Author Topic: Swindon Elected Mayor Referendum Facebook Group  (Read 1628 times)

Offline PAV

Swindon Elected Mayor Referendum Facebook Group
« on: September 26, 2008, 10:40:39 AM »
I don't want to hijack anyone's campaign, but would it be a good idea to create a Facebook group to encourage people to sign to petition?

I guess it depends if you're going for quality or quantity?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Swindon Elected Mayor Referendum Facebook Group
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:13:57 AM »

I don't want to hijack anyone's campaign, but would it be a good idea to create a Facebook group to encourage people to sign to petition?

I guess it depends if you're going for quality or quantity?

Actually there is a facebook group for the referendum campaign although we hadn't made it public until today.

Now would seem to be as good a time as any to invite Facebook members in Swindon to visit, and hopefully join the group:

We have deliberately employed a 'soft start' approach to this because we really do want a good quality and informed debate to take place.

As recent events in Stoke on Trent have shown, it is easy to collect the number of petition signatures needed to force a referendum, but democracy in the Borough of Swindon will be better served by discussing this inteeligently from start to finish....whatever the finish turns out to be.

The party politicists have so far demonstrated an unhealthy desire to ignore their past mistakes, rush past any thoughtful and intelligent discussion and move straight towards an end result, which is, so far, almost a carbon copy of the way the council behaved in 2001.   

Yes. We want quality first, quantity later.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:00:13 PM by Geoff Reid »