Author Topic: Brown to face leadership challenge  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
Brown to face leadership challenge
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:51:40 PM »
Have you seen the news.  A further attempt has been launched to force Brown to face a leadership battle through a secret ballot...

Offline Muggins

Re: Brown to face leadership challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 01:49:01 PM »
I think it was/is going to be more than 'an attempt'. PMQ'a was very lively today. M
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 02:43:23 PM »

The letter.  Hat tip to Guido Fawkes

Dear Colleague,

As we move towards a General Election it remains the case that the Parliamentary Labour Party is deeply divided over the question of the leadership. Many colleagues have expressed their frustration at the way in which this question is affecting our political performance. We have therefore come to the conclusion that the only way to resolve this issue would be to allow every member to express their view in a secret ballot.

This could be done quickly and with minimum disruption to the work of MPs and the Government. Whatever the outcome the whole of the party could then go forward, knowing that this matter had been sorted out once and for all.

Strong supporters of the Prime Minister should have no difficulty in backing this approach. There is a risk otherwise that the persistent background briefing and grumbling could continue up to and possibly through the election campaign, affecting our ability to concentrate all of our energies on getting our real message across.
    Equally those who want change, should they lose such a vote, would be expected by the majority of the PLP to devote all of their efforts to winning the election. The implications of such a vote would be clear – everyone would be bound to support the result.

This is a clear opportunity to finally lay this matter to rest. The continued speculation and uncertainty is allowing our opponents to portray us as dispirited and disunited. It is damaging our ability to set out our strong case to the electorate. It is giving our political opponents an easy target.

In what will inevitably be a difficult and demanding election campaign, we must have a determined and united parliamentary party. It is our job to lead the fight against our political opponents. We can only do that if we resolve these distractions. We hope that you will support this proposal.

Yours fraternally,

Geoff Hoon and Patricia Hewitt

Not sure this what the Cameroons really want to see at this point in the game.

I wonder if Mandelson is behind it.....

Offline Robert Buckland

• Parliamentary Spokesman (Cons)
  • Pingu and Bob in fisheries talks
    • robertbuckland.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:31:34 PM »
If there is no support for this within the Cabinet then its a dead letter.
"Forever poised between a cliche and an indiscretion" (Harold Macmillan on being Foreign Secretary)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »
Bollocks, beaten to it.

Seen some discussion that suggested the Tories are kind of throwing any fight in the run up to the General Election, they want to avoid a change of leader just in case Labour stage some kind of rally off the back of it.

My personal view is that I would like to see Brown humiliated at a General Election, sounds vindictive, but I reckon he's earned it, and the chances are he will take a fair few with him that might otherwise sneak through for another four years of agreeing with what ever the party says for a handsome reward.

Mandlebum has been remarkably quiet, Johnson ain't interested and that useless little twonk Milliband is keeping his gob shut, what a great Prime Minister he would make what with his strenght of character and all.

Then, as queried by a completely off the pace Nick Robinson, why the feck should we put up with another unelected leader? He didn't put it quite like that, but I knew that's what he meant.

Finally, who? Mandlebum probably dreams, and you do wonder, Balls, oh I loathe him, Milliband wants his cake and eat it or something, how about that Purnell blokey?

Oooh, Harperson, please no.

Ain't particularly looking forward to the Tories either, a remarkably crap Government hardly makes for a lean and mean opposition does it, election is going to be a bit like an FA Cup final between Gillingham and Torquay, no offence to either.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 07:08:08 PM »

Yep, wot 'e said.

I'd prefer to see McDoom utterly McRuined at the polls. He thoroughly deserves to go down in history as being an abject failure from start to miserable finish.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 11:51:21 PM »
Ditto.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c