Author Topic: Parking problems (Old Town)  (Read 21003 times)

Offline buckhysen

• Kev's Keyrings
Re: Parking problems (Old Town)
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »

He has been silent for quite a while, hasn't he....

....So I think you should email Councillor Greenhalgh with a link to this thread:  PGreenhalgh@swindon.gov.uk

Geoff, I CC'd him TWO of my letters, both of which he ignored totally. Not even a reply to acknowledge either letter.
In fact EVERYONE on the list I sent the letter to ignored it except for Stan Pajak and Jon Brown. My personal view is because they just don't want to answer the questions because they know damn well they are in the wrong.

I personally think every single person who pays an annual fee for a resident parking ticket in Old Town should refuse to do so until things change. This would send the biggest message yet that residents are sick and tired of being ignored and brushed aside.
Unfortunately I very much doubt residents would do this. Most bitch and moan but very few actually stand up and do anything that would make our council/Government sit up and take notice.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »

Geoff, I CC'd him TWO of my letters, both of which he ignored totally. Not even a reply to acknowledge either letter.
In fact EVERYONE on the list I sent the letter to ignored it except for Stan Pajak and Jon Brown. My personal view is because they just don't want to answer the questions because they know damn well they are in the wrong.

I'm not surprised tbh.  I've had the same regarding 'big weekend' litter that was never cleared from SBC's 'secret carpark'.....and that's a minor irritant compared to the obfuscation and arse-covering panic that residents parking questions and FOI requests is causing.

I also imagine that CP2 is already being gleefully seen, by some, as a further insulating barrier between themselves and their activities, and those forced to pay for them.

Think on this: 

1. We already know how reluctant, (I'll be polite), Cllr Greenhalgh and his department have been to discuss, inform and engage over the residents parking issue. Despite using modern and direct methods of communication the response has been dissappointing. (being polite again).

2. Such responses to requests for information that have been received were dragged out of them via FOI requests.

So, if anyone dares to suggest that CP2 and it's 'clusters' will be instrumental, or even useful, in sorting out Peters Parking Tax the abortion that used to be known as Residents Parking, then I'd respectfully suggest that they are gazing wistfully up their own orifices and declaring: "Hey, I can definitely see sunshine up there!"

Mark my words.....

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 02:49:49 PM »
You will not get a reply from P.G. until he vacates the throne that Clarkson gave him!
Bobby

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 06:40:40 PM »
Should have plugged it in.

Let's face it, if it was a copper bottomed, cast iron bona fide calculation sbc would be kicking arse and gleffully pointing out what dunderheads people were.

The silence is indicative of their confidence.

Don't tell him your name Pike!

Shameful and embarassing to be represented by such people.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 06:41:25 PM »
Dunderheads being people who can't spell gleefully.

For instance.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 12:28:25 PM »

I bet you could spell 'tyres' for example, or even 'tires' if you were of American descent.....

.....but 'tyers', I found on Sunday evening, seems to be SBC's preferred spelling.  The frown I was wearing after being charged £8 to dispose of 4 tyres at Cheney Manor, was briefly replaced by a grimace and a cackle as I realised Wrens Mattocks Marmosets are now cash handlers.

Still, least I got a receipt eh? I expect if I employed some secret writing techniques from the  1965 'Boys Own' annual, I'll discover a secret message on it which says:

'Yoo bin robbd mayt'.

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 02:32:06 PM »
Dave - can you confirm that you'll be asking this question? And if you've asked it in private previously, can you ask it in a more public setting so that there's a chance Peter's peers can see and understand the issue?

Aye.  Meeting's next Thursday.

Offline James

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
Good luck DaveWood!

I hope Peter Greenhalgh is reading this stuff...Give him chance to respond properly when the questions are asked.

You could respond here PG, you have done before...

James

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 06:42:53 PM »
I hope Peter Greenhalgh is reading this stuff...Give him chance to respond properly when the questions are asked.

I notice in the members profile it says Peter Greenhalgh last active October 2008!  I am guessing this is when he last signed in and not when him and his council mates did anything active with regards to sorting out Residents parking!!

Offline James

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 06:39:47 PM »
Don't have to log on to know what's being discussed...

James

Offline buckhysen

• Kev's Keyrings
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 02:12:25 PM »
Just to let you know I sent him another letter (3rd one) in the week, and so far he's not acknowledged it.

Kind of goes to show just how much he and this council think of their residents and the problems we face with parking.
But then I never expect anything more from our council and haven't done since I was old enough to vote. And as yet they've not proved me wrong. I expect and know they are useless and in every single dealing I've ever had with them they've proven me right ;)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »
Bucky, my view is that what you're experiencing is a side effect of the political situation in Swindon.

Peter Greenhalgh, as a councillor elected by about 1100 in West Swindon, was appointed to that role by a man who was elected by 1300 people in Dorcan.  None of whom are affected by the residents parking scheme.  They have absolutely no accountability to the vast majority of the people in Swindon.  They have created their own little tin pot dictatorship and they will use everything in their armoury to protect it.  The best way of ridding our town of people like this will be to try and influence the elections in their own ward, which in itself seems to be an anti-democratic approach.

While you can't vote for Peter Greenhalgh and you can't vote against him but he has free rein to do what he wants to you and all the residents of parking zones, this situation will continue.

Politicians are quick to cite voter apathy as a reason for all the problems of the town, but it' not always the case, it's more a case of councillors that are in it for what they can get and have, at best, forgotten what drove them to stand in the first place.

When I referred to some councillors as opportunistic little cretins, one councillor objected and suggested that the tone was why councillors don't engage, but perhaps now he can see why the view at the grass roots is as it is.

I think Geoff made some very good points here about how the parties will bring about their own downfall and I think the lack of any engagement by the man we pay to engage with us is proof that what I said here is very much true.

Offline buckhysen

• Kev's Keyrings
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2009, 04:53:40 PM »
Sounds about right to me Alligator!

Well just to update you, he ignored my 3rd letter so I've re-sent it to him and will re-send it to him once a week until he sends me a reply. But do feel like I'm... :bash:

Also the notices I put up in my Road, along with letters placed on windscreens seems to have done the trick a little during the day. Noticed a few regular non resident cars have stopped parking up here. Although it is still terrible after about 5pm, when everyone and anyone parks up here.
Funny how there never seems to be parking officers putting fines on unless it's a resident parking outside of a residents zone  :censored: (Not through choice!)

Someone suggested I ring the council number to report illegally parked cars but to be honest I can't see them rushing round to put tickets on the odd car every time I ring. Not unless there's an entire street full and they can make a few quid  ;)

Offline James

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 12:19:14 AM »
Dave Wood,
Good luck for later. Hope there are some useful comments back.

James

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 07:29:58 AM »
Dave Wood,
Good luck for later. Hope there are some useful comments back.

James

Cheers.  I'll post up what responses I get tomorrow.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »
Thanks for the various questions from people on various topics.  Here is RP:

1. Can the Lead Member confirm when the Yellow Lines and Limited Waiting Bays in Residents’ Parking Zones D and E – as identified by Halcrow – will be converted to Permit Holder Bays?

1. The current programme for the completion of these works has not yet been set.  The process for implementing the works will take approximately 3 months and this includes the issue of the public notice, programming, procurement and implementation of the works.  It is therefore anticipated that they should be complete by October 2009.

2. What justification can the Lead Member offer for the plans to add a Pay and Display element to the streets off Commercial Road?  The original justification was that this would be good for residents and businesses, rather than being a revenue stream.  The Council’s consultation demonstrated that 100% of responding residents and businesses were opposed.  What is the justification?

2. The justification is to ensure that there is free flow short-term parking for the benefit of local businesses and to also ensure that spaces are available for residents in the evenings and overnight.

3. Can the Lead Member provide a detailed breakdown of how the 30% (of Civil Enforcement Officer time) figure for Residents’ Parking offences was arrived at? Can the Lead Member confirm the portion of CEO time spent on Residents Parking streets enforcing non-Residents Parking offences?

[A balance sheet was circulated in response to this]

Followup Question: I'm concerned that the question and answer seem to bear no relation to one another.

PG stated he would provide a written response.

4. Can the Lead Member confirm the proportion of tickets issued for non-Residents Parking offences on RP streets?

5. Were costs for all patrols in RP zones before outside of RP enforcement hours excluded in RP cost base, since they cannot be out ticketing for RP offences?

5. The percentage of Civil Enforcement Officer time spent on enforcement of Residents Parking Zones is calculated in line with their time within each zone and accounts for the differing enforcement times within each zone.  It does not include enforcement outside of these zone restrictions.

6. Can the Lead Member confirm if there are any plans to extend Residents Parking Zone A to Curtis Street?

6. There is no proposal at this time to extend Resident Parking Zone A to include Curtis Street

7. Can the Lead Member confirm if there are any plans to remove the double yellow lines at the bottom of Crombey Street, on the left as you approach Curtis Street?

7. There is no proposal at the current time to remove double yellow lines at the junction of Crombey Street and Curtis Street but there is a proposal to remove the yellow lines outside of numbers 56 to 63 Crombey Street and convert these to resident bays.  This proposed bay is set back approximately 60 metres from Crombey Street junction with Curtis Street

Follow-up question: Can the Lead Member confirm the timescale in which this will take place?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »

Good work Cllr Wood.

Meaning ?   

1. I don't know the answer

2. I know the answer but don't want to give it.

3. Ah, you're onto me. I do know the answer, and I know that you know it to, but I need more time to hide it again in a way which will take you months to unpick.

Take your pick....  :popcorn:

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2009, 12:49:42 PM »
Nice one Woodsy!  O0

Let us know the content of those written responses!

Whats your view on this reponse?

5. Were costs for all patrols in RP zones before outside of RP enforcement hours excluded in RP cost base, since they cannot be out ticketing for RP offences?

5. The percentage of Civil Enforcement Officer time spent on enforcement of Residents Parking Zones is calculated in line with their time within each zone and accounts for the differing enforcement times within each zone.  It does not include enforcement outside of these zone restrictions.

I'm not sure I entirely trust that...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2009, 05:02:50 PM »

Good work Cllr Wood.

Meaning ?   

1. I don't know the answer

2. I know the answer but don't want to give it.

3. Ah, you're onto me. I do know the answer, and I know that you know it to, but I need more time to hide it again in a way which will take you months to unpick.

Take your pick....  :popcorn:

Normally I'd go with #1, but I'm hearing some funny things at the moment.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 05:06:34 PM »
Nice one Woodsy!  O0

Let us know the content of those written responses!

Whats your view on this reponse?

5. The percentage of Civil Enforcement Officer time spent on enforcement of Residents Parking Zones is calculated in line with their time within each zone and accounts for the differing enforcement times within each zone.  It does not include enforcement outside of these zone restrictions.

I'm not sure I entirely trust that...

My pleasure.

Yes, this has always been the major sticking point on the whole subject.  The administration claims that non-RP enforcement on RP streets is about 5% of the time spent on those streets.  'Departmental overheads' aside, this is the only reason for the discrepency in the figures.