Author Topic: Boot sales blocking the cycle path  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Boot sales blocking the cycle path
« on: May 28, 2006, 09:38:11 PM »
As part of West Swindon's network of cycle routes, there is one which goes from the corner of Freshbrook, under a subway to the West Swindon Centre, through a corner of the Link Centre car park, and on to Westlea.

Every Sunday, a car boot sale sets up in the Link Centre car park, spreading out to cover the bit which forms part of the cycle route, and although the car boots and tables don't themselves block the thoroughfare, the mass of customers does a pretty effective job of it. They just don't seem to be aware that they're on a cycle route.

As if that wasn't bad enough, the last few weeks I've found someone's set up a table blocking most of the footpath leading back into Freshbrook.

Doesn't anyone police or regulate this event to make sure that it doesn't result in serious disruption to the life of the community? Or does the Public Order Act only relate to politically-motivated activities?

We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: Boot sales blocking the cycle path
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 11:26:57 PM »
 ;) ... and I though I was the forum grumpy old man!!

seriously though - I'm sure a quiet word in the ear of the organisers, hinting that you'd take things further - but only if required, would be more than enough to ensure that they managed things
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline johndoyle

• Bhi me Beidh me
    • 1st Westlea Scout Group
Re: Boot sales blocking the cycle path
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »
the organisers of the Link Car Book are :

http://www.mlpromotions.co.uk/aboutus.htm

Might be worthwhile contacting them.

The next West Swindon forum is scheduled for 10th July at the Link Centre. Might want to mention this to the local Councillors.

A mind is like a parachute - it works best when open. http://www.savecoate.org.uk/