Author Topic: Wellinton st flats . Without parking spaces  (Read 5627 times)

Offline miss alyson greetham

• Hello !
Wellinton st flats . Without parking spaces
« on: January 30, 2010, 12:38:58 PM »
Hello folks , my partner and I have just bought a flat in Wellinton house , And went to the council offices to arrange residents parking , ONLY TO BE TOLD WE CANT GET ONE  as our street does not have residents parking  this is mad as we are residants . can any one cast a light on this reply  . Regards Alyson and Tom  :bash:

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
Re: Wellinton st flats . Without parking spaces
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »
I suggest you write to or email Councillor Peter Greenhalgh and ask just that question. 

Please let us know the outcome

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 01:43:20 PM »
No permits for certain properties in central Swindon is part of the council's planning policy. (See the Development Guidance Notes.)

8. Permit Free Development
8.1 As stated above, the council recognises that in some cases such as those developments in the central zone and conversions of houses into multiple units, such proposals will have either insufficient off-street parking or none at all. In these circumstances the council will need to ensure that such developments do not generate unacceptable levels of on-street parking demand or exacerbate existing problems associated with restricted on-street provision. One area where this is of primary concern is existing and proposed Residential Parking Zones where parking is restricted and permits can out-number the total number of on-street spaces available by 2 to 1 in many areas. In order to keep the ratio of spaces and permits to its current level the council will expect new developments to become permit-free. This will mean that developments within Residential Parking Zones will be expected to enter into a legal agreement denying future residents access to parking permits, therefore ensuring a “Permit Free Development”.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

AndyH

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »
and  I bet that wasn't made clear to those buying these new flats....

If I'd bought one I would feel done... :knuppel2:

Piston Broke

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 04:24:30 PM »
Buyer Beware is the norm in English law :knuppel2:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 04:29:12 PM »
What do we pay solicitors for when buying houses? To look through the small print and tell us things like this. 

In this day and age (CLimate Change and all that) you can't expect every new build to have two car spaces for each dwelling even if it seems potty.  Having said that very sorry for people who have bought thinking they had something they didn't.  Live on Penhill love, plenty of parking in our street - well most of the time.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:27 PM »
Hello folks , my partner and I have just bought a flat in Wellinton house , And went to the council offices to arrange residents parking , ONLY TO BE TOLD WE CANT GET ONE  as our street does not have residents parking  this is mad as we are residants . can any one cast a light on this reply  . Regards Alyson and Tom  :bash:

I'm shocked that this wasn't pointed out until after you bought the flat.  It may well have had an impact.  As others said, what are the conveyancers and valuations surveys for.

This is a little out of my areas so I don't know whether Wellington Street is actually in the scheme in the first place?

Either way, the decision was made a while back that new developments should not be bolted onto the residents parking scheme.  The situation on many streets is untenable as is, partly because of the number of new developments included in them in the past.

SBC planning should be making sure that new developments provide enough parking on site, which clearly is not happening.

As a final thought you might be in (or could argue to be in) the Town Centre Parking Zone.  This is designed for flats in the area that don't fall into existing zones.  It costs an arm and a leg, but you can park in almost any car park in town with the permit.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 09:56:13 PM »
I suggest you write to or email Councillor Peter Greenhalgh and ask just that question. 

Or if he even justs bothers to reply that is.
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline komadori

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 11:06:32 PM »
As a final thought you might be in (or could argue to be in) the Town Centre Parking Zone.  This is designed for flats in the area that don't fall into existing zones.  It costs an arm and a leg, but you can park in almost any car park in town with the permit.

No chance. The northern boundary of the Town Centre Parking Zone is Fleming Way.

SBC planning should be making sure that new developments provide enough parking on site, which clearly is not happening.

Not according to their planning policies they shouldn't. The same document I quoted from earlier gives (on page 26) a maximum parking provision of zero spaces for 1 and 2 bedroom flats in central Swindon. The stated aim is to reduce road congestion as well as on-street parking.

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 12:10:37 AM »

No chance. The northern boundary of the Town Centre Parking Zone is Fleming Way.

Wasn't sure what the boundary in Central was.  I know most of the Eastcott part is included.

Not according to their planning policies they shouldn't. The same document I quoted from earlier gives (on page 26) a maximum parking provision of zero spaces for 1 and 2 bedroom flats in central Swindon. The stated aim is to reduce road congestion as well as on-street parking.

I thought it was recommended? Certainly flatblocks in town typically have had offstreet parking, and I think many will continue to do so.

The policy of no recommendation is the problem here.  In my view this should not be the case.

It would be great to think that no-one living in town had need of a car, and if there were more affordable housing elsewhere that might be the case.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 12:15:19 AM »

Without meaning to sound unsympathetic... that's Wellington House, a couple of minutes walk from both the bus station and the rail station? If so then you have quite possibly the best access to public transport of any dwelling in Swindon.

As others have pointed out though, this sort of thing should have come up in discussions with the solicitors who carried out your conveyancing work - if you insist on owning a car and living right in the middle of town then they should have pointed out that there would be nowhere to park it.

There's a spare space on my driveway in Grange Park if you want to rent it  :D

Welcome to TS by the way  :)
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline miss alyson greetham

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
thank you for your replys  looks like the home buyers pack was not right 

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 09:28:22 AM »

Or if he even justs bothers to reply that is.

Now now Tea Boy, but I agree.

Councillor Greenhalgh is unusually quiet at the moment, I wonder why?

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 09:30:13 AM »
thank you for your replys  looks like the home buyers pack was not right

I would take legal advice then and if appropriate an action for misrepresentation.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 10:25:23 AM »
Buyer beware, especially house buyer.

It's like the Abbey Meads development, when a certain developer was building on the edge of some fields and told the sales girls they were the last ones being built, so their outlook would be the fields - we knew they had two or three fields to go.  I just wonder how much of this goes on.  (Some) people do seem to be so overjoyed at finding a home, calm decision making goes out of the window.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline komadori

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »
Abbey Meads, Priory Vale, Wichelstowe, it's the same with all of them: I've seen estate agent adverts online for all claiming 'views over open fields' when the fields already have outline planning permission to be built on.

Yes, buyer beware, but the Home Information Pack has some legal obligations in terms of accuracy.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
It always amuses me that the developers use pretty pictures of fields and hedgerows, trees and little girls flying kites to advertise houses that are about to be built on fields, hedgerows and trees down, with no room for flying swinging a cat let alone flying a kite.  Ironically  the only large area left between Northern and Western developments, to fly a kite,  was left as public open space because of the overhead electricity wires and pylons - so no flying of kites there then.