Author Topic: Swindon's First Elected Mayor: Hypothetical candidates  (Read 15274 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Swindon's First Elected Mayor: Hypothetical candidates
« on: September 30, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »
As the Swindon Advertiser is going to be discussing Elected Mayors for the next couple of weeks, let's get a bit hypothetical....

Imagine:

It is late Autumn in the year 2009.

The 'An Elected Mayor For Swindon?' campaign had been successful. 

26,761 voters signed the online and paper petitions.

A local referendum was triggered which was held recently.

Swindons electorate have chosen an elected Mayor as being their preferred method of leadership.

Swindons first Mayoral election will occur during the local government elections in May 2010.

Q1: Who would you like to see standing as a Mayoral candidate in 2010, and why?

Q2: Who would you not like to see standing as a Mayoral candidate in 2010, and why not?

« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:37:31 PM by warlock »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Swindon's First Elected Mayor: Hypothetical candidates
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:28:58 PM »
Have given this some thought.

Mart

I would vote for Mart if he was a mayoral candidate.

Why?, easily answered by reading half a dozen of his posts.

Not a trace of weasel in any of them.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 10:33:44 PM »
Who would I not wish to see standing?

In particular: Cllr's Bawden, Martin, Glaholm and Small.

In general: Party political puppets, although it's a sure bet they'd be all over a mayoral election like a rash!

construct

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:28:25 AM »
Definitely not that weasley Stan Pajak - I would peg him along with Bawdem, wiltshire & Small as the worst possible characters to have running a town.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:36:19 AM »
I'd like to see Karen Leakey stand for Mayor, assuming she's not too busy being queen of course    ;D
A no Bull Sh*t, say it how it is, councillor like Peter G would be good too.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »
Aw shucks?

(What's the money like, is there a big motor?)

I reckon you need as close to an apolitical beast as you can get, not easy I wouldn't have thought.

Maybe exclude councillors altogether?

Someone who just want's to do the right thing regardless of what colour the rosette is and couldn't really give a sh*t what the whip says. (whip, dear me, grow up!)
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 07:04:18 PM »
It has got to be someone who is firm but fair,
People skills are a must.
Someone who isn't so far up his/her own arse they are almost inside out.
Someone who actually listens and does not have the 'its my way or no way attitude', as basically this person would just be a complete arsehole, and yes I have come across a few !

I recon Geoff , you would be a good candidate, or Mart.

Reasons why, well you both look at things with a certain perspective and I know your posts have me in stitches, but behind the humour
you both talk a lot of sense.
So maybe one of you could be up for Elected Mayor, and the other a deputy lol   :)

CHav  >:D >:D

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 07:25:30 PM »
I have it on good authority that, (surprisingly), I am in fact a complete arsehole.

I have always taken this to be a form of deep admiration and subsequently have pursued arseholedom with furious vigour.

I'm still mulling over the requirements, would a knowledge of 'the system' be desirable so you can work it, or would complete disdain be more effective?

Is party affiliation desirable, or would it immediately mark the candidate as compromised?

Do we want a gob on legs, or someone with experience of running a large corporation?

How much real power to implement change should the mayor have, or should we expect a neutured beast but with a winning smile?

Should we be allowed to elect livestock if none of the candidates appeal?

Is a mayor allowed to veto policy, or just wield a rubberstamp over a selection of bland party orientated cobblers?

Is a mayor allowed to graze their sheep on common land?

Can the mayor make life thoroughly miserable for non performing MP's?

Is anyone out there informed enough to write the job spec, but not part of the present apparatus?

Anyway, I am going to browse Eton Dave's speech for a while, see how it measures up against gordnon's (fair, fair, fair, turbulence, global, fair, fair, blah, blah, blah. Fair) Read Harriet's, so bland it is very difficult to take the p*ss out of, like a slippery flavourless bubble of a speech that does not want to be noticed, a child of 10 could have written it (milliband?)

I would look a bit of clegg' but I already wasted a vote (once) on a lib dem, I'm certainly not going to waste time as well. I'll just classify him as a buffoon and assume the speech confirms that. Reasoned analysis, as always.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 11:29:52 PM »
Somebody said the other day what a good job Robocop? did in Sunderland together with bloke who stood as Hangus the monkey in Hartlepool? I would like to see a mayor who is nationally high profile and would bring some positive feel good publicity.  This person should  not be stigmatised by party politics and could just knock heads together and apply some much needed common sense!  Someone like Allan Sugar or Sarah Palin be good!

The only high profile person who matches these criteria and associated with Swindon is Melinda Messenger!!

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 12:31:12 AM »
Definitely not that weasley Stan Pajak - I would peg him along with Bawdem, wiltshire & Small as the worst possible characters to have running a town.

Actually from what little I know of Stan Pajak, I think he's one of the few politicians in this town who is worthy of political office. Not sure whether he's qualified to be mayor, but I'd be willing to give him a chance.

I'd agree that Mike Bawden should never be mayor (oh bugger, he already has been  >:( )

Have given this some thought.

Mart

I would vote for Mart if he was a mayoral candidate.

Why?, easily answered by reading half a dozen of his posts.

Not a trace of weasel in any of them.

Mart comes up with some cracking posts, I'll give you that. But he seems too adverse to the ideas of the left to appeal to me. (Sorry Mart, I'm a lefty pinko anarchist tree hugger. And I won't be voting for you. Get over it :) )

I'd like to see Karen Leakey stand for Mayor, assuming she's not too busy being queen of course    ;D

Now there's an idea  O0
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Nan Smallgrope

• Nu Labour To The Core
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 04:05:28 AM »

I'd like to see Karen Leakey stand for Mayor, assuming she's not too busy being queen of course    ;D

Karen Leakey? The Tories will see her as 'theirs' to control.

Peter Greenhalgh?, absolutely not and I forbid any further discussion of him in this context.

I have been known to forget my principles when they conflict with the party line, so I am eminently qualified to detect this trait in others.  Is it not true that Peter G left the room rather than vote against the party line on installing a central cctv control room?

A clear case of putting party political allegiance over his previously well publicised principles. Swindons Rottweilller has reduced himself to a party poodle.  :(

Although he wouldn't last 5 minutes in my constituency, (Swinton), the current ceremonial Mayor of Swindon, Clowncillor Wakefield would make a reasonable first directly elected Mayor for the Borough.

Labour's Newest Member of Parliament: Nan Smallgrope MP      * Born 08.07.1957     * Tescos Clubcard Holder.     * Paid Up Member Of The Tufty Club  

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 09:12:14 AM »

Karen Leakey? The Tories will see her as 'theirs' to control.

Ha ha ha ...............pmp :2funny: f#ck me, I've never known anyone being able to control Karen.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »
KLFQFM.

Offline ZPW

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »
Somebody said the other day what a good job Robocop? did in Sunderland together with bloke who stood as Hangus the monkey in Hartlepool? I would like to see a mayor who is nationally high profile and would bring some positive feel good publicity.  This person should  not be stigmatised by party politics and could just knock heads together and apply some much needed common sense!  Someone like Allan Sugar or Sarah Palin be good!

The only high profile person who matches these criteria and associated with Swindon is Melinda Messenger!!

Sarah Palin..... someone like sarah palin in what way?

folksie?
lip-glossie?
beauty queenie?

melinda messenger.... high profile in what way?

who is this person anyway?
oh... a glamour model...
good choice, good choice....

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 12:54:39 PM »
Simon, probably right about my views on pinko liberal tree hugging soap dodging hand wringing wrong thinking hippies. I would probably move to have stocks reintroduced for them. (ooops, lentils, forgot lentils. Sandals as well)

It is the left(ish) who have made me an object of abuse for the last few years, so damn right I am averse to the pinko liberal etc (school oop north has just banned spelling tests, they distress the children, oh yes, illiteracy is so much more desirable!) to them, they have pissed me right off and continue to do so.

A few years of tory dogma sodding up my life will probably get me needle swinging 180 degrees though.

Offline ZPW

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2008, 04:12:11 PM »

Peter Greenhalgh?, absolutely not and I forbid any further discussion of him in this context.

I have been known to forget my principles when they conflict with the party line, so I am eminently qualified to detect this trait in others.  Is it not true that Peter G left the room rather than vote against the party line on installing a central cctv control room?

A clear case of putting party political allegiance over his previously well publicised principles. Swindons Rottweilller has reduced himself to a party poodle.  :(

I assume you are being willfully silly.
All party members vote in a block ( a bit like you do in Westminster... actually, Campaign Greoup excepted, exactly as you do in W'minster)
The way party politics works is the way it works.

It's easy to say PG should've stayed in Chamber and voted against his group... what would that've done. He'd've seriously annoyed all his group and had a fair hard time getting them to support him when he has one of his Good Plans. He did the absolutely wise thing.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2008, 05:05:41 PM »

He did the absolutely wise thing.

Why not abstain?

Being absent for the vote ducks the issue doesn't it?

Offline ZPW

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »

He did the absolutely wise thing.

Why not abstain?

Being absent for the vote ducks the issue doesn't it?

But in essence he did abstain didn't he?
By removing himself from the vote instead of formally abstaining he has allowed the others in his group dignity. Dignity is important to those that are wrong.
His point is made and eloquently so.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »

But in essence he did abstain didn't he?
By removing himself from the vote instead of formally abstaining he has allowed the others in his group dignity. Dignity is important to those that are wrong.
His point is made and eloquently so.

On a personal level, yes.

As an elected Mayor, (because that is what we're discussing in this thread), I would expect to see open disagreement from a representative directly elected by the public.

Lets set the bar deliberately high. Honesty to the electorate is paramount and I don't think we should condone wriggling when the wriggling is done to smooth ruffled party-political feathers....

.... even if it is dignified wriggling.  :)

Offline ZPW

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 08:11:43 PM »
Yes... but when he abstained from abstaining he was not the Mayor, merely ( or extra-ordinarily) a Good Councillor.

If the minister for roads were Mayor I am fairly sure he would be a Good Mayor.

Regardless

Karen-Leaky-for-Queen for Mayor  Karen-Leaky-for-Queen for Mayor Karen-Leaky-for-Queen for Mayor