Author Topic: John Marjoram, the only Green Party Mayor, talk: Tuesday 25/11/08  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Jenni Miles

• Swindon Greens
Tuesday 25/11/08, 8pm, Central Community Centre, Emlyn Square, SN1 5BN
http://www.multimap.com/maps/?zoom=16&countryCode=GB&qs=SN15BN
Non-members welcome. Refreshments available.
Contact jenni@swindongreens.org.uk for details

Jenni Miles Green Party Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Swindon, South. *Link Removed* *Link Removed* htt

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
Re: John Marjoram, the only Green Party Mayor, talk: Tuesday 25/11/08
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 06:21:15 PM »
Is there any chance that you elaborate on this talk?

The heading isn't really helpful in terms of letting people know why they would be interested in hearing what this guy has to say or why he is coming to Swindon

Should I assume, by the fact that you've posted this on a thread about elected mayors, that John is an elected mayor? 

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:37:05 PM »
I presume this is the guy: http://www.glosgreenparty.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1798&Itemid=123

16th May 2007

Cllr John Marjoram returned to the helm at Stroud Town Council at the annual general meeting on Monday and outlined his personal green agenda for the next four years. John Marjoram has been dubbed the "listening mayor" after his pledge to be available to the public at least one hour a week. Below he sets out a green vision for the future - starting with making the town a "no plastic bag zone."

John Marjoram said: "My objective is to look at climate change. I would maintain that every community in the world has got to start add-ressing this."His seven-point personal plan included the key proposal to work towards making Stroud a "no plastic bag zone"."With the help of the business community I want to make Stroud a no plastic bag zone. We have got to take a stand on this. People historically always carried a bag over their shoulder. We will talk to businesses on this."

Coun Marjoram also said he would become the "listening mayor". Every Thursday, starting in June, he will sit on the bench in Kendrick Street from 11.30am to 12.30pm to listen to the concerns of the public."

Other proposals include the introduction of core delivery times in the High Street, so that it becomes fully pedestrianised, and introducing facilities for cardboard recycling. Fully supporting the “Transition Stroud” movement in cutting Co2 emissions, introducing a Mayors reception (latter in the year) for “Movers, Shakers and Initiators” and Circular billboards in the Town Centre.

Cllr Marjoram presides over a Green party majority on the STC after the Green's increased representation by two seats to take 11 of the 18 town council seats at the May 3 election. He was elected unopposed as Mayor, taking over from fellow Green councillor, Kevin Cranston.

John Marjoram said: "This is not a Blair/Brown situation but genuine partnership between myself and Kevin."

Stroud Town Council has eighteen members, eleven of whom are Greens, five Independents, one Lib Dem and one Tory. John Marjoram was previously the town's mayor from 1997 to 2004.

Should I assume, by the fact that you've posted this on a thread about elected mayors, that John is an elected mayor? 

He doesn't seem to be, at least not elected by the public anyway: http://www.stroudtown.gov.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=58&Itemid=42

Councillor John Marjoram has been re-elected as the town's Mayor. At the annual meeting of the council on Monday May 12th, John said he was 'honoured' after being re-elected by a clear majority of members. However he told the meeting that this 'would probably be my last year'.

Sounds like he was elected by the members of the council.

But regardless, I think I'll go along to hear what he has to say.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:39:27 PM »
Marjoram, Green.

Very good.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.