Author Topic: Moredon  (Read 8701 times)

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
Moredon
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:49:10 PM »
Maureen Caton, ex Labour Moredon Councillor was at the Council for Labour's group meeting last night.

Could she be putting herself forward to stand again?  Never a shy one to launch into a personal tirade of abuse towards any opposition member, and certainly didn't mince her words when asked what she thought of the residents who voted her out after 20+ years of representing them.

Maureen previously lost her seat Cllr Steph Exell, who was the final Conservative gain in the ward following Cllr Colin Lovell replacing Jim D'Avila and Cllr David Wren replacing Derique Montaunt.

Cllr David Wren is our candidate as he seeks re-election.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Moredon
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »
Maureen Caton, ex Labour Moredon Councillor was at the Council for Labour's group meeting last night.

Last time I saw Caton she was in a foul, loud mouthed mood and I think she may have been quite, quite pissed. 

I was quite surprised as she was at the count at the time.  Not how I'd want my elected representative to behave in public.

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:33:36 PM »
Was this the same same David Wren, whilst wearing his Labour Party hat, who beat Councillor Garry Perkins in Dorcan?  Remember they had to parachute him into Shaw and Nine Elms the following year so he could get his educational portfolio back.

I get dizzy with all these changes.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 03:57:48 PM »
Geoff said: "Last time I saw Caton she was in a foul, loud mouthed mood and I think she may have been quite, quite pissed."

Don't think you know Maureen very well, no offense should be taken, she treats everyone with equality.   :)

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

AndyH

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 04:29:16 PM »
Last time I saw Caton she was in a foul, loud mouthed mood and I think she may have been quite, quite pissed. 
I was quite surprised as she was at the count at the time.  Not how I'd want my elected representative to behave in public.

Geoff said: "Last time I saw Caton she was in a foul, loud mouthed mood and I think she may have been quite, quite pissed."

Don't think you know Maureen very well, no offence should be taken, she treats everyone with equality.   :)

Can’t help but agree with muggings here, as I’ve had a lot of dealings with Maureen over the years. One thing I would always say is that she was a hard worker and passionate about what she does and for that you cannot fault her.

The unfortunate thing about passionate politicians, as I know to my peril, is that they act from the heart and not always from the party or public “PC” bible, like so many of the professional politicians we see these days.

Maybe I’m somewhat biased in such matters but I’d rather have a an elected representative who I know has the heart for what they do rather than one who just does and say’s what “PC”. At least that way I’d know that they honestly believed in what they were saying, even if I didn’t agree with them. Be interesting hear what other TS’er think.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 04:37:04 PM »
Agree with Andy about Maureen's passion for helping her constituents is she possibly could.

Trouble is in public office you need to be all things to all people........
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:52:43 PM »
Hi Geoff
Perhaps we can have a Dizzy icon/wink whatever they are called.... Oh and a parachute one too Please?

Was this the same same David Wren, whilst wearing his Labour Party hat, who beat Councillor Garry Perkins in Dorcan?  Remember they had to parachute him into Shaw and Nine Elms the following year so he could get his educational portfolio back.

I get dizzy with all these changes.

Yes almost right, I went across to fight a sitting Labour Councillor David Cox in Toothill, but David turned up in Central ward fighting amongst others Michael Dickenson. Who won against all odds! My moving opened the seat and Garry was selected though I would not describe it as a parachute drop more of a strategic consolidation. :0

Contesting the super safe impregnable conservative seat of Shaw and Nine Elms did not appeal to me as much as fighting for the very marginal Toothill and Westlea, against a sitting councillor.

I do not enjoy military exercises with blank ammunition, I relish skirmishing well in the front line with the bayonet; some say I only react to the smell of Cordite...... That is not nearly as true as actually, I love the smell of Napalm in the morning. ;)
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:43:12 PM »

I’d rather have a an elected representative who I know has the heart for what they do rather than one who just does and say’s what “PC”.

I agree completely there's 'heart and soul' and then there's bitter, pissed and abusive  :)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 11:05:24 AM »
Why are you dragging me into it.

I didn't say nuffink.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 09:23:06 AM »
Labour are working here were do all these Labour people come from people offering to leaflet?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 09:36:58 AM »
It looks as though the Tories will be busy then as David Wren, being Mayor, will not be available to canvas.

Could another Tory seat be under serious threat here then?

This is going to be an interesting election.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »
Ringer "Labour are working here were do all these Labour people come from people offering to leaflet?"

One things for sure they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't beleive in what they were doing.  Must be a great network going on.

Could it be that Labour has more support than some of TS chatters think?

AndyH

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »
Ringer "Labour are working here were do all these Labour people come from people offering to leaflet?"

One things for sure they wouldn't be doing it if they didn't beleive in what they were doing.  Must be a great network going on.

There's been a big push from the unions as well, getting members, stewards and officials out on the street. I think Mike & Anne have been calling in a few favours an bussing them in from other areas.

I had an email recently asking me to log on to the pone number web site and join in phoning union members to support Labour, needless to say I didn't, although I was tempted to join in asking members to vote Lib Dem.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 07:49:07 PM »
I can see Labour doing well round here. Not convinced it's right, I prefer to imagine Swindon doing well and political affiliation being coincidental.

I think of it as the Bluh effect, and if he was Labour I could see the Conservatives doing well.

Mistrust is an apolitical thing.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 08:25:01 PM »

No... I don't think so Muggins.
i think most people know full well that Labour have huge support in Swindon. They ( the voters of Swindon) did return 2 Labour EmPees after all. That's quite a lot of support.

Bussing people in to leaflet/canvass is all fine by me, having been bussed into spots myself... it's all part and parcel of acting on one's convictions.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2010, 10:48:48 AM »
Think that's more or less what I said ZPW. Also know that there are some Labour supporters sat on their backsides not doing a lot for various reasons, so the shipped in one's are the more energetic and probably younger and that's how it should be. 

This is the first year for several when one particular party (not Labour) member aged well into her 80's has leafleted this whole estate on her own.  She has my respect and admiration for her devotion to her beliefs. 

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2010, 11:20:43 AM »
Well done to the leafletter, but actually well done to anyone who gets off their back side to leaflet etc. I think that the Octogenerian lady is an example to us all. The fact is labour has become re=energised, only last night at Council Cllr Bob Wright was telling how he was working with Labour on the streets of west Swindon!  :smiley6600:

I know from comments I have had that people were glad to see labour were back listening to them and that the MP was with them, not everyone votes Labour in the West but their are still voters who want to see their party putting up a fight. As a wannabe Lib Dem some may think? non affilliated councillor I am observing the election from a completly different perspective. I must say that Cllr Keith Williams did look confident, studious and friendly last night, as I do not even know who the other players are in Shaw and Nineelms Keith can walk on, walk on as the song goes.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 12:51:51 PM »
It looks as though the Tories will be busy then as David Wren, being Mayor, will not be available to canvas.

He'd be no loss to the town either as Mayor or councillor.

Last nights council meeting was the worst chaired council meeting I've ever attended.

By now, after 12 months 'understudying' as deputy Mayor and 8 months to 'get used to it' as the Mayor I was disappointed to see my already low expectations of him confirmed when he allowed his own partisanship, snottiness and generally shitty demeanour to tarnish the office of Mayor.

Normally I wouldn't have a pop at the Mayor, but last nights meeting was chaired by a politician merely dressed as the Mayor....

....and the civic persona of the Mayor, the one which usually attracts a reasonable amount of respect from me, was absent.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »
Oh so well put Geoff.
1- He crossed the floor
2- He was rewarded with a cabinet post to manage the implementation of the recycling.
3- After failing in the cabinet he was then given the job as Mayor to get him off the hook.
4- Now as you have observed he was incapable of chairing the council meeting.
5- What next for him? Any suggestions.
Bobby

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 04:11:59 PM »
Pipe , slippers, glass of port and off for nice sleep perhaps
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later