Author Topic: Swindon's First Elected Mayor: Hypothetical candidates  (Read 9730 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Hong Kong Fuey for Mayor?
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 11:41:28 PM »

He's not a dog, a cartoon character or even a janitor...

....but he is a multi millionaire and probably quite hard so I won't be taking the piss too much as he already knows where to find me.

Apart from Stan Pajak Matt Fiddes is the only other person to step up and say he's interested.

http://www.northdevongazette.co.uk/northdevongazette/news/story.aspx?brand=NDGOnline&category=news&tBrand=devon24&tCategory=newsndga&itemid=DEED20%20Oct%202008%2016%3A44%3A43%3A703

Offline Buster

Re: Swindon's First Elected Mayor: Hypothetical candidates
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 11:00:57 AM »

I'd like to see Karen Leakey stand for Mayor, assuming she's not too busy being queen of course    ;D
A no Bull Sh*t, say it how it is, councillor like Peter G would be good too.

Karen Leakey? The Tories will see her as 'theirs' to control.

Peter Greenhalgh?, absolutely not and I forbid any further discussion of him in this context.

I have been known to forget my principles when they conflict with the party line, so I am eminently qualified to detect this trait in others.  Is it not true that Peter G left the room rather than vote against the party line on installing a central cctv control room?

A clear case of putting party political allegiance over his previously well publicised principles. Swindons Rottweilller has reduced himself to a party poodle.  :(

Given recent events over the resident's parking and his plan to tax car owners in three wards, I agree with you about Peter Greenhalgh.  He probably wouldn't make a good mayor as he appears to survive politically on the basis of not being accountable to the people.

However I also think that Karen would make a good elected mayor, though I doubt the tories would be able to manipulate her as they would like.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 06:15:55 PM by Admin Team »

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »

Oh really?

I think not.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »

Oh really?

I think not.

I have decided to exercise my right to change my view on this one. (Do we still have this right, or has it been outlawed by the Home Office yet?)  I see this as a reminder, as it I really needed it, that party political fodder don't make good, accountable, politicians.  Proof that you have to measure a politician on their long term actions as it is only then that you see the real person behind the rosette.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 11:07:41 PM »

Oh really?

I think not.

Hmmm I think people skills, the ability to stay calm, and the ability to do a bit of active listenening
and the ability to communicate in a 'to the point', but tactful way would be a huge must !
Also honesty and reliability are must haves.
We need an elacted Mayor with approachability as well as accountability.

They would have to be a paragon of society and be free from dilettantish or tendentious tendencies during his/her term of office.
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.