Author Topic: Swindon Regeneration: Eastcott Residents Question Regents Circus Development  (Read 27136 times)

Offline Nando

I find it staggering that as a local resident I am only aware of this development through word of mouth within the local community and the informative video that the guys have put together (great job). Okay the site as it stands is a complete mess and agreed it needs some regeneration of sorts but some of the stories I am hearing, quite frankly frighten me. The 'opening up' of both Dover Street/Prospect Hill will only invite problems and further disturbances that are already common enough.
I find it alarming but somewhat predictable that certain traditional buildings have been overlooked, why not revamp these as part of the development and save yourself some money, bingo hall etc!?!

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Just as a quick adendum to this story - after 18 months inactivity, the Adver have published the following:

REGENERATION in Swindon will move forward in 2010 – and we will finally see the demolition of the old Swindon College building.

This is according to council leader Rod Bluh, who said progress will be made in 2010, despite increased constraints on the council’s budget.

He said multi-million pound projects to spruce up the town centre will be unveiled and work on the route from Swindon’s railway station into the centre will begin.

But Coun Bluh admitted that all eyes will be on Swindon’s most famous eyesore – the old Swindon College site at Regent Circus, which has been vacant since 2006.

He said: “I know people are waiting to see what will happen with the old college building and I am as eager as anyone else to see that move forward, but we have to make sure it is done right.

“I am confident that we are getting much closer to that point. The scheme that is being presented to us is acceptable.

“The residential element is out and the hotel is out. There has been a lot of discussion going on behind the scenes to get this right.”
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
But Coun Bluh admitted that all eyes will be on Swindon’s most famous eyesore – the old Swindon College site at Regent Circus, which has been vacant since 2006.

errr needs a little re-phrasing does that !

All eyes will be on him and others !
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Provocateur

• Atchya like a ninja cat!
'A lot of discussion to get this right'.... but no engagement with any of the local residentsor any good news regarding looking at any of the issues Tobes raised in his film. A cynic might be forgiven for thinking that 'getting this right' only applies to the interests of the planning dept and the developers...?

Offline Ringer

Where are the local councillors on this issue at election time?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Tobes

• Regents
I bumped into Martin Wiltshire down the pub the other night and we had quite a long chat about 'permeability' and impact this would have on the local streets and residents. I'm hopeful that people's concerns will be picked up...  :-\
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
In passing.

I think there's a possible connection between Mr Rikki Hunt and your old friends 'Blue Click PR'.

Although this profile is 'Private' and the name of the individual isn't displayed, there's an obvious connection with Rikki Hunt via 'Hunt for it'.

Current     * Managing Director at Blue Click Public Relations Ltd.

Past          * MD, Blue Click PR Ltd. at Hunt For It

Given that Mr Hunt already has at least 2 LinkedIn profiles, each carrying very different data than the other, I wouldn't be surprised to find more.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Bejeezus...  >:(

Well, if so, that probably explains why nobody ever came back to me then. The only route of Rikki Hunt communication seems to be through the pages of The Advertiser...

What about starting a new thread where we collect and collate all of Rikki's business 'interests'? I've nothing against the man on a personal basis, but its fascinating to see how many politically key local projects seem to have a connection with him.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:31:26 PM by Tobes »

Offline Tobes

• Regents
I've just been surfing Blue Click's website - which has given me a giggle -  check the date of the story about Regents circus! - http://www.blueclickpr.co.uk/news/news.php?story=468972

Regent Circus at Heart of Swindon Town Centre Regeneration    1st January 1970

;D certainly feels like it, eh folks?!

...it continues...

Blue Click PR Ltd. has worked with the developers throughout the planning and public consultation phase. We are involved in Council planning meetings, collaborate with the New Swindon Company, keep our ‘ear to the ground’ and give regular feedback to our clients on the progress of all regeneration projects.

So, if Blueclick have their 'ear to the ground' can I politely ask why neither they nor the developers ever got back to us or our very reasonable questions regarding site permeability?....  :(

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Just been informed via PM that the profile I thought was connected to Rikki Hunt is actually a contact.  I can't confirm or deny that unless I cough $25 a month to see private profiles  :)

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
On Blue Click's own website it shows their managing director as being Rhona Jack, so I presume that is who the LinkedIn profile you found belongs to.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

So...any idea what the connection to 'Hunt For It' is?

Offline komadori

I notice that they do quite a lot of business for Swindon Borough Council and it's associated organisations.
http://www.blueclickpr.co.uk/news/news.php?story=468972
http://www.blueclickpr.co.uk/news/news.php?story=357441
http://www.blueclickpr.co.uk/news/news.php?story=468973
http://www.blueclickpr.co.uk/news/news.php?story=468965
http://www.blueclickpr.co.uk/news/news.php?story=475272

As well as their one outing with Mr Hunt.
http://www.blueclickpr.co.uk/news/news.php?story=288610

I get the impression they're not too choosy.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
This has cropped up again. A whole byunch of locals went to go and view the revamped plans. Permeability still remains a major concern. I gave a few comments for the Adver and they've picked them up here: http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8133077.Mixed_feelings_over_site_plans/

Still others were concerned about the prospect of their narrow residential streets being used by drunks as a thoroughfare from the town centre into Old Town.

Toby Robson, a securities consultant from Prospect HIll, complained of being awoken twice a week by revellers’ noise.

He said: “We have been waiting a long time for it to be redeveloped and after a lot of failed promises it looks like it could finally go ahead.

“And although people are pleased that the tower is no longer included in the plans, I think many are concerned about the increased noise through this neighbourhood.

“This street will become the logical route to Old Town for anyone on a night out.

“Even as it is now I am often awoken by drunken louts kicking over bins or recycling boxes.

“I can only imagine what will happen if people begin using this as a thoroughfare up to Old Town.“ He added that he was promoting a plan in which the site would lock its gates between 5pm and 9am – a similar arrangement to what the college used to do.

Offline komadori

I went and looked at the plans on Thursday. I think a lot will depend on what they do with the 'covered street' that runs through the centre of the development. If it's locked shut each night, it mightn't be too bad. But there's nothing in what's been presented to suggest that lockability is in their plans.

Offline James

I liked this bit...
James Digby, director of Ashfield Land, the complex’s designers, said: “We are slightly confused

Not a good start...
because one of the purposes of this plan was to link Old Town with the town centre. We don’t want to cut it off.

Good grief, you couldn't cut it off unless you blocked a dozen CURRENT access routes, AND shut Vic Hill.
Has he been and had a look do you think, or was this all done off plan?
It’s not a scheme with bars.

err. No, no-one said it was.
They questioned the access to the residential bit of that part of town to drunks at 4am from the bottom of Town.
Not an improvement.
“Because of its quality, it will also be appropriately managed on site to prevent these problems.”

Only effective if the "gate" is physically shut once the restaurants are, and security are no longer on site. And no CCTV doesn't count in this context, they won't be putting cctv up Prospect Hill.

They must already know about the issue (from the last consultation), so why have they ignored it, I wonder...?
Can't be the planning concept of "permeability" since it is irrelevent in this context. Yes I have read the astonishingly tedious guidance on this. The examples given were for areas with practically no access. Not a dozen streets and alleyways. It is cobblers.
I haven't seen the plans, but I'm guessing they look very pretty.
Don't seem to have been put on-line yet, for some reason.
Maybe I missed them.

Offline komadori

They must already know about the issue (from the last consultation), so why have they ignored it, I wonder...?
Can't be the planning concept of "permeability" since it is irrelevent in this context. Yes I have read the astonishingly tedious guidance on this. The examples given were for areas with practically no access. Not a dozen streets and alleyways. It is cobblers.

I presume you're saying that permeability is irrelevant to the issue of opening access to the roads up the hill from this site, rather than that permeability is irrelevant to this site. The planning guidance for the area requires all developments in the area to be 'permeable'.

Improving connectivity between The Promenade and the wider Central Swindon area is fundamental to maximizing its potential. Delivering a permeable and legible built environment in this area should therefore be a key consideration for development proposals.

So if you wish to argue against the plan (I sense that you might), you need to suggest that the site is permeable enough without this extra thoroughfare. I think that's what you were doing, but wasn't sure.

I haven't seen the plans, but I'm guessing they look very pretty.
Don't seem to have been put on-line yet, for some reason.
Maybe I missed them.

The last date I saw quoted for a planning application submission was June.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
UPDATE:

If you have views on this and wish to pass them on to the planning committee, please email (and let us know if you get a response)

radams@swindon.gov.uk

Offline komadori

And those views are against the application, make it clear that is is an objection to planning application S/10/0846.  Passing on a view is not the same as making an objection. Objections count in planning; views not identified as objections often don't.

The full planning application can be viewed at
http://194.73.99.13/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?caseno=L34KIIPT04V00
from which it is also possible to submit objections and other comments.

Offline Ringer

I passed the the old college tonight as I ate my Kebab and thought was that not going to be pulled down first thing in the new year.... :2funny:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print