Author Topic: On swindonlink.com Now  (Read 64587 times)

Offline swindonlinkman

• The best read publication in town
Re: On swindonlink.com Now
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2010, 10:38:42 AM »
Business is not boring. Swindon College holds Open for Business Session aimed at school leavers.

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2010, 03:53:50 PM »
Journalist from Swindon reports on the gulf oil rig disaster at: http://bit.ly/cIDLyn

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2010, 05:23:05 PM »
60 Stunning Satellite Photos of Earth http://bit.ly/9P1nCN

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2010, 05:07:23 PM »
Surfing alpacas and other great animal pictures at http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/animals_in_the_news.html#photo37

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2010, 04:01:56 PM »
Aldi consults on new North Swindon store plan - Monday 17 May - only 6 days notice of meeting. See details at www.swindonlink.com

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2010, 12:57:35 PM »
Gulf oil disaster pictures by journalist from Swindon at http://www.facebook.com/aaaalex.ogle#!/photo.php?pid=43684652&id=14203331&fbid=791809764863

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2010, 05:22:10 PM »
Electric bikes in Swindon open day. See the very latest from Wisper (906xc Tourer Carbon Matrix), Gocycle, e-max, Powabyke and the new Raleigh ebikes and try some of them out.  There'll be the opportunity to see a collection of ebikes owned by local enthusiast Bob Wheeler.  See www.swindonlink.com for details

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »
Understand there are some issues with battery placement.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2010, 02:56:01 PM »
At last,  an ideal Mugginsobile!   
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2010, 03:22:21 PM »
Certainly not electric powered!

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »
Swindon town centre water feature switch on story and images at www.swindonlink.com

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2010, 10:31:52 AM »
Well is this the £3.9m worth?

What a disgraceful waste of public money.

and someone telephoned me about it last night and said they thought the Council had no money!!  We know it came from elsewhere but it is perceived as waste by the residents.

I wouldn't want to be a Tory in the locals next year because this is what is going to be thrown at them.

and are you going to write about Formula1 coming to West Swindon Roger?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #112 on: May 20, 2010, 11:01:41 AM »
Tell me more about Formula 1. I know nothing, or is this a developing urban myth to wind me up?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2010, 04:57:20 PM »
Tell me more about Formula 1. I know nothing, or is this a developing urban myth to wind me up?

Well Roger surely you have witnessed all these expensive armcos being replaced and extended all over West Swindon.  I just love the one on the exit from Tewesbury Way into Roughmoor Way which is sited behind a lamp post.  Now only SBC could do something so utterly rediculous.  I think this unfortunate mistake has cost us next year's New Swindon Street Circuit Grand Prix, seeing that the big weekend was such a stonking success.  Sadly Bernie Ecclestone was not impressed!

Considering the maximum speed limit, unrestricted when I came to Swindon in 1991, is now 40mph I consider this a gross mis spend of Public Money when services such as Enterprise Works have had to sustain budget cuts of £50,000.  Surely no one would disagree with me? 

I think we need a special section for the gross misuse of public money.  I need to get my camera out again.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #114 on: May 20, 2010, 05:36:19 PM »
I see your connection. After Mike Jarvis from Nine Elms wrote to Peter Greenhalgh on 5 May, I also wrote asking for a statement explaining what was going on about a week ago. Peter, if you're reading this, I've yet to receive a reply.
Mike's letter is below. Sounds like somebody should ask SBCs scrutiny committee to review this, or maybe you should put a complaint into the Local Government Ombudsman.

To all West Swindon councillors,

I wrote the following letter to Peter Greenhalgh on 5th May to which I have not had the courtesy of a reply. I realise that there has been the distraction of national and regional elections but I, along with others, am very concerned about this.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the meeting at the West Swindon Forum yesterday.

Having taken the outstanding decision to shut down Swindon’s speed cameras, a move which has clearly been successful, with no rise in accidents or road deaths, and the promise to spend the money more wisely on more effective safety devices and other schemes I, and almost everyone I know, commend you for discouraging such a blatant and ruthless tax on the motorist, and for taking genuine road safety measures more seriously .

However, I am writing this letter to express my serious concern about my, and all other Swindon taxpayer’s money now being dreadfully ill spent.

With Swindon’s roads literally falling apart, and in many cases liable to cause serious damage or injury, why are you installing crash barriers in such locations as Tewkesbury Way, Roughmoor Way etc. The risk of vehicles running off the road in any of these locations must be infinitesimal.

I have spoken to a number of local residents and not one could suggest a case for such financial madness.

Following thirteen years of Labour government our country is effectively bankrupt, and the condition of roads and highways all over the country are now amongst the worst in Europe. This, despite Britain’s road users being openly and stealthily taxed beyond credibility.

I doubt that there are many complete stretches of road in Swindon that are not damaged in some way. Where repairs have been done since the predictably cold weather it is generally a quick fix, shoddy, bodge job, in many cases already failing.

And yet you irresponsibly and openly waste our precious money in this and other ways.

Please advise on what grounds these decisions were made. Clarify how many accidents have occurred with loss of life or injury at these specific locations and, most importantly advise the true and complete cost of barrier installations including those recently installed, currently being installed and any others that are planned :-

I expect a reasonable response to this email.

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2010, 06:59:21 PM »
Is anybody going to Wembley for Swindon's big game? Would you be willing to write for swindonlink.com?

Also looking for as many images to go on swindonlink.com gallery. Mail me publisher@swindonlink.com if you can help

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2010, 10:28:15 AM »
Will you please consider writing an article on the subject of the armcos and the fact that a local councillor appears to be ignoring correspondance something for which he has something of a reputation alegedly.

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2010, 12:08:51 PM »
Certainly consider it, but time to get it down is proving a problem. Have you a picture of the location you mentioned earlier?

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
Taylor Wimpey gives less than a week's notice to see plans for 800 homes at Ridgeway Farm on Wednesday 26 May at Roughmoor Social Hall, Swinley Drive, Peatmoor. See drawings at www.swindonlink.com

See how the issue has developed over the last three years at http://www.swindonlink.com/news/wiltshire-plan-3000-homes-for-swindons-western-border

Are you willing to distribute leaflets in Peatmoor, Sparcells, Nine Elms over the weekend to make people aware of this? Mail me with your address: publisher@swindonlink.com with offers of a couple of hours.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2010, 06:00:37 PM »
Certainly consider it, but time to get it down is proving a problem. Have you a picture of the location you mentioned earlier?

Roger if you write the article I will take the pictures and email them to you raw