Author Topic: The Wedding Singer - A Musical Romantic Comedy - Live in Swindon  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Burb

The Wedding Singer - A Musical Romantic Comedy - Live in Swindon
« on: September 06, 2009, 06:09:46 PM »
THE WEDDING SINGER - live in Swindon!

It’s back to the eighties for a Swindon-based performance group. Micro Musicals are performing a The Wedding Singer at the Arts Centre. It’s a musical version of the 1999 romantic comedy film. Just a couple of years ago, this was playing as a new musical on Broadway, and we are delighted to be putting on one of the very first amateur productions in the UK.

This year’s production stars Richard Parker as Robbie Hart, as played by Adam Sandler in the film, while Drew Barrimore’s role of Julia is played by Debbie Caddy. The youngest cast member, Becci Smith, is just 17. Rob Burbidge the director, who at age 46 remembers the eighties the first time around, is struck by how much the world has changed since then – in 1985, a mobile phone was the size of a brick, the internet was something found only in universities, and CD players were a very expensive novelty. Quite a few cast members are in their twenties or younger, and it comes as a shock when you have to explain to them how different the world was just 25 years ago! And of course, the 80s fashions … mullet haircuts and shoulder pads. A few of the older member of the cast have dusted off a few genuine 80s gems, too. The story requires no less than four brides and therefore four wedding outfits...

The Wedding Singer is cleverly composed in a 1980s style – there are homages to Spandau Ballet, American power rock, Billy Joel and Michael Jackson in the music. And like any decent rom-com, it has plenty of one liners and a happy ending!

Show dates are 8-10 Oct at 7.30pm. Arts Centre, Devizes Road, Swindon. For tickets, call 01793 825645 or email tickets@micromusicals.co.uk. Ticket prices are £8, £7 for concessions.

Micro Musicals was founded by Rob Burbidge and his wife Tina in 1997, and has put on a musical almost every year since. No stranger to firsts, they’ve produced local amateur premieres of Honk! (2002), Summer Holiday (2005) and Return to the Forbidden Planet (2008).

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: The Wedding Singer - A Musical Romantic Comedy - Live in Swindon
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 07:32:56 PM »

I bought my first cd player in 1985. Bloody thing cost me £399.

The first cd I owned was Phil Collins 'No Jacket Required' and the first track I played on it was Sussudio ))))

Anyway, I like Adam Sandler, (although I haven't yet managed to get all the way to the end of 'Punch Drunk Love'), I like musical theatre and I thought the 'Wedding Singer was a really funny filum..... so count me in  O0

Offline Burb

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 08:03:46 PM »
I look forward to seeing you there. The show has a really funny script too. For those of you who know the film, I can confirm this show has the "rapping grandma" too.

I'm hoping for lots of interest - Swindon has a vibrant musical theatre scene and we aim to be a significant part of it.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 08:42:43 PM »

I bought my first cd player in 1985. Bloody thing cost me £399.

The first cd I owned was Phil Collins 'No Jacket Required' and the first track I played on it was Sussudio ))))

Anyway, I like Adam Sandler, (although I haven't yet managed to get all the way to the end of 'Punch Drunk Love'), I like musical theatre and I thought the 'Wedding Singer was a really funny filum..... so count me in  O0

The first CD I owned was Bat out Of Hell - MeatLoaf
Then the second was Legend Bob Marley  lol

maybe it was an animal thing ........ Bats (Bat out of Hell) and Buffalo's (Buffalo soldier) lol  ;)

My very first vinyl was " I'll be your long haired lover from Liverpool" Jimmy Osmond - me mum had a record player thing-a-me-jig in the sideboard lol
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 09:10:05 AM »
My first music player was a wind up gramaphone, no not with the loudspeaker horn and Nipper the dog, but it was a Decca Dansette. The first record I bought was David Whitfield singing "Cara Mia Mine"
Bobby

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 10:35:24 AM »
Great film!

Just passed this info onto a friend as it is his all time favourite film, so hopefully that will be another couple of tickets sold.

Offline Burb

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 05:39:57 PM »
And just to keep it interesting, I am on the lookout for a prop. Since you guys are happy to discuss Phil Collins and Dansette record players, does anyone have a "brick" mobile phone I can borrow for the show - you know, the kind that you see at the start of that rather annoying ad for Virgin Airlines where the businessman in red braces is calling his mate at work.

I have an old phone but it may not be old enough. We are insured and you can have it back afterwards, I promise.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:01:53 PM »

'Fraid I dumped my first, (and only), 'transportable' mobile phone years ago.

...but I guess what you really want is one of these?

Offline Burb

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 11:19:42 PM »
Might to - I can't see the second picture. :)

Offline Burb

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 11:20:22 PM »
Scratch that - the picture has appeared now! Yes, that's what I want!!!

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »
I don't have a 'brick' phone - but I have a 1989 Micro TAC...?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Burb

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 11:49:09 AM »
I've got something similar to a Micro Tac already (if the picture on wikipedia is anything to go by). The "brick" phone has more visual impact though...