Author Topic: WELL 2010 is HERE ! WHAT WILL 2010 BRING US ELECTION-WISE !  (Read 18462 times)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
Re: WELL 2010 is HERE ! WHAT WILL 2010 BRING US ELECTION-WISE !
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
There is a commenter on the Adver website , I have noticed,  that appears to live in wroughton,
and reading between the lines, voted for Steve Wakefield (Toothill &Westlea) and wants him to resign !

I think this person needs educating re: voting etc, and also a lesson in Geography !

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/4832958.Ex_mayor_quits_tories/?ref=mr

the poster is a 'jhnhck, wroughton'

so education has a key part to play in the voting process !
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 11:00:12 PM »
But do residents vote for dirty campaigns?

Over recent years in the local elections we have tried to be super positive, infact pretty much ignoring the opposition parties and our share of the vote has increased significantly.

What is crucial is finding ways for us political people to be relevant enough for people to take an interest to vote.

That said, whilst I don't support compulsory voting I do really value the importance of voting.  As I have said in another post, I was angry at what I saw which motivated me to get into politics.  I have never missed vote in my life, and I would love more people to value their vote.  We only have to look around the world for countless examples of where people would love the same opportunities as us.

Well I personally don't like to think people are fighting dirty !
and I find it off-putting !

I have always voted and I think that our young people need to be educated as to why we vote and the value of it.
It would be good to be taught as a topic for all year 10/11 pupils.

The art of a good dirty campaign is to be dirty yet look clean.......most parties use this to some extent by putting misleading commitments in their manifestos that if not an outright lie, stretch the English language to breaking point.  They might not be dirty in the sense that they slag off the opposition, but they're dirty in the sense that they mistreat the electorate and start a new cycle of cynisism and anger towards all politicians, which is probably far more damaging in the long term and results in a low turn out at the polling stations.

After all, they are today's children, tomorrows leaders - possibly !

We could always outsource that role to a low cost location  ;)

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 11:21:56 PM »
In my opinion:

1 - Politicians need to offer a choice.
2 - Politicians need to be relevant, talking about issues that really matter to people and engage in a way that interests people.
3 - Politicians need to share and understand the issues they are dealing with.
4 - Politicians need to not be afraid to make mistakes and speak what they really think, rather than pre-programmed, super boring spin.
5 - Politicians need to relax and enjoy their roles.

Not an exhausting list, but they would help!

Justin

As a voter without affiliations to any political party whose voted for 5 different parties in assorted elections (without going to the lunatic fringes) at the moment I'd put top of the list that politicians need to be seen acting with integrity and over the next parliament be prepared to share the pain that they are going to have to inflict on the rest of us!

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 12:46:26 AM »

In my opinion:

2 - Politicians need to be relevant, talking about issues that really matter to people and engage in a way that interests people.
4 - Politicians need to not be afraid to make mistakes and speak what they really think, rather than pre-programmed, super boring spin.

That is also a comprehensive list of Rod Bluh's failures as leader of the Council and Tory group.

No offence Rod, but......

Offline Muggins

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 09:27:34 AM »
A good start is for parties not to put up the un-genuine paper candidates in areas where they have no chance of winning but take votes (because most people don't understand the concept of paper candidates and think they are giving a valid vote) from them who do genuinely want to win that seat.

PS can't remember how many times (and by how many parties)  I've been asked to be such a candidate! 

and yes,  nasty dirty mud slinging campaigns DO put people off voting.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2010, 12:10:50 AM »
That is also a comprehensive list of Rod Bluh's failures as leader of the Council and Tory group.

No offence Rod, but......

Nah, offence where offence is due…

In my opinion:

Rather than presenting their own vision as the one and only truth and dismissing all those that disagree as enemies of Swindon.

Rather than talking about one bricks-and-mortar issue to the exclusion of all others. What happens to Swindon town centre is of far less relevance to someone living near the Orbital Centre than it is to a resident of Clifton Street.

So, Mr Bluh, don't be so patronising and dismissive when people question the council's decisions. Understanding and respect come through dialogue and explanation, not through arrogant attacks.

So now that the economic crisis has b*ggered up the town centre regeneration, don't tell us that an oversized telly will "put Swindon on the map" nor that changing some paving stones will make Swindon "exciting" and "vibrant" and a "destination of choice". Admit that there's a problem and that regeneration isn't going well.

Go on, Mr Bluh, smile, try to be nice about those you perceive to be your opponents, because, deep down, most of them want to see Swindon a successful town too.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Liz Walker

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »
Changing subject slightly I wonder why some people would WANT to be councillors or MP's. :uglystupid2:
Its a bit like why do people want to be a police officer?

You want to make a difference, you care about the place you live in and you want to help your fellow man....so you make the decision to be a Cllr or MP.  (And I am talking generically here and not about any particular person or party)

Even if you are the best thing since sliced bread [which begs the question what was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread] even if you work yer gnarly lil fingers to the bone there will always be some bar steward who will try to rip you apart at every turn. :tickedoff:

I think the way local and national politicians have been ripped into puts a lot of people off standing for council or parliament. :emb:

The comments section in the adver makes me positively cringe at times and I often wonder what these 'anonymous' posters would say to the person they are freely writing about if they met them face to face.

I love a good debate thats well argued and articulate but it's a skill that sadly seems to have been lost...now its all insults and destructive criticism so one is left wondering, why would you put yourself forward for the hell that is public office?
Redoubt-supporting victims of anti-social behaviour in Swindon. swindonredoubt@live.co.uk

Offline Muggins

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »
Before I knew anything about what I was talking about, I observed that the very worst people to be politicians were the ones that wanted to be.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Liz Walker

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2010, 12:17:27 PM »
Thats the point tho Muggins,

Are the people who SHOULD be politicians put off because of the 'never good enough' attitude of the people/press and/or because of the politicians we already have? :-\
Redoubt-supporting victims of anti-social behaviour in Swindon. swindonredoubt@live.co.uk

Offline Muggins

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2010, 12:22:04 PM »
I don't think so, there are lots of different kinds of motivation, including an expenses budget. Unfortunately it's not mostly about that' I want to do something for my community' as there are lots of other ways you can do that - after all look at you and me!!

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2010, 07:28:31 PM »

In my opinion:

Justin

[/quote]

I wonder if there should be a ration put on posts during a general election year?
Just a thought.

Interesting list Jaytea.
Worried I am by the implication that the list could go on ( and on, and on, and on)
Why is it such a long list?

My list...
Polictians should be
Clever
Honest
Good.

Don't care overly for your relaxed mode... I don't want anyone in charge to be relaxed, I want them to be focussed in a clever,honest and good way. Go to it.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2010, 10:15:18 PM »
I love a good debate thats well argued and articulate but it's a skill that sadly seems to have been lost...now its all insults and destructive criticism so one is left wondering, why would you put yourself forward for the hell that is public office?

Because you have got your shit together, remember who voted for you and why, cos you ain't that arsed about party loyalty and are equally at home in an articulate argument or a damn good slagging, sometimes confusing the two. Which is always fun.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline komadori

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2010, 10:18:32 PM »
Even if you are the best thing since sliced bread [which begs the question what was the best thing BEFORE sliced bread] even if you work yer gnarly lil fingers to the bone there will always be some bar steward who will try to rip you apart at every turn. :tickedoff:

I think the way local and national politicians have been ripped into puts a lot of people off standing for council or parliament. :emb:
Well, yes, but that's a bit like blaming the victim of a crime for reporting the crime. 'Tis the nature of politics that what one person thinks is a good deed another will think is a gross error. I'm sure Mr Blair thought he was doing the 'right thing' when he joined the war against Iraq. That doesn't mean he should be exempted for criticism for that decision.

The comments section in the adver makes me positively cringe at times and I often wonder what these 'anonymous' posters would say to the person they are freely writing about if they met them face to face.
I don't write what I wouldn't be prepared to say to someone's face. And politicians trudging the streets knocking on doors get some comments that are far worse than anything written in the Adver. That's not to defend that sort of comment, but to point out that it's nothing new, just rather more visible to the populace than it used to be.

Whilst some of the insults and destructive criticism is clearly unwarranted, I think a large amount is a result of frustration. I'd also love to have a well argued and articulate debate with several of our councillors, and my MP. Unfortunately, far too few of them are willing to do so.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 10:44:18 PM »
Mrs Snelgrove always tells me to go and sit on the naughty step when I write to her. Well, that's what it feels like.

Still, I got a Christmas Card, which I paid for out of her £10k comms budget I expect. See, that's how churlish I can be.

Tell you what, let's list good things that politicians have done, and if we can't find five bad things for each good thing I will be nice to politicians.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »
 :popcorn:
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2010, 02:15:42 AM »

Positive 1. The Freedom of information Act.

:popcorn:

Offline komadori

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »
Negative 1.1 MPs' attempts to exempt themselves from the act
Negative 1.2 Ministers using the loopholes inserted into the act to ensure that cabinet papers are excluded.
Negative 1.3 MPs claiming 'commercial confidentiality' as an excuse for not revealing anything about any vaguely dodgy deal, even though it's our money they're dodgily dealing with.
Negative 1.4 Using the fact that they did introduce FOI to claim that they favour open government, even when much else that they have done (and in the case of the government's representative in South Swindon, her own voting record) suggests the opposite.
Negative 1.5 Treating those that do use FOI to get information as though they are some sort of unreasonable snooping pest interfering in government, rather than as citizens exercising their legal rights.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2010, 09:53:10 AM »
Real People Real power - Communties in Control. If they can get it to work here. Not so good local as yet.

All sorts of Anti social behaviour legislation that was not there 10 yeas ago, and investment in Police and CPSO (like 'em or not they are making a difference.   And thank you  thank you have almost brought an end to that perenial illegal motorbike nuisance.

Vast investment in education - schools and adult learning etc. Impefect but the investment is there.

The NHS is saved from complete doom and getting better all the time.

And my bins have been emptied on time and in good order for so many years I can't remember the last time they were missed.

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »
No one has suggested that we could wave goodbye to our beloved Rod and Leader this May.  I believe that the good people of Dorcan are taking note of recent events and will vote accordingly.

Events dear boy events!!

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »
I fully expect the good people of Dorcan will wave goodbye to Rod, but only using two fifths of their hand!
Bobby