Author Topic: Dog Wardens function Mon-Sat only, office hours  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
Dog Wardens function Mon-Sat only, office hours
« on: October 25, 2009, 10:44:27 AM »
SBC have done it again. In the road neighbours and I have just spent 2 hours trying to catch a potentially dangerous labrador which is lost, won't stop barking, is clearly distressed and going to cause an accident- and we failed. 

On reporting it to the Dog Warden Number- they don't work on Sundays- so I called the Police who don't have facilites to protect citizens from dangerous dogs and only report it to the Dog Warden.

Great joined up thinking again from SBC- and sadly no-one has told the dogs.

I wonder who will have  contravened Health and Safety when someone gets hurt? :bash:

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
Re: Dog Wardens function Mon-Sat only, office hours
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 12:11:55 PM »
Hi Alex

i would question the rozzers response, sounds like a cop out to me, they must have dog handler who could have coped.

I have had dealings with the dog warden, he's a top bloke who cares about his job (don't know why when you see the manager he works for, full of sh..., one of the types who uses the words incentivise, synergy and holistic far too much ).

I am sure he's the only one in swindon, well he's the only one who ever bothers to turn up when asked, if he's on a 37 hour week, like the rest of us at SBC then there's no cover at weekends. (his mrs might moan if hes in work all week long, much like most people's mrs would) and i would guess he's paid a pittance too.

SBC is not a great place to work despite management's constant propaganda about how its the 'best place to work' in the west.

ha, what utter tripe. moral might be lower if it wasn't already at rock bottom.

the dog warden is probably as p...ed off with working there as the rest of us and needs his time at home to face truning up again on monday. i would suggest SBC provide weekend cover, but that might involve spending money, when all they seem to be interested in is cutting back services.

talking about health and safety, when he helped me he was having to get the stray to bite on a bit of stick so he could grab it, he didn't even have a the proper kit, he was improvisiing with what was to hand. at least i get decent kit to do my little bit.

Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Alex

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:46:27 PM »
Hi Tea Boy, yes I entirely agree with you. I believe that the Dog Warden chap is no doubt committed to do his best, but it is down to prioritisation of funding and rubbish management within SBC-again.

I know there are conflicting priorities and people need all sorts of help, but this is just stupid- the Police ( I spoke to 3 different call handlers who all said the same thing-"not the Police's job")  and SBC could have checked what happens re: out of hours cover when they reached their decision about funding.

The dog was last seen running towards the Town Gardens where I guess she just becomes more distressed and dangerous. She may eat the dead fish that I noticed  in the ornamental pond though, so she shouldn't starve, or she may just bite a child.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
S'easy.

You ring the Police, you announce that you have just loaded your twelve bore and you are about to take a regrettable course of action, eventually, cos you are not a very good shot, by the way, would this be a good time to renew your permit which appears to have lapsed in 1963.

It's cynical, it's bollocks, but it ticks all the boxes to provoke a reaction.

I'd visit you in Holloway.

Ooorah SBC.

Empty the feckin bins.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Alex

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »
Brilliant Mart- it actually does appear to be the only way to get a solution.

I've no idea where the dog is now- no sounds of barking anymore- so with some relief I consign it to a memory- which kind of goes against the grain. I normally like to resolve  a situation appropriately and not have to pass it on as some other innocent's  problem  but short of doing what you suggest - that's all there is.

Very unsatisfactory.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 06:20:01 PM »
Ta da - Alex, another victim of the dreaded 0845 number. Never mind being banded about around the departments, the length of time it takes to talk to someone is unbeleivable. No doubt the dog wasn't at all dangerous, justly really frightened.  Let's hope it found it's (stupid) owner.

Just in case, whilst you figure with the council what the hell you are supposed to do in such an emergency at weekends, perhaps you should have the Animal Sanctuary number to hand.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Alex

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
Thanks Muggins- I'll do that next time. I wondered how much the call was costing.....

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 05:59:28 PM »
0845 408 7000 Dread the thought how much it costs, I know that it's mostly answered immediately, but then the clock starts ticking on the charge, but by the time you've gone through all the pre-amble and multiple choices and then spoken to a 'reception' person and then that sometimes very loooooong wait for the next person to answer, and then going through all they need to know (age, race, phone, address) - each time it must be pretty expensive - I don't even attempt it on my Pay As You Go Mobile.

Nothings worse after doing that and patiently hanging on, than to be told there is nothing they can do!

Yes, they flipping well can, if they've a mind. 

And why when we get phone calls about anything else to doing with anything just giving them your post code get's them all the info they need. why haven;t the police got that too?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Alex

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 10:35:07 AM »
You're quite right Muggins. I have lowered my expectations too far and just assume they won't be up to date on technology.

I've realised now I must have been on the phone for about 20 minutes as I was holding the phone out of the window so they could hear the dog and how much it was barking- while they slooowwwllllyyyyy typed up a report based on what I stated- but without any of the adjectives which implied it was important.

Grrrrrrr

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 05:11:42 PM »
Occasionally we get invited to a town wide Police meeting.

How tempted have I been been to ring the number from a Police meeting with the old mobile on loudspeaker! 

Having said that I don't want to knock the Police themselves, they are more helpful than some of the other agencies, once you have their interest - but they certainly have not got their communications with the outside world right, especially that initial contact.

Could it be they also have made all their 'clerks' 'admin' redundant? You know - the ones who used to be able to answer a phone speedily and note things down in shorthand, and remember you if you had rung before.