Author Topic: I must be in the wrong job !  (Read 8059 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: I must be in the wrong job !
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 08:33:20 AM »
Geoff, I'll put a reply to this under the heading of connecting People. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Adina

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »
Hi Adina, Oh dear, there was me thinking you were a pretend person!  How is it with the litter problem then.  Don't your local Street Wardens help, then there is the One stop shop and Streetsmart thing?   

Well what can I say............................. !
Except that I am real as Clr Richard Jones   O0

The other thing is, is that people tell me that there are links to people who can help with various things in the 'Housing Matters' paper.
Well thats all good and well if you get it delivered in your area, neither myself or my neighbours do - some of us are residents and some of us are home owners, so I dont know why we dont get it !

Anyone else get it delivered ??????????????????
Adina feels informed about Council services and is working together with her friends and community to improve her local area.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2009, 06:46:23 PM »
Hi Adina,  Housing Matters is for tenants only - it's written by tenants for tenants and good luck to them. 
The Borough great hope for communicating with all residents is their 'Swindon News'.  For some reason our area doesn't get it. Every now and then we grumble about that and it sometimes gets delivered the next time then it stops again.  Practically everything they want to communicate to you goes in the Swindon News or on their web site - great if you can get to a Computer and know how to use it!.  There should be a computer you can use in your local library - if they haven't closed it.  Swindon News also tells you how wonderful they are, all the wonderful things they are going to do and how VIBRANT Swindon is - they use that word a lot!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »
The issue of the extent to which the third sector is being expected to take up the current funding slack is a pertinent one at the moment. It seems that there are lots of approaches being made 'to work in partnership' - approaches which always seem to, call me cynical, cooincide with funding cuts. I know its a difficuly ecenomic environment at the moment, but it would be nice to see some up-front honesty about the situation - and a position which doesn't smack of double standards; afterall, it appears that budget is available to fund The Big Weekend - as well as budget to cover councillors recently increased remuneration.

I'd always seen the thrid sector as working in support of front line services - but it's increasingly looking as though they are, in some cases, becoming the ONLY safety-net. Again, this might be as a result of cuts in central government funding - but is thats the case I do wish SBC would be clear and open about it. I'm certainly very uncomfortable when voluntary groups are used to provide a tick in a performance box for something which could or even ought to be funded through council budget. Its even worse when pleading poverty as a reason for cut-backs in services that monies seem to be 'discovered' for councillors pet schemes.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »
Given the way residents parking went from break-even since inception to £100k adrift when it became fiscally advantageous for SBC I wouldn't trust the b@stards to look after the tea kitty.

Double speak and bean counter jiggery pokery means allied with a much lower moral threshold than normal people means all levels of government can rely on volunteers to bail them out when they prefer to spend our money on other, more shiny trinkets and ideas. £50k canal research project anyone?

I don't think anyone really has the faintest idea how much money is slopping around in government, it depends entirely on the view of the last accountant that checked, just so long as there is enough to cover allowances and pet projects it's all bollocks and bullshit on spreadsheets. Anything left over can go on mineral water for meetings.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 01:20:57 PM »
You forgot to include the sandwiches Mart.
I would like to know just how much we paid Capita and Halcrow during the past financial year. Any ideas anyone?
Bobby

Offline Muggins

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2009, 02:55:22 PM »
I'm no expert in this but it seems to me that the Government recognised that the voluntary sector could give a better service with less overheads and more deevotion to duty than the statutory organisations, so wanted the sector to be more supported to do just that. As usual it seems to have all gone pear shaped, because the statutory orgs don't want to fund voluntary orgs to do it, neither and more importantly, do they want to hand over any power to the voluntary sector to enable them to do it better. By the time they started talking about 'commisioning' the vol and com groups were in such a low position financially and in numbers, with wadges more bureacracy to cope with, that they really were not in much a position to bid for said commissioning. That's why we see things like Age Concern and Well Women's Centre going under - at a time when they should have been better than ever.

Whilst we are feeling so undervalued less and less people are getting engaged to be volunteers - except those dragooned through thier work place. 

Offline Adina

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 08:59:07 PM »
Connecting People, Connecting Places is coming up at the Cabinet meeting on Wednesday - heres the link to the paperwork

http://ww2.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListDocuments.asp?CId=285&MId=3448&J=1

Take look at the Adina Case study - it could be me 20 years ago, now I've done all they hope Adina will do in the next five, they don't want to know.  The 'reward' for Adina turning up at meetings and following things through will be that she will be ignored.   

At least it's cheered me up no end.

Oh my..........................

This is all about me  :-[

Oh my , I am back after 2 years.
Oh how things have changed.

Hello everyone, I see I have a lot of reading up to do  :D :D
Adina feels informed about Council services and is working together with her friends and community to improve her local area.

Ringer

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 09:02:56 PM »
Adina

It's good to see you return to TS, but what has changed?

Offline Adina

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 09:26:07 PM »
Adina

It's good to see you return to TS, but what has changed?
Well there is no more talk of connecting people connecting places any more and what with these ward boundry changes in pending, I dunno whether I am coming or going like!  It all seems so up in the air like a brides nighty at the moment.
I mean I could end up with a different cllr than I am used to.
There will probably only be the one to go around too, so the impact on that will be that he may well be overwhelmed the case work which will never get done. I think they got the old map thing wrong too.

What they trying to do eh?  Playing dot to dot!  Or are they taking cpcp to another level.
Maybe less cllrs less allowance to pay out.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »
I don't know about CPCP Adina, it's still appearing on headed paper and the odd web site every now and then. 

Are you feeling more 'connected' in your neck of the woods?