Author Topic: A barbeque raided by The Police  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
A barbeque raided by The Police
« on: July 20, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »
England, my England, what have you become?

Police helicopter sent to 'rave'  - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8155441.stm

Andrew Poole said there was a barbecue to celebrate his birthday
Action to prevent an "illegal rave" in Devon last week has been defended by police, despite claims the event was merely an organised birthday barbecue.

Locals feared a rave was to take place at Sowton, near Exeter, on Saturday and called the police, who closed the event down. A force helicopter was deployed.

Andrew Poole, who was celebrating his 30th birthday, claimed police riot vans turned up before any music was played.

But police said it had been advertised on the internet as an all-night party.

Mr Poole, a coach driver from Sowton, said 15 family and friends had come to the event, where they were watched by a police helicopter for about 15 minutes.

What effectively the police did was come in and stop 15 people eating burgers

Andrew Poole
He said before they had turned on the music, four police cars and a riot van arrived and demanded the barbecue was shut down and everyone leave.

The event was closed down under section 63 of the Criminal justice and Public Order Act 1994.

"We were nowhere near anyone, we weren't even playing any music," he said.

"What effectively the police did was come in and stop 15 people eating burgers."

Devon and Cornwall police said the helicopter flew over the site as it returned from another task.

'Appropriate steps'

A police spokeswoman said the helicopter was deployed for less than 20 minutes at a cost of about £200.

"The decision to close down a rave or illegal music festival is not taken lightly," a police spokeswoman said.

"On this occasion, we were extremely concerned how the event had been advertised on the internet as an all-night party and it was therefore necessary to take the appropriate steps.

"Had it gone ahead, it is likely that far more of our resources would have been used to police the event and there would have been considerable disruption to neighbouring properties

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Bobby Bingo

Re: A barbeque raided by The Police
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 03:59:48 PM »
We keep complaining about the police being reactive and now when they are proactive we still complain!
Bobby

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 07:47:42 PM »
Hmmm...

There are some missing elements to this story which I'd need to know before making up my mind.

For example, where did this event take place? The article doesn't say whether it was in Mr Poole's (or his parents' or a friend's) garden, or in some field somewhere. If the former then the police were definitely out of order, if the latter then they may have some justification for their initial reaction. Only some justification mind you.

And then we have two conflicting statements...

Quote from: Mr Poole
What effectively the police did was come in and stop 15 people eating burgers

Quote from: anonymous police spokeswoman
Had it gone ahead, it is likely that far more of our resources would have been used to police the event and there would have been considerable disruption to neighbouring properties

I note there's no report of hundreds of would-be partygoers subsequently descending on the site looking for a party.

Quote from: BBC
The event was closed down under section 63 of the Criminal justice and Public Order Act 1994.

That would be the act that makes it illegal for two or more people to be in a place where music with repetitive beats is being played, wouldn't it? Caused quite a stir at the time, I seem to remember, although it's very selectively enforced. I guess section 63 can't be the bit which talks about repetitive beats though, if they hadn't started playing music at the point when the party was shut down.

Quote from: anonymous police spokeswoman
On this occasion, we were extremely concerned how the event had been advertised on the internet as an all-night party and it was therefore necessary to take the appropriate steps.

You mean Mr Poole created a Facebook event for it, describing it as an all-night party, and invited his Facebook friends? If he had done that, or similar, then the above statement would be true, albeit in a very economical manner.

Like I said, I don't have enough of the facts at hand to make an informed judgement, but I'm definitely leaning towards the idea that the response was way too heavy-handed.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 08:16:31 PM »
We keep complaining about the police being reactive and now when they are proactive we still complain!

... Please tell me that you're joking Bingo!  ))))
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »
Continuing the slightly humourous side discussion, I think it would be really tempting to do this to one of Anne Snelgrove's meetings   >:D  can you imagine how she'd react to be on the receiving end of her government's policing policies.    ;D

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 09:52:05 PM »
I do not think she has the ablity to react, bit spontaneous, might wander off message.

Anyway, £200 looked a bit cheap, obsessed as I am with all things helicopter a the moment, I had a quick mooch.

http://www.surrey.police.uk/foi/Surrey_Police_Helicopter_6315.pdf

All fluffy and helpful.

http://www.psni.police.uk/psni_helicopter.pdf

and bugger off.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:25:01 PM »
Like I said, I don't have enough of the facts at hand to make an informed judgement, but I'm definitely leaning towards the idea that the response was way too heavy-handed.

I heard a police spokeman being interviewed on the Today Programme about this. They said there had been complaints by neighbours and that the event on Facebook was viewable by anyone, not just those invited. I got the impression that this was not the first time Mr Poole an his neighbours had had a disagreement. Even so, it sounded heavy handed.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 11:14:24 AM »

I heard a police spokeman being interviewed on the Today Programme about this. They said there had been complaints by neighbours and that the event on Facebook was viewable by anyone, not just those invited. I got the impression that this was not the first time Mr Poole an his neighbours had had a disagreement. Even so, it sounded heavy handed.

I heard the same interview I think. Poole spoke first and then the Chief Constable of Devon and Cornwall responded.

I formed the impression that Poole was being slightly evasive about the amount of publicity he'd given his bash, (although that's subjective on my part), but the Chief Constable was definitely trying to play down the expense of such a disproportionate police reaction to less than 20 people huddling under a tree in the rain.

However, the Chief Constable did say there had been several complaints from villagers living close by, although it wasn't clear whether these were very recent, (e.g the same day), or previous complaints about prior events held in the same field.  He also claimed the helicopter was returning to base and the field in question just happened to be under its flight path.

Poole did say that he'd gained permission from the land owner, (I think he described the land owner as a friend actually), to hold his birthday bash there.   

The police reaction was definitely disproportionate to the size of the bash but this is direct result of badly drafted laws.

We should remember that assembling anywhere with the intention of having fun/protesting/reading out the names of war dead is potentially an antisocial/terrorist/seditionist act under a ZanuLabour Government.

I would add that something is very seriously wrong when local authorities and police forces interpret and apply laws in ways central government, (the original makers of the law), describe as 'silliness', yet nothing is done to limit how far this silliness goes.

I reckon each of us could think of half a dozen examples of 'silliness' within the Borough, how about being fined for leaving your bin lid slightly open?