Author Topic: Inane Gibberings of the Highest Order  (Read 684 times)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Inane Gibberings of the Highest Order
« on: January 02, 2009, 11:12:39 AM »
The flame haired one has been uttering again, and she won't like my reaction. I may be gone for some time one day.

White working class people on some estates feel their concerns about immigration are ignored, Communities Secretary Hazel Blears has said.

No shit.

She told the BBC politicians had to make a greater effort to challenge "myths" spread by the far right. A report suggests many white people living on estates in England feel the government has abandoned them.

A government myth being far more acceptable? I have to also say that I am in two minds whether this sense of abandonment is exclusive to people 'living on estates'. 'Living people' is possibly more accurate.

The study involved interviews of 43 people in Birmingham, Milton Keynes, Norfolk and Cheshire.The interviews took place on four, predominantly white, housing estates and found people felt a sense of resentment, unfairness and betrayal.

Eh? 43 people from 4 estates is enough to galvanise Ms Blears, I am stunned. I am also intrigued as to her planned response to the thousands (millions?) of people who feel a sense of resentment on ID cards, EU treatys, Iraq, Afghanistan, fox hunting, capital punishment and gordnon's continued employment as Prime Mentalist. Perhaps you have to 'live on an estate' to be taken seriously?

The report said a lack of discussion about concerns had created an atmosphere where rumours spread by the far-right were soon believed to be true.

I would assess it more accurately as suppression of discussion.

Ms Blears told the BBC the research showed it was important to get the debate out in the open, to stop the far right from "peddling myths" such as suggestions that immigrants got priority in social housing.

Because the facts are? Oh.

People told us that they feel they can't say, talk about the things really bother them for fear of being accused of being racist

Yup, doesn't mean I'm not though does it? Doesn't mean I am though. Perhaps I'm not, but I am being misled by myths.

"The vast majority of people who come to this country have to go into the private rented sector, they don't get council housing" she said. "There are an awful lot of myths about that people can come into this country, they can get a council house, they get grants for thousands of pounds - a lot of that is simply not true." But she said, in some parts of the country housing allocation policies were "not as transparent as they should be" and politicians had to be "visible" to address the issues.

So it isn't true, but in some places it might be. Cleared it up for me Ms Blears and no mistake.

The report found it was on matters of housing allocation, that white people felt they were most discriminated against. Facts which it also highlighted included:

• There was a link between deprivation and apparent hostility to minorities. People who have the least are more likely to be afraid of things being taken away from them

10p tax anyone, anyway I thought gordnon had eradicated deprivation. I think I am feeling an apparent hostility merself at this very moment.

i]• Few of the people questioned had regular contact with ethnic minorities [/i]

Not like Ms Blears presumably who would never pass up a chance to gurn for the camera with a tame ethnic minority.

• People did not understand integration and thought it was about migrants becoming "like us"

Perfectly correct in my view, it's the surest way of us absorbing 'them' and their influences. I don't like mosques on the skyline, but I do like these deli's and things popping up here and there. I don't like the prevailing language I can hear being 'foreign', I do like English with an accent. I wonder if it is the case that government does not understand the peoples' view of integration. We don't understand, bless our woolly little heads.

• Respondents found it difficult to talk about their concerns openly for fear of offending or being criticised as racist Tracey Phillips, a member of the National Community Forum, oversaw the report. She told the BBC: "People told us that they feel they can't say, talk about the things that really bother them for fear of being accused of being racist and that political correction stops any kind of discussions. "And as a result of that, myths build up and stories come about about how resources are allocated and that's where we get stories about queue jumping and people don't understand what's really happening."

So the local authorities clamouring for additional resources are Nazi's? The fact that government underestimated the figures for the influx by a factor of gazillions is not relevant, the problem is that we are ill informed thickies. You are all thick or facists.

In areas which have seen regeneration, people felt less resentful, she said.

We are sorted then.

In a statement she said some white working-class people living on estates "sometimes just don't feel anyone is listening or speaking up for them". "Whilst they might not be experiencing the direct impact of migration, their fear of it is acute."

Wonder what the breakdown of authority and MP is by party?

Communities ministers are to hold a seminar with other government departments, councils already tackling this issue and leading academics.

Seminar with government, councils and leading academics. Mmmm, but not 43 people living on estates or indeed, Joe Average. Doomed to failure then.

Except we are thick Nazis if we think it fails, so it will succeed.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.