Author Topic: Swindon Green Drinks  (Read 4841 times)

Offline jenni_miles

Swindon Green Drinks
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:21:03 PM »
The first Swindon Green Drinks is took place on Tuesday 3rd February at The Savoy pub in Regents Circus. :)

Green Drinks is a relaxed new way to meet people who are interested in the environment in a friendly, social setting. There’s no agenda, no pressure, just a bunch of people gathering in the pub each month to talk about the planet. We guarantee a warm welcome to everyone.

All you need to do is come to The Savoy on the first Tuesday of the month from 7pm and look for the table with the Green Drinks sign. Or see:
http://www.swindongreens.org.uk/greendrinks.htm for more details.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Swindon Green Drinks
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 12:35:09 AM »

Not a committed green myself, but like the idea....

Btw, where do Greens stand on carbonated drinks ?  ;)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 09:21:08 AM »
I can personally recommend lager and creme de menthe.

It has a saucy bouquet hinting as it does of liniment and rubbing balms, the taste is refreshing retaining the metallic, chemical tang of the lager but with, this'll come as a surprise, minty overtones. If you do not finish your pint it makes an excellent mouthwash the morning after (remove fag butts first).

I think it should be your signature tipple.

I'm interested in the planet, but I'm pretty mercenary about it. I have an open fire, and unused fireplace in my living room (where the quite stunningly inefficient backboiler used to live) I'd love a woodburner, cheapish to buy but a complete sod to fit as per the book, I read the DIY instructions to skim a few bob, but prancing around on the roof removing chimneys gets my pulse racing in an unhealthy way. I could probably get matching gas fires for the same price. I will end up slinging in another open fire, I will be a little less dependent on the Russkies but 80% of my heat will continue to whip up the chimney.

They still flog the beasts with the water heating facility, I was brung up with one of them, missus doesn't seem keen. I'd happily live that way again.

I fancy solar panels but they are too sodding expensive, ditto turbine and as I am some way from running water water power is out, well unless I fit a water wheel in the bath, but I'm on a meter.

I love all that thermal insulation wizardry, I run all energy saving bulbs, got a boiler that's cleverer (yeah, I know) than me, finally got the whole house double glazed and I have a clever box thingy that tell's us how much electric we are using. We call it 'You Bastard Thing' when the energy savers finally give enough illumination to read it.

I'm up for an allotment, I will be 157 years old by the time I finally get it, but hey ho.

So, I am gently inclined and what I would be interested in, I think, is practical advice for the working joe on how to get greener without it being an expensive affectation and in such a way that it can be accomodated into the joyous work schedule (mind you, that may change) and other nonsense that makes up modern life.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:59:12 AM »
Vodka, tonic and creme de methe is the real deal.
Quite a happy, pure green. Add lager and you add murk.

Heinz once marketed Green Ketchup - it was murky, they must have added lager now I come to think of it.

I see B&Q have taken wind turbines off their shelves; I congratulate my self on being a late adopter.

Offline James

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 12:42:59 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me too.

My favourite green drink (in my student days) was lager & blue bols.
Looked like Fairy Liquid.
Yum.

James

Offline ford

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 02:41:14 PM »
Melon liquer is my green beverage of choice.

Add a moderate amount to a scandalous volume of tequila and your off.
I suppose if quantity is important then the fairy liquid drink would do it, but a blue ingredient is resonant of a Tory incursion.

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
Melon liquer tastes like jelly babies, you cannot give it gravitas by adding tequila, which I grant you is a fair fine drink.
Creme de menthe as far as I can tell was designed only for the allure of its' hue and should be used as often as possible to save it from an Icelandic fate.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 06:36:38 PM »
Ahhhh double vodka, redbull, creme de methe with a hint of cherry B in a tall glass,
complete with recylable paper brolly and a cherry ............... Bloody lovely, after a few of those, I usually turn very green !

But on the serious side, I think the 'Swindon Green Drinks' thingy is a fab idea  O0

Chav
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 06:50:17 PM »
I joined the first green drinks session on Tuesday, and ought to stress that it's not compulsory for everyone to consume drinks that are coloured green (although I did notice a tendency towards locally brewed ales). But in the spirit of the thread...

Fuzzy (or is it furry?) Green Monster.... vodka, orange juice and blue curaco. Very nice. I wonder if the Savoy would make me one on request?

Not a committed green myself, but like the idea....

You don't need to be a committed green to come along, just interested in discussing things.

So, I am gently inclined and what I would be interested in, I think, is practical advice for the working joe on how to get greener without it being an expensive affectation and in such a way that it can be accomodated into the joyous work schedule (mind you, that may change) and other nonsense that makes up modern life.

I'm sure you could find a bit of that too.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Right then, Chocolate Bols and Malibu = Bounty, I can also report I find nothing to recommend scotch and tomato juice, with, or without Worcester sauce. Barley wine and grapefruit is a bit iffy as well. Oh, happy days.

Wondering if the lager would work with the orange juice and blue curucao.

When I get my allotment I am thinking of putting some formwork in and planting rice.

Can anyone do me a turbine for £30? Solar panel for £10 or a poxy energy saving bulb that comes with illumination?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »
Hi Simon, as you are going to the green drinks and I doubt I shall ever get there for my usual half a shandy, can you tell them that Penhill Orchard has won the Sustainibility South West ' 2009 Planting Places Award'.

Whilst Mart is waiting for his allotment - (and why are they building on allotments whilst people are waiting for them) he can always join the group for some light pruning and Blackcurrant bashing on Saturday mornings 10 am to 12 noon. 

Isn't there any grants for individuals who want to install turbines, panels etc.,  Just wait a couple of years and everyone will be having a turbine up next to their satellite dish. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »
The lesser known milliband twonk has made some trumpeting noises about the government diverting gazillions into helping us make our houses more energy efficient.

I saw somewhere else that the gazillions were being diverted from the 'War on Drugs'.

I did once ring up the number regarding insulation grants, I received an sbc type response, i.e. sweet bugger all.

Apparently I am a major problem for the government cos I live in a Victorian and I can't have me walls insulated, I expect to pay extra council tax, or some sort of envirolentilsandalwearer tax.

Seems to me that the not a one eyed scottish idiot would have scored well if he had let a bank gently subside, or not sold our gold, not buggered around with NHS super computer systems, banned bonuses, banned mp's expenses and possessed an intellect marginally better than a rocking horse and invested a few gazillion in manufacturing and installing turbines and solar panels he could have been onto a bit of a winner, we could have muscled our way into a market that is only going to grow.

I don't expect anything for nothing, it's just that being of a greenish hue seems to either cost time, or money, then you have a government that claims all things green are smashing, then does sweet f*ck all except invent taxes, quangoes and ministerial posts. Check their airmiles for last year, you'll see what I mean.

Tossers.

Oooh, blackcurrant bashing, sounds like a Tarantino Ribena advert, didn't even know you had an orchard, congrats on the award, but be careful some self abuser from sbc doesn't decide to hack it down cos falling fruits pose serious h&s risks.

Building on allotments, why? That's an easy one. They're hypocritical tossers.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 07:47:25 PM »
Seems to me that the not a one eyed scottish idiot would have scored well if he had let a bank gently subside, or not sold our gold, not buggered around with NHS super computer systems, banned bonuses, banned mp's expenses and possessed an intellect marginally better than a rocking horse and invested a few gazillion in manufacturing and installing turbines and solar panels he could have been onto a bit of a winner, we could have muscled our way into a market that is only going to grow.

I don't expect anything for nothing, it's just that being of a greenish hue seems to either cost time, or money, then you have a government that claims all things green are smashing, then does sweet f*ck all except invent taxes, quangoes and ministerial posts. Check their airmiles for last year, you'll see what I mean.

I'm going to surprise everyone now and agree with you for once Mart. It's not to late for the government to start now though - think of all those car factories (such as our own Honda) shutting down or switching to short-time working. Imagine if, instead of propping up failed banks and buying toxic debt, the government put that money into re-tooling the car factories to manufacture things like solar panels on a scale which would make them affordable for the ordinary person in the street, and to create the infrastructure we need to harness our country's renewable energy potential. A win-win situation - the Honda workers get to keep their jobs (and likewise the employees of the smaller companies which supply them, if they look sharp and switch quickly to supplying the parts and materials needed by the new manufacturing process), and we get to lead the way in tackling climate change too  ))))

Shame about the government's tendency to put a greenwash onto everything they do, regardless of its actual effect on our planet.  :tickedoff:

Yes, being green inevitably costs time, money, effort, or all three, but I bet you'd be surprised at some of the quick wins you could get with relatively little investment. I'd recommend reading "Diary of a Reluctant Green" by Richard Hallows - an ordinary family guy, not an environmentalist, spending a year trying to improve his environmental credentials, and managing to save himself quite a lot of money in the process. The book is his diary of that year.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 08:21:54 PM »
If you are agreeing with me I retract immediately.

Quite unsettlingly we do seem to be of a mind.

I agree with the Head Cheese Eating Surrender Monkey, he says we no longer have a manufacturing base of the scale we need to build our way out of the hole that was dug with financial jiggery pokery. Head Monkey says he is going to spend big, but he is plowing it all into infrastructure. There is every chance that those remarks were driven by animosity but I think he is bang on. Be interesting to see how many British workers he employs on those projects.

Solar panels, wind turbines are just the things I know of, there's them heat exchanger things where you stick pipes in the ground and by magic they heat your house, smart meters, different insulation materials there's loads of things already in existence, that's before you get into R&D.

Nokia used to be into paper mills and rubber, it's a big old step to phones even over several decades but they made it, why this government hasn't clocked the potential of getting what's left of our industry to throw a similar body swerve, and why it isn't determinedly forcing that industry to expand I will never know.

With sufficient backing we could get to the stage where the green versions of goods compete with the 'grubby' version on the shelf on equal terms regarding efficiency and cost, because that is what will compel materialistic oafs like me to buy, winner all round.

Or instead, we could shovel friggin billions down the same black hole that the previous friggin billions disappeared into, then feign surprise when we learn that the money  / black hole interface operators are on a bonus for exceptional shovelling abilities.

But that would mean admitting error, and our visually impaired celtic buffoon doesn't do that, his pride comes before a nation's fall.

I'll keep an eye out for the book

Offline flitchstan

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »
Which Green drink is using by most of the people in USA these days? I want the survey report telling the total number of people using drinks.

Administrator Comment spam link knobbled
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:36:34 AM by Dougal »