 100% agree with you.  I have written several articles before on this very subject.  We the Council Tax payer currently have a choice to either pay to dispose of waste, or pay for it to be recycled - effectively a 'lose, lose'. 

The answer is for the amount of waste to be cut at the source (packaging, re-using etc) - this is where the Government (of whatever colour) has to take a lead and force the producers / retailers to do it.  This has to go beyond more than just the plastic bags from supermarkets.

This is a real hobby horse of mine!

Offline Justin Tomlinson

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 01:02:15 PM »
BTW thank you everyone for all the questions / suggestions so far - this is excellent as it will make sure our meeting looks into the issues you are concerned about.

Remember the public are most welcome to the meeting itself if you would like to attend.

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 01:07:35 PM »
Why does Waterside only achieve 61% when Hills at Purton achieve 79%?  Quite a difference considering the cost in terms of landfill etc.

Is this a case to employ Hills to manage our Waste Management?

Have you noted these questions for your Committee Justin?

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »
and I am sure posters will be anxious for you to give the replies to this forum please Justin.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 01:26:07 PM »

I would add to this that if the answer to this is YES, then is there a site in mind for this? If so where? is it practical? (remember the problems that the queues at Waterside caused for its neighbours when it first moved from Barnfield)

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 02:17:01 PM »
I know that a little while ago there was talk of putting another depot in the east by the Dorcan Industrial site.
Bobby