Author Topic: Elected Leader: At Some Point this may have to be reviewed this year.  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

For some a discussion for others a review and a small minority it rears its ugly head again  ::)

Elected Mayor's will not go away I bet a few think that about Boris too? ;)

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
Re: Elected Leader: At Some Point this may have to be reviewed this year.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:05:53 PM »
We have to select either Elected Leader or Elected Mayor ready for next year, as I understand it.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »
Dave

Yes you are right, the discussion will have to be had, thanks for the confirmation. ;)
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:23:36 PM »
We have to select either Elected Leader or Elected Mayor ready for next year, as I understand it.

So is this factual and going ahead ?
I know the Elected Mayor thing was quite big on TS a while ago !
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:13:06 PM »

So is this factual and going ahead ?
I know the Elected Mayor thing was quite big on TS a while ago !

The other night I was passed a copy of the agenda of the "Clandestine Governance Review Working Group" of 11th Jan.

The Council is required by Part 3 of the Local Government and Public Involvement in HealthAct 2007 to select a new form of governance for its executive arrangements, to be implemented with effect from the 3rd day following the Council elections in May 2011

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »
The other night I was passed a copy of the agenda of the "Clandestine Governance Review Working Group" of 11th Jan.

The Council is required by Part 3 of the Local Government and Public Involvement in HealthAct 2007 to select a new form of governance for its executive arrangements, to be implemented with effect from the 3rd day following the Council elections in May 2011

A quick look at what Google finds for that last quote (and this document on the SBC website) suggests that the options are:
  • an indirectly elected Leader and Cabinet form of executive; or
  • a directly-elected Mayor and Cabinet form of executive.
For the first, the leader is elected by the councillors. Councils have to consult before selecting one of those two options. They have to make a decision before the end of this year.

If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c