Author Topic: Parking problems (Old Town)  (Read 20729 times)

Offline buckhysen

• Kev's Keyrings
Re: Parking problems (Old Town)
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »
Nice one Dave :)

Although judging by the fact that PG doesn't seem to read or respond to emails or letters I'll hold my breath on a reasonable answer from him.

If past council responses are anything to go by they'll more than likely pass the buck until they think it's forgotten about or they'll just fob us all off with the same sub-standard answers.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009, 10:57:18 PM »

Looks like your best upcoming opportunity to talk directly to the parking Tsar himself* who will be at the November CP2 West Cluster meeting, a.k.a West Swindon forum. Others affected by Peters Parking Tax have already signalled their intention to attend

At least the more informal style of these meetings means you will have the chance to ask questions and get some debate without all the imperialism and looking-down-noses you'll receive in a full meeting of the council.

If the councillor won't come to Mohammed, seek him out in his own burrow.....

* We should open a book on whether he'd respond to RP questions within a West Cluster meeting. I'd bet heavily on him avoiding answering directly but inviting RP'ers to a full council, (at which you will be severely disadvantaged), or a Central Cluster meeting for which he's not a cluster councillor.

Offline James

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 10:24:42 PM »
Nice one Woodsy!  O0

Let us know the content of those written responses!

Whats your view on this reponse?

5. Were costs for all patrols in RP zones before outside of RP enforcement hours excluded in RP cost base, since they cannot be out ticketing for RP offences?

5. The percentage of Civil Enforcement Officer time spent on enforcement of Residents Parking Zones is calculated in line with their time within each zone and accounts for the differing enforcement times within each zone.  It does not include enforcement outside of these zone restrictions.

I'm not sure I entirely trust that...

My pleasure.

Yes, this has always been the major sticking point on the whole subject.  The administration claims that non-RP enforcement on RP streets is about 5% of the time spent on those streets.  'Departmental overheads' aside, this is the only reason for the discrepency in the figures.

5%? They are having a laugh!
Anyone living in a RP Zone can see that that simply cannot be true.
Given that they start enforcement at 6.30, the first round must be almost all non-RP. Anything up to a third of the TOTAL time spent in RP zones. Plus you need to see the proportion of non-RP offences across the remainder of the available time.

I've looked through some of the accounts made available, and it is clear that no apportionment had been done for the income which would have enabled a proper estimate of the time spent to be made.

The estimate of 5% is poor, but may have been all they could do with the resources they had available at the time.
No excuse now.

James

ps I'm struggling to get on-line at the moment so won't be back for a while.
Good luck to Dave W...

Offline James

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2009, 10:47:51 AM »
Been a little quiet on this one for a few weeks.
Has Dave W got any more answers?
Has Peter G responded to anyone?
Has anyone else noticed fewer early morning patrols recently...?
Is everyone too distracted by the national news these days?

James.

Back on line, though struggling for time (as ever)...

Offline James

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2009, 10:22:37 AM »
Bump.

James

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2009, 05:48:41 PM »
Been a little quiet on this one for a few weeks.
Has Dave W got any more answers?
Has Peter G responded to anyone?
Has anyone else noticed fewer early morning patrols recently...?
Is everyone too distracted by the national news these days?

James.

Back on line, though struggling for time (as ever)...

Sorry for not spotting this.  I've been a bit side-tracked in the last month or so: buying my first house and sorting out that fact it needed 'updating' as the estate agents put it.

Absolutely no answers to the above questions since last time, so I'm posing them again tonight along with another one or two.

Will report back later.

Offline James

« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2009, 10:19:55 AM »
Dave,
I hope you were able to get some answers, or at least a promise of answers and a time to deliver...
I look forward to the post.

James

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2009, 11:51:47 PM »
Sorry James.

Councillor David Wood (Eastcott) has asked the Cabinet Member for Sustainability, Transport and Strategic Planning:

1. Could the Cabinet Member confirm why no written answers were provided to the questions he was unable to answer at the last Full Council? Specifically questions 3 follow-up, question 4 and question 7 follow-up.  Can a written response be provided for the present Council?

2. I understand that the idea of installing Pay & Display meters on the streets off Commercial Road has been shelved.  Can the Cabinet Member confirm this in writing, and confirm that these plans will not be revisited?

The Cabinet Member responded.

Thank you for your questions.  The omission in providing the written answers was an administrative oversight.

The answers are as follow for part one:

Question 3

In 2007/8 a review was completed of the whole car park account as part of a piece of work on Town Centre regeneration and the effect this would have on car park income within the borough. It was clear from this exercise that as costs were proportioned in line with income there was an inaccurate and disproportionate charge to Pay and Display car parks. A cross section of staff types were asked to provide a breakdown of the time spent  between the various car parking divisions [e.g. off street / on street and residents] and these data are now used to produce more accurate accounts breakdown for the different elements of the car park service. The data are reviewed on an annual basis and the proportion of time spent by each team on residents parking is still considered to be valid today, with approximately 30% of civil enforcement officer time spent on residents parking.

Question 4

Last year £180,708 of Parking Charge Notice income was from residents’ parking areas, which equates to 17.7% of the total income. The purpose of patrols in residents parking areas is to ensure residents’ parking bays are only being used by residents, which is indicated by resident parking badges.

Question 7

Regarding question 7 we are currently in the process of preparing the works order for the changes to road markings in Zone A, D & E to facilitate the proposed additional Resident's Parking Bays. I cannot at this time confirm when the works will commence or the programme of works, however, I hope to have the works order submitted to Swindon Commercial Services very shortly and all works should be complete within 6 weeks of issuing this order.

In response to question two may I draw the councillor’s attention to the following? Minute 33, pt 4 from the Cabinet Meeting on Wednesday 19 August 2009 confirms "that, in recognition of the impact on local residents, consideration of the proposal to implement shared use Pay & Display car parking bays in a number of central area streets off Commercial Road, Swindon, be deferred."

Supplementary Question from Councillor David Wood has asked the Cabinet Member for Sustainability, Transport & Strategic Planning:

"Can the Lead Member confirm there are Yellow Lines with potential to convert to Residents Parking Bays in Zone E which were not considered by Halcrow - as per correspondence between an officer and a resident, which the Lead Member was copied into on 22/9/09 - when the Halcrow brief was to identify every possible space in Zone E."

The Cabinet Member has responded:

Halcrow was tasked with identifying suitable and safe locations for additional Resident's Parking Bays. They have applied these criteria throughout all 3 zones and have identified the changes proposed in the traffic regulation order advertised in July 2008 in the undertaking of this work.

Quickly discovered this is not being as productive as it should be.

However for the first time in... some time... we have a 'Residents Parking Advisory Group' coming up.

It would be brilliant if they let people along to that.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »
Be even better they were residents that had to park.

Imagine that, be a bit like, I dunno, connecting with the community I suppose.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »
Be even better they were residents that had to park.

Imagine that, be a bit like, I dunno, connecting with the community I suppose.

O0

RP does seem to be the elephant in the room when it comes to Seepy!

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2009, 04:23:13 PM »

RP does seem to be the elephant in the room when it comes to Seepy!

Possibly soon to be joined by Parking Tax Pete's recent near-doubling of the basic rate of parking tax in some car parks.

Offline James

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2009, 07:01:45 PM »
Heard a few people muttering about the increase in town centre parking costs...

I'm quite interested in the "Residents Parking Advisory Group".
Any idea when it is likely to happen, and what I'd have to do to be allowed to join in?

James

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2009, 09:27:50 PM »
Get elected.

In a ward with no residents parking scheme.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »
Heard a few people muttering about the increase in town centre parking costs...

I'm quite interested in the "Residents Parking Advisory Group".
Any idea when it is likely to happen, and what I'd have to do to be allowed to join in?

James

It's on 19th of this month.  I did ask in the past and was told that members of the public were not allowed to attend  :-[

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2009, 09:57:47 PM »
Get elected.

;D

AndyH

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »
Get elected.

;D

:bash: I wouldn't smile too soon Dave, there's still parking issues in a lot of the older estates where the roads were never designed to take so many parked cars.....

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »
Get elected.

;D

:bash: I wouldn't smile too soon Dave, there's still parking issues in a lot of the older estates where the roads were never designed to take so many parked cars.....

I think Mart's comment was about the only person who actually has any say about Residents Parking as being from a ward without any.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2009, 08:23:42 PM »
You ain't as green as you are cabbage looking young fella.

I was indeed making a slightly obtuse reference to decision making by people whose electability (is that a word?) is unaffected by the, quite frankly, piratical nature of their decision making.

It is my firm opinion that if it had been his ward getting rogered (see what I did there, Pirate, Roger = Jolly Roger, oh do keep up) then a parking paradise such as none other would have been bestowed. An exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

Accountability, sadly lacking.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2009, 08:26:22 PM »
And another thing.

Find me an estate in Swindon older than Old Town.

Whoever built Old Town got value for money, my house is 130 years old and still, largely, habitable.

S'pect the Town Centre would be equally spiffy, if some gang of twats hadn't demolished it.

Over and out.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2011, 01:33:10 AM »
And another thing.

Find me an estate in Swindon older than Old Town.

Whoever built Old Town got value for money, my house is 130 years old and still, largely, habitable.

S'pect the Town Centre would be equally spiffy, if some gang of twats hadn't demolished it.

Over and out.

Would that be the Civic Gang led by non other than pull it down Perkins and build it Bluh? :2funny:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print