Author Topic: On swindonlink.com Now  (Read 68098 times)

Offline swindonlinkman

• The best read publication in town
Re: On swindonlink.com Now
« Reply #240 on: November 17, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »
Swindon Climate Question Time. Adrian Read of Swindon Climate Change Network reports on what is being done both locally and nationally following a debate on 12 November

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #241 on: November 26, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »
www.swindonlink.com has been redesigned and given a fresh new look. Comments welcome

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #242 on: November 26, 2010, 05:43:14 PM »
Swindon Climate Change Network organising coach to climate change rally on 6 December. Details on site

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #243 on: November 26, 2010, 05:43:46 PM »
5 amazing competitions at www.swindonlink.com to launch new look site

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #244 on: December 01, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »
Happy turkeys say buy early for the festive season

Afghan Pop Idol Stars in film on 7 December

A 4 year council leader. What's your view? Council considers adopting the Strong Leader Cabinet Model

Swindon's lantern parade on 2 December

Christmas Cheer at STEAM Museum - 4 & 5 December

Swindon pensioner an unsung swimming star

5 great competitions (click on the top banner on site):
Win Melinda’s help in the kitchen. Delicious recipes for all the family from Swindon superstar mum

Win ‘A Drummer’s Perspective,’ a fantastic new book about the guys at the back of the stage

The Wonders and Beauty of Westonbirt. Win a beautiful book plotting the season's at the National Arboretum with a forward by HRH the Duchess of Cornwall

Win a Toy Story 3 DVD and Hot Wheels Crazy Claw Track set from Tesco, Mattel and Disney Pixar

Become the Lord of the Manor in our great prize worth £250 at Wiltshire's Manor House Hotel

Offline Drone

« Reply #245 on: December 02, 2010, 06:25:56 AM »
www.swindonlink.com has been redesigned and given a fresh new look. Comments welcome

Front page looks much cleaner and easy to use!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #246 on: December 02, 2010, 02:08:11 PM »
Search is on for special people. Nominations open for Pride of #Swindon's award. Find out how to put forward somebody at www.swindonlink.com

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #247 on: December 23, 2010, 10:43:48 AM »
23 December. Last chance for kids to go into Roves Farm manger with live animals

Swindon Link UK has urgent appeal for blood donations as bad weather hits stocks

More places to be provided at North Swindon primary schools

Inspirational headteacher leaves Millbrook primary. See last assembly picture

Swindon mum Liz Brackenbury says Digital City free wi-fi comes with dangers

Example to set standard for entertainment at Swindon’s newest entertainment venue

Swindon's Mechanics Trust launches new look and new website

Swindon Link Swindon Foodbank celebrates 5 years in town

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #248 on: December 23, 2010, 02:44:14 PM »
800 houses proposed for Ridgeway Farm, West Swindon. Taylor Wimpey Developments Ltd wants to build houses, primary school and healthcare facility on Swindon's border, but in Wiltshire. Green belt between town and Purton to be swallowed up. See story in slideshow at top of www.swindonlink.com

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #249 on: December 31, 2010, 10:03:14 AM »
Developers make formal application to build 890 houses on land between Coate Water and Great Western Hospital. Story at www.swindonlink.com

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #250 on: December 31, 2010, 06:06:55 PM »
A Happy New Year to all from www.swindonlink.com

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #251 on: January 04, 2011, 03:41:56 PM »
What’s the best way to lead Swindon Council? Why have the people of the town been excluded from discussion on what kind of leadership there should be? Residents ignored for second time in ten years, asks Geoff Reid.

Big Society. How does it ‘fit’ into or around Swindon? Bryan Hutchinson for Voluntary Action Swindon writes about the challenges and opportunies.

Are we all 'happy' in a Cameronesque way? Matt Holland gives his take on the question

Town Centre empty shops used for an exhibition: ‘Where is the hope?’

The developers are coming at us: housing plans for Tadpole Farm (1700), Ridgeway Farm (800), Grange Park Hook Street (180), Coate Water (900) - in addition to 500 still to be built in North Swindon, 200 at Mouldon Views, about 350 for Hreod Parkway and Moredon primary school sites.

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #252 on: January 07, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
Swindon SureStart Centres being cut by 12%. Story is on www.swindonlink.com

Offline Muggins

« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2011, 02:21:56 PM »
We have heard that it is a 1/3rd cut for Penhill. 

The government announces that Surestart would be safe with them last May, but they did not promise not to cut.  They did however say that they would take it more back to where it started as a support form parents from conception to preschool and for the most disadvantaged areas, so why has this council taken a 12% cut for Swindon and put 33% cut on the Penhill Surestart? 

Surestart was heralded as being one of those 'breaking the cycle of deprivation'  initiatives when it was set up. To prepare the child to have sure start when it went to school, to improve parenting skills where needed and pick up problems well upstream. 

Personally I thought that taking Surestart, spreading it all over the place as Childrens Centres  and having it serve a wider age group, sort of reduced it's effectiveness.  The Penhill Surestart was the first in Swindon and actually was supoosed to serve the old Whitworth Ward, which included  300 homes in the Pinehurst. As usual when the boundary changed happened at the same time as the grant, it was made into 'Penhill and Pinehurst' and diluted yet again. 

This dilution is always happening because Pinehurst's deprivation never shows up so much because it was at first in three wards and then in two, with more affluent areas in them. Pinehurst never seemed to get it's own funding but ours always leaked into theirs.   

Pinehurst Surestart had its own purpose built building that within a couple of years was taken away because it was in the way of the new academy build.   Not a lot of good forward planning went into that. I think that they now function in some way out of the Academy, whilst Penhill Surestart has our old community centre and grounds.

It is a very strange move to make a 12% cut into a 33% cut to one community with the highest disadvantage figures - very strange indeed.

I look forward to finding out why.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2011, 02:26:33 PM »
Penhill is cut by a third - says so on site story. Savage. Why?

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2011, 02:45:34 PM »
Who decides the cuts, is it central or local government?

Maybe Penhill has already received greater than average funding for such things and so the upcoming cut puts them back in line with other areas? Maybe there are less young children in Penhill than there were (unlikely, I'd have thought) or maybe its Councillors haven't put in the same effort as others to secure their funding.

Would be interesting to know the rationale, although, as ever, if it's being done for nefarious reasons we'll certainly never be told as much.

"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Muggins

« Reply #256 on: January 07, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »
This is a government cut with a large dose of localism thrown in.  I suppose the the government would decide the cut (12%) and our councillors have decided where they will make that cut locally. 

The first probably in a long line of mis-interpretation of what the localism bill is saying it does. 

You could be right 20 Eyes:   Although I would think it wrong to penalise it now for having more in the past,  which I very much doubt, part of which I explained in my last post -  what's usually meant for Penhill gets diluted off.  I would not that as an excuse for the money to go to more advantaged areas.  Or to be spent in another disdavantaged area, each areea has had it streams of funding, maybe not for exactly the same things but had it none the less. i.e. Parks for instance had an enormous regeneration fund that we did not get.  Not grumbling about that, we got our share in other ways.

The numbers of children?  that could be a reason, the numbers are pretty stable usually, but they could have done some growing up I suppose.

Neither of our councillors are in the ruling party either nationally or locally so any effort they make is spitting in the wind, although I expect them to scream and scream over this.  all our community consultations results have resulted in a focus on children and youth.

I can think of a couple of nefarious reasons, but I'll keep them to myself until we get an explanation of this decision, let's see if if it's rational and fair first.  You never know it might be a mistake!! 

I believe there are to be interviews on BBC Wiltshire on Monday morning,  Cllr Renard fielding them on behalf of the cabinet.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #257 on: January 27, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »
What’s the best way to lead Swindon Council? Why have the people of the town been excluded from discussion on what kind of leadership there should be? Residents ignored for second time in ten years, wrote Geoff Reid in the January Link magazine

See the article at: http://www.swindonlink.com/news/whats-the-best-way-to-lead-swindon-council

Council leader Rod Bluh has replied in the February edition and online at: http://www.swindonlink.com/news/the-best-way-to-lead-swindon-council

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #258 on: February 01, 2011, 06:17:49 PM »
It's all at www.swindonlink.com
• North Swindon to get £700k of Section 106 money for local project
• Relieve your soul, or is it soles at new fish spa
• Mum concerned about Wi-Max antenna on childrens' centres and schools
• What's it like to be homeless? Threshold Housing Link open day on 3 February
• Love trees on 13 February at Mouldon Hill country park
• Tobes puts on fascinating exhibition at Post Modern Gallery
and more....

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #259 on: February 03, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »
Swindon's Link Centre to get new £1.1million roof. Read about it at www.swindonlink.com