Poll

Who would you most like to see stand and succeed in becoming elected ?

David Glaholm
1 (2.1%)
Laura Baker
4 (8.5%)
Andy Harrison
16 (34%)
The Chav
23 (48.9%)
Muggins
3 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: 2010 Elections - Penhill Ward  (Read 34350 times)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
Re: 2010 Elections - Penhill Ward
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2009, 10:54:37 PM »
So is Laura Baker officially selected as the Labour candidate?

It will be interesting to see how Cllr Glaholm will do if he does stand as an independent?

I believe so.
Yes it will be interesting to say the least.

Who is the tory candidate ?
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2009, 11:12:31 PM »
Hi Justin

So who will be the tory candidate standing in Penhill ?

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2009, 11:39:43 PM »
Not selected yet.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2009, 11:50:55 PM »
Not selected yet.

Is that because no one is interested ?

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2009, 12:03:26 AM »
Not selected yet.

Is that because no one is interested ?

Nope - just a bit early for us to select yet.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2009, 10:02:44 AM »
Tory candidate? My money would be on Glaholm because eventually the tories will accept one of his many applications to join them. They cannot keep on refusing him.
Bobby

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
 :popcorn:

Well what I will say, is that who ever gets in, needs to have a bit of fight in them
and work with the people in our community and LISTEN to the people, be HONEST
and SUPPORTIVE.

It's about working together for the better of the community at the end of the day.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2009, 02:57:33 PM »
Well said Chav but someone like that will be difficult to find.
How many of the current councillors do you thik would fit your criteria?
Bobby

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2009, 04:14:27 PM »
Well said Chav but someone like that will be difficult to find.
How many of the current councillors do you thik would fit your criteria?

Hmm maybe, maybe not !

There are a few gooduns out there  O0

I recon they should be interviewed by a pannel of community activists/leaders who reside in the ward they are standing in and wish to
represent !
I know they go through a selection process within their party (correct me if I am wrong)

Would in not be a good thing if community activists/reps were involved in the selection process for each party, as we are the ones who know our community well, and we know who the best candidate for each party would be.

It would purely be based on weather or not we as community reps thought that they had what it takes, and most of all, someone who we could all work with as well as support them in supporting and serving our community.

Then when the election time comes, we would at least know whoever we get from which ever party the people vote in, at least they would be right for the job  O0

Maybe its time for change  ??? (as in the way in which the process is implemented )

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2010, 07:19:42 PM »
I have something up my sleeve election-wise re: Penhill , hopefully for the 1st May.
All will be revealed once I have done what I need to do and have all the correct info etc
that I need to push what I intend to do forward !

I don't think it's been done in Penhill before, but If all goes to plan and I can pull this off , then
I will be happy  :)

As I say, all will be revealed shortly, once I have sorted a few things and have got the confirmation that I need to get  :angel:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2010, 07:51:24 PM »
Very cryptic Chav, can I help?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2010, 08:15:44 PM »
Very cryptic Chav, can I help?

I am sure you can Muggins  ;)
I will be in touch  ))))

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2010, 07:49:22 PM »
I am hoping to do type of community question time event in the Penhill Ward on May 1st.
It will be to help promote local democracy and community engagement.

If this does go ahead -( as I have to check out the legalities etc) as it will involve Penhill Voice media group - going out on air, as well as in Penhill News (once I get it cleared), I am hoping to achieve the following:

I will be sending out invites to all candidates who will be standing for Election within the Penhill Wards, (Mendip close, Haydon View & part of Cricklade road), inviting them to join us for A Penhill pre-election, question and answer session.

Once I know this is a goer,
I will be inviting the residents from the Penhill Wards only, to come along and ask the candidates questions etc.
I am aiming to get the residents interested in the local elections, and for the candidates to engage with them and vice versa.

I think there is a lack of interest in local politics and I hope that people come to actually see who they could be potentially voting for. Its all good and well just seeing a photo on a leaflet, but to actually engage, ask questions and see these people
in the flesh, and get to actually speak to them is a good thing.
Words and pictures do not make a good Councillor - people skills do!
I will not be tolerating any slanging matches either, as they will be out the door!

Any way I won't waffle , but Its in the planning stage at the moment, plus I need the full list of Candidates before I proceed.

I will post more info once I know for definite that this is a goer !

AndyH

« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »
I am hoping to do type of community question time event in the Penhill Ward on May 1st.
It will be to help promote local democracy and community engagement.

If this does go ahead -( as I have to check out the legalities etc) as it will involve Penhill Voice media group - going out on air, as well as in Penhill News (once I get it cleared), I am hoping to achieve the following:

I will be sending out invites to all candidates who will be standing for Election within the Penhill Wards, (Mendip close, Haydon View & part of Cricklade road), inviting them to join us for A Penhill pre-election, question and answer session.

Once I know this is a goer,
I will be inviting the residents from the Penhill Wards only, to come along and ask the candidates questions etc.
I am aiming to get the residents interested in the local elections, and for the candidates to engage with them and vice versa.

I think there is a lack of interest in local politics and I hope that people come to actually see who they could be potentially voting for. Its all good and well just seeing a photo on a leaflet, but to actually engage, ask questions and see these people
in the flesh, and get to actually speak to them is a good thing.
Words and pictures do not make a good Councillor - people skills do!
I will not be tolerating any slanging matches either, as they will be out the door!

Any way I won't waffle , but Its in the planning stage at the moment, plus I need the full list of Candidates before I proceed.

I will post more info once I know for definite that this is a goer !

Chav, 

You know I think this is an first-rate idea as it will give the residents of Penhill Ward an chance to question, challenge and view the potential of the Penhill Ward candidates.

I don’t see why there should be any legal problems as ALL candidates will be invited and it will be up to them to engage, or not, in this residents meeting.

Challenging questions from the public are always a test for politicians and it’s easy to see, regardless of whether you like the answer or not, whether their answers are coming from the heart or are just party political spin.

I for one will be there and I just hope all the candidates attend although, I have been told that one party leader has already instructed one of the selected candidates not to be involved. Hopefully there will be a U-turn on this.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2010, 08:22:52 PM »

Can TSTV come and film this? I think it will be good for peeps not at the meeting to see some of the discussion online.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2010, 08:40:30 PM »

Can TSTV come and film this? I think it will be good for peeps not at the meeting to see some of the discussion online.

Oh most definitely Geoff,
I think we must engage with the peeps using what ever media format we can, I could then put the link to the videos on the Penhill News website, so those residents who are unable to attend for whatever reason can then see for themselves what's going on.
It will also be broadcast via Penhill Voice - Swindon community radio 105.5, I am also hoping to take photo's/get people to submit photo's to Penhill News.

I am quite excited about this, as I feel it will be a valuable exercise in 'how to get people involved' and engaged, and to understand the role of a Councillor etc.

It will be interesting to say the least, plus it will give the candidates a chance to meet their public too  :)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2010, 08:46:18 PM »
 Well:
I have been told that one party leader has already instructed one of the selected candidates not to be involved. Hopefully there will be a U-turn on this.

I cannot understand why they would not want to be involved, as part of being a Councillor would be to attend meetings and engage with the residents in their ward.

However, It's personal choice, and if they choose not to, then I respect that.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2010, 10:04:29 PM »
Chav

It is down to the individual and anyway whatever happens I am sure it will be interesting for the public. So well done for working on this. ))))
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2010, 12:04:48 AM »
I cannot understand why they would not want to be involved, as part of being a Councillor would be to attend meetings and engage with the residents in their ward.

However, It's personal choice, and if they choose not to, then I respect that.
And if they choose not to, the electorate will have a view based on that choice... and I doubt it would be favourable.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2010, 10:09:40 AM »
Poor old David Glaholm looks a bit lonely with his one vote.  Come on folks make his last few weeks a pleasant going away present.  After all he has been around almost as long as Penhill itself!!