Author Topic: Swindon Commercial Services - I'm Curious.....  (Read 53600 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Swindon Commercial Services - I'm Curious.....
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:10:31 PM »

....about who is on the board since it became a 'Standalone Company' on the 1st of January 2010.

I asked a cabinet member, who claimed they didn't know.....

So I asked the Borough Solicitor Stephen Taylor.....

06/01/2010

Dear Stephen

I understand that on the 1st January 2010 Swindon Commercial Services became a stand-alone commercial company owned by the Council.

I have been unable to find any information on the SBC website regarding the new management structure of SCS or a list of its board of directors.

If you are unable to supply this information I would be grateful if you could advise where I can find it.

Stephen was less than loquacious and didn't respond in quite the way I might have expected.

Dear Mr Reid
Such information would not normally be found on the Council's website as Swindon Commercial Services Ltd is a separate legal entity from the Council.  The company is registered at Companies House.  It's sole Director is William Fisher and I am currently it's company secretary. 

The Council is the sole shareholder and will shortly be appointing further Directors. If you wish, I will forward your email to Mr Fisher for him to respond to any queries you may have.

Yours sincerely,

Stephen P Taylor
Director of Law and Democratic Services
and Monitoring Officer
Swindon BC

My antenna is twitching...... the Council is the sole shareholder, so I think we-the-taxpayers have the moral right to know what's going on with a company we are under-writing don't we? 

So, in the public interest, can I invite someone 'in the know', councillor or officer of SBC to drop a pointer to leaks@talkswindon.org (but don't use an official swindon.gov email address, by now you're probably all being monitored  ;) ), or take the safer option of popping something through my letterbox tonight.

I also don't buy the 'Commercially Sensitive' excuse I've been fobbed off with a couple of times recently. 

In Councillor speak, 'Commercially sensitive' = 'Politically Embarrassing'

Speak to me.......

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:43:20 AM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Muggins

Re: Swindon Commercial Services - I'm Curious.....
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 06:22:03 PM »
Look it up on the compnies house web site, there might be a charge. Is it not on the SBC web site, if its not it should be.  Sorry just reread recent postings only two directors then.  Wonder if they will be inviting any of us to sit on it?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »
Hi Geoff

This is not unique, Thamesdown Transport is I think a similar "Vehicle" or entity (no pun intended). Thamesdown Transport has its own website and I think if memory serves me correctly Cllr Keith Williams is the Chair of the Board. I am sure that similar arrangements will exist at SCS. Cllr Perkins is if I am not mistaken on the SCS Board, so two Cllrs from Shaw and Nine Elms are probably best placed to answer any questions, on how these companies operate.

Not sure who the Chair of SCS is, so I cannot help you :emb:

Muggins posted whilst I was typing mine I think Muggins makes a valid contribution as usual :)

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »
Companies House has very limited details about them, possibly due to them only having recently registered.

Quote from: Companies House
Name & Registered Office:
SWINDON COMMERCIAL SERVICES LIMITED
WATERSIDE PARK DARBY CLOSE
CHENEY MANOR INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
SWINDON
WILTSHIRE
SN2 2PN
Company No. 06969563

Date of Incorporation: 22/07/2009

Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC(03)):
None Supplied
Accounting Reference Date: 31/07
Last Accounts Made Up To:  (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)
Next Accounts Due: 22/04/2011
Last Return Made Up To:
Next Return Due: 19/08/2010
Previous Names:
No previous name information has been recorded over the last 20 years.
UK Establishment Details
There are no UK Establishments associated with this company.
Oversea Company Info
There are no Oversea Details associated with this company.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 06:32:14 PM »
Ali - it'll cost a couple of quid, but you can get hold of the register of incorporation document from - that should give some more info... (I'll share the cost with you... all in the public interest of course!)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »
Hi Geoff

This is not unique, Thamesdown Transport is I think a similar "Vehicle" or entity (no pun intended). Thamesdown Transport has its own website and I think if memory serves me correctly Cllr Keith Williams is the Chair of the Board. I am sure that similar arrangements will exist at SCS. Cllr Perkins is if I am not mistaken on the SCS Board, so two Cllrs from Shaw and Nine Elms are probably best placed to answer any questions, on how these companies operate.

Not sure who the Chair of SCS is, so I cannot help you :emb:

Muggins posted whilst I was typing mine I think Muggins makes a valid contribution as usual :)

Thats if the two can say anything as it may be politically embarrasing  commerscially sensitive  :-X
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »
I think they've provided as much information as they're obliged to. Until such time as the company files some reports with Companies House (first one due in August), I suspect you may not get far.

As a company wholly owned by the council, I believe Swindon Commercial Services is still subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:37:20 PM »
When you have found out who, put their names into your search engines and see what other 'interests' they share, always a very interesting exercise.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

sbc voice

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 07:05:20 PM »
I'd put good money on Ricky Hunt being on the board, and probably a Director from Capita. After all SBC will want to keep their private sector friends happy!

Offline komadori

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 07:19:28 PM »
Found a partial answer, linked from the cabinet decision.

Swindon Commercial Services Board:
Fred Psyk - Executive
Andrew Sims - Executive
Bill Fisher - Executive
SBC Officer - non-executive
Cllr/Cabinet Member - non-executive
Peter Heath - non-executive
Rikki Hunt - non-executive
Neil Holt - non-executive
SBC Director HR - Advisor

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 07:52:48 PM »
SBC Voice

Yes looks like you were on the money..... any SP on who is the Chair (man) (Private Company spiel) of the Board? Or have you got the money on that one ...  :-\
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 08:38:14 PM »
Found a partial answer, linked from the cabinet decision.

Swindon Commercial Services Board:
Fred Psyk - Executive
Andrew Sims - Executive
Bill Fisher - Executive
SBC Officer - non-executive
Cllr/Cabinet Member - non-executive
Peter Heath - non-executive
Rikki Hunt - non-executive
Neil Holt - non-executive
SBC Director HR - Advisor

Sooo is this Riki Hunt blokie the same Riki 'WIFI' Hunt ?

Coz If it is  WIFI and SCS hmm it Riki SCIFI Hunt has a ring to it !
I suppose it is like being in the 'twighlight zone' with SBC at the mo

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 09:52:59 PM »
We are not dealing with another wi-fi here are we?

The Council are geting into some interestng stuff and I hope it is all ok?

Question - how many more business interests can Rikki Hunt handle on behalf of the Council Tax Payers of Swindon?  Is he the only businessman on offer to look after us?

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 10:44:26 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 11:03:20 PM »
Thanks you lot

not only am i now pissed off, poorer and Tuped (employment rights transfered to SCS)

but now I find out F*******g Ricki Hunt is one of the bosses, when is someone going to look into this bloke and his overt interest in the commercial operations of SBC?

Smacks of Rod Bluh and the amazing rotary club / mason / SBC give away to me

p.s Rotary Club /masons is only guess, wonder if i'm right.....?

The only one worth his salary is Bill Fisher
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Provocateur

• Atchya like a ninja cat!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2010, 12:34:19 AM »
What exactly does 'Swindon Commercial Services' do...?

Were they in any way invoved in the WiFi deal?  :tickedoff:

Offline komadori

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 02:08:54 AM »
Just about everything heavy or dirty that is a council service. Emptying the bins, maintaining parks and gardens, building repairs, gritting the roads. All services that now SCS will be providing under contract for the council.

Not that I'm aware of. Mr Hunt, on the other hand, seems to be involved with everything vaguely commercial that the council does.

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 08:59:10 PM »

Well once upon time the council prided itself on service and it employed its own gardners, bin men, road workers, plumbers, parks, chippies, fencers, street cleaners etc.

In a bid to drive down costs so councillors could write open cheques to thier local buisnessmen chums they placed all those workers whose focus was on direct service into a standalone company and demand they make a 'return'. Bang goes your service cos all that matters is that SCS make a profit, its all we hear nowadays. where does that profit go.... back to the council. but where does it go after that? cuts in council tax? funding for improved services? funding for additional services?

where it goes is funding for any project that our conservative councillors can then push as being thier idea, innovative ,forward seeking , fresh , new, all singing all dancing, look at the way we have spent money this great new shiny idea. meanwhile your old establish service, one everybody needs has gone to the wall cos of cost cutting, efficency savings and redundancy to make that return. Meanwhile your left with a  p*****d o** workforce that just doesn't care anymore.

This is about costing the council less money, bottom line, unfortunately less money = less service, the feeling amongst us at SCS is that this way Councillors can just wash thier hands of it and blame a 'stand alone company' when serice fails. The sad part is that should SCS lose the main contract when it goes out, SBC Councillors won't then have any influence over the company that wins it. It then becomes a straight struggle between council and contractor. Service versis Profit. any guesses which will win?

Funny thing is, how many 'councillors' actually understand what the cabinet is doing. most i've ever talked too, and thats not many, think they will still have some form of direct control.... as if we are still council employees.... which we aren't, that changed on 1st January.

I'm seriously trying not to give a f*** any more.
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2010, 09:17:15 PM »
Tea Boy

An interesting view from the frontline, but if as you say you are no longer council employees from 1st January. Who is paying your pension, and are you still members of the Wiltshire Pension Fund? Maybe some of that "profit"(surplus) will help pay off the proportion that was the SCS Pension fund deficit, as was done a few years ago by the Council, not sure just a thought.

I think I have to ask you that question as you say you are no longer a council department, but a private company then why should the company tell me anything I am only an SBC councillor, therefore I cannot have any influence over the workers or the board of a private company. :-\

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2010, 09:33:57 PM »
Hi Steve

Thats just the sort of question we are all asking, especially pensions, insurance (i've heard we are not covered by the council's insurer),accountants etc. I'm afraid rumour and conjecture are the rule in work. Its only cos i still get info from friends/family still employed by SBC that i know what i do.

I'm not goin to name names as i don't want to get them into trouble, all i can say is that we are not being fully informed by councillors or management,  its the old Mushroom syndrome.

kept in the dark and fed on s***