Author Topic: Swindon's Culture: Where is it, what is it and who's responsible for it?  (Read 24129 times)

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
Kecl, Richard

I have also heard that K. Williams who is on the Lydiard Management Board has confirmed with other parties that the event will not now be taking place. ;

Oh, any idea why?

Seemed like a good idea to me, and would also help connect people!

Wonder if they spent much dosh on preparing for it last year?

Hey Keith instead of trying to out me why don't you reply to the above?

Offline swindonlinkman

• The best read publication in town
Using the picture of Rikki Hunt in their very latest 'Good News' press release, on top of the prospect of decent bun fights over the WiFi 'deal', SCS decoupling and the New, New Swindon Company as it tries to rise Phoenix like out of the still smouldering ashes of £7 million burned up by the Old New Swindon Company is an act of desperation publicity or political stupidity isn't it?

Let's not get carried away. To clarify, I posted the picture of Rikki and wife en-route to Lydiard's Big Weekend from my archives. It was NOT issued by SBC or anybody else.

Offline Provocateur

• Atchya like a ninja cat!
 :argh:

(content removed by request)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:57:38 AM by Ermintrude »

Offline swindonlinkman

I never said they had a freebie. Do you have evidence?

Offline Provocateur

• Atchya like a ninja cat!
OK - I retract that - maybe he got it through the lottery process then... I suppose the best thing is to simply ask the question: Did he get a freebie ticket - or did he apply like everyone else? (Does anyone recognise whether that lanyard is a standard one or a VIP freebie?)

Offline swindonlinkman

Lydiard summer event

[oversized attachment >100k deleted by admin]

Offline Tobes

• Regents
That looks very much more like the sort of event I'd like to see my tax money going into... I'm interested in keeping tabs with this (and seeing if I can get involved too)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline swindonlinkman

their site will tell you more or mail Steve on the hello@ address

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
You'll forgive me for assuming the piccie of Rikki Hunt was carried in the SBC press release, in the absence of anything to the contrary it was natural to link them no?

SBC's press press man, (Dick Freeman?), still refuses to add TS to it's press release email list so mistakes are going to occur when we're seeing stuff after other editors have added to/subtracted from the original release. 

Anyway, I said:

Using the picture of Rikki Hunt in their very latest 'Good News' press release, on top of the prospect of decent bun fights over the WiFi 'deal', SCS decoupling and the New, New Swindon Company as it tries to rise Phoenix like out of the still smouldering ashes of £7 million burned up by the Old New Swindon Company is an act of desperation publicity or political stupidity isn't it?

To which SLM replied:

Let's not get carried away. To clarify, I posted the picture of Rikki and wife en-route to Lydiard's Big Weekend from my archives. It was NOT issued by SBC or anybody else.

It's still an interesting picture which might make people wonder why, and how, VIP passes were to be seen dangling from Rod Bluhs mates.

I can shed a little lamplight on this. Hat-Tip to Lamplighter Oaktree  :)

Just prior to the R1BW Cll'r Phil Young told the Tory group:

If you would like to be considered for receiving a ticket, could you please email me direct on pyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk and please state if you have a preference for which day you would like a ticket for.  I am asking that people play a corporate role at the event as we will have a number of invited guests there and the opportunity to promote Swindon as a town with a thriving music and cultural scene and the ability to host such events here on an ongoing basis.

Fair enough.

After the event, the Labour group had a good dig at the Tory group in the adver, in which Cll'r Young was quoted as saying:

Coun Young said another 30 VIP tickets went to people described as “cultural movers and shakers” and business people who had done a lot for the town.

So that explains how Rikki Hunt received two VIP passes to the R1BW, him and his partner/wife/friend are 'cultural movers and shakers'  :o

There is one last fly in the R1BW ointment though, Cll'r Young had also said:

We simply do not have the capacity to invite partners, children, friends, etc so these tickets will be given singly for you and you alone.

With the benefit of hindsight, is he still sure about that?  :popcorn:

Offline swindonlinkman

One shouldn't assume anything about anything unless there is a specific attribution

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

One shouldn't assume anything about anything unless there is a specific attribution

No good saying that when your piece started with:

Press release received today from Swindon Borough Council:
Swindon is the ideal haven for culture vultures

Went on to reproduce the the press release, and then finished up with:

Happy Big Weekend festival goers below:

What should we reasonably assume?

Offline swindonlinkman

You should not have assumed that the SBC press release was issued with a photograph. At the same time I did not make this absolutely clear by adding an attribution to the image

Offline Tobes

• Regents
... Though it was (either way) under the circumstances, a very interesting and pertinent choice of photo!  ;)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline swindonlinkman

I couldn't possibly comment

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
I couldn't possibly comment

I know someone else who says THAT!!

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
Why doesn't Rikki Hunt just put himself up for election, oh wait a second he might noy be voted in.....

better just to brown nose / freeload your way into SBC and every penny you can make out of it
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:32:01 PM by Dougal »
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Richard Shaw

• Hello !
Why doesn't Rikki Hunt just put himself up for election, oh wait a second he might noy be voted in.....

better just to brown nose / freeload your way into SBC and every penny you can make out of it

He would probably get the lowest vote in the town!!

Anyway he doesn't need to does he?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 03:32:18 PM by Dougal »

Offline Swindon Viewpoint

• Hello !
You can find a great condensation of Swindon's culture over the years on www.swindonviewpoint.com

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Sod off.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline swindonlinkman

Sod off.
Where does that come from?