Author Topic: Adver Referendum/Elected Mayor Online Poll Now Open  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Adver Referendum/Elected Mayor Online Poll Now Open
« on: October 07, 2008, 12:12:34 AM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/ballots/

I think the advers polling system is not quite as sophisticated as either Talkswindon polls or the Talkswindon survey engine....

...I think the adver system is designed for asking a single question with two possible answers.  The Referendum/Elected Mayor poll asks two questions, and each has a yes/no answer.

This means, (I think), that each pair of answers can only total 50% of the total vote.

Ergo: The results at 00:15hrs on the 7th of October are:

Yes, I want a referendum: 40%     corrected figure is actually 80%

No, I do not want a referendum: 10%    corrected figure is actually 20%

In a referendum, I would vote for an elected mayor: 30%    corrected figure is actually 60%

In a referendum, I would vote against an elected mayor: 20%     corrected figure is actually 40%

The paper poll starts next week I think.

I'm not sure how the Adver webbies will invigilate the poll exactly.....e.g, there will be three votes coming from from the same i.p address: myself, Tig and the Mellon.  How will the webbies differentiate between 3 genuine votes and 3 votes from someone determined to influence the poll ?

construct

Re: Adver Referendum/Elected Mayor Online Poll Now Open
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »
I think the adver system is designed for asking a single question with two possible answers.  The Referendum/Elected Mayor poll asks two questions, and each has a yes/no answer.

This means, (I think), that each pair of answers can only total 50% of the total vote.

Good point.

Is there any chance the adver can also post the number of people who have voted and their current unique hits per day as this would give us a true indication of the interest in the elected mayor principle.

I guess they probably wouldn't give us the unique hit rate for commercial reasons :) but there is no reason why they can't say how many people have voted ?

let's have some openess from the adver for once ....../not holding breath !

Offline Buster

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 11:54:04 AM »
I think some openness on the poll would be good, but you have to remember that it is just a poll, it's nothing compared to a referendum of the people.

I think the issue of an elected leader for Swindon Council has been shrouded in some secrecy for many years and I think the Adver deserve full credit for helping to bring this issue into the view of the people....I just wish a few councillors could be as open when it comes to publically sharing their views on what happened in September 2001......on this point, I'm not holding my breath. 

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:20:55 PM »
Is there any chance the adver can also post the number of people who have voted and their current unique hits per day as this would give us a true indication of the interest in the elected mayor principle.

A little experiment suggests that the number of votes so far is rather small, about 20 votes in total, in that three consecutive votes changed the 'no' percentage for the first question from 14% to 19%.

I'm not sure how the Adver webbies will invigilate the poll exactly.....

Seemingly not at all. There's not even cookies being set to prevent multiple votes in one browser session. :-X I suspect this poll may end up in similar disrepute to their Lower Shaw Farm poll.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:44:38 PM »

I made enquiries yesterday and received a surprised response that the poll was even online. It's a week early apparently.

I think it might be wise, in the absence of any detailed explanation of methodology, to treat the online poll as a bit of fun.  I understand that although multiple voting is possible, (to allow several members of the same family to vote), checks will be made on i.p addresses and ranges to pick up unusually large numbers of votes from the same i.p address.

Of course this won't affect users without static i.p addresses or those with access to various pc's with differing i.p's. With no email registration & verification being used it will *probably* be open to abuse. As I said, without a detailed explanation form the adver webbies we're operating in the dark....although it is possible we are actually more familiar with the technology than they are  :)

The paper poll might be interesting though, manipulating that would involve obtaining the adver in large numbers. I'm looking forward to the fun element of it, even though I won't place much store in the result, whatever it appears to show.

Still more interested in examining the 2001 issue at this point and I think it's premature to be polling without a thorough and informed debate, but at least it's raising the issue profile.