Author Topic: Plastic Bottles  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Del

Plastic Bottles
« on: May 12, 2006, 11:59:23 AM »
Does anyone know why plastic bottles are part included as part of the materials in the current recycling scheme?

In order to recycle my plastic, I have to save up a sufficient quantity and drive them to the Recycling Centre in Cheyney Manor.   ::)

Offline johndoyle

• Bhi me Beidh me
    • 1st Westlea Scout Group
Re: Plastic Bottles
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 02:28:41 PM »
this was one of the heated questions that came up at the West Swindon Forum when the pilot recycling scheme was being discussed.

Plastics bottles are omitted from the collection service because they are light and bulky and don't contribute to the weight based targets that the Council are trying to meet. Puts the needs/wants of the recycling public secondary and helps fill landfill sites unnecessarily.  :bash:

A mind is like a parachute - it works best when open. http://www.savecoate.org.uk/

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 03:12:57 PM »

So they're not recycled ?

Hmmm, I drove round to the placcy bottle bank in Shaw this very morning with a huge bootful of bottles which I've had the pleasure of storing.

If they're not being recycled I might as well stamp'em and stuff 'em in with the real rubbish and save myself the fuel and time.

Offline johndoyle

• Bhi me Beidh me
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 04:18:30 PM »
if put in the containers at Shaw Village, Asda, Cheney Manor then yes, they are being recycled. They are not being collected as part of the weekly collection service.
A mind is like a parachute - it works best when open. http://www.savecoate.org.uk/

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 04:35:28 PM »

Ah, I think I see where I went wrong....

.... did you mean: because there is no kerbside collection of placcy bottles, householders were perhaps more likely to put plastic bottle in their 'landfill destined waste' rather than take them to a placcy-bottle bank ?

If so, that makes me something of a recycling  :angel:   ;D

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 04:45:10 PM »
I thnk you can also deposit plastic bottles at Homebase in North Swindon (next to ASDA/Walmart)  not all sites take them, but the more sites the better really.

Offline johndoyle

• Bhi me Beidh me
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 05:28:13 PM »
in my mind, there are 2 basic elements SBC not doing the kerbside collection :

a. more people just say b*ll*x and put them in the black bags/wheelie bins to be dumped in a landfill (taking up space in the every other week rubbish collection truck).

b. those who are committed to recycling make more trips in their cars to the plastic bottle banks - or realise that they're chugging out more CO2 than it's worth and opt for a.... I tend to use the facilities at Shaw and Asda but make sure that I'm not just doing a specific recycle run.

obviously, there are the RETHINK (ie don't buy so many goods with plastic bottles) and the REUSE (how many uses are there for plastic bottles) options.

Lanterns on the Lake in August - might use a couple of plastic bottles as a vessel.....

Offline Del

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 07:19:13 PM »
I get the feeling that the vast majority will just go with the option of putting the bottles in the landfill destined waste.

Does anyone know the best way to feed this back to SBC? (in a manner that is taken seriously)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 09:24:41 PM »

I'm sure it will filter back quite quickly....we're lucky enough to have a few SBC 'councillors with consciences' popping into talkswindon on a fairly regular basis  :)

Offline johndoyle

• Bhi me Beidh me
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 09:58:50 AM »
Michael Wills is putting pressure on SBC to do more recycling :

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/display.var.760101.0.a_big_dustup_over_rubbish.php

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2006, 10:34:21 AM »
I get the feeling that the vast majority will just go with the option of putting the bottles in the landfill destined waste.

Does anyone know the best way to feed this back to SBC? (in a manner that is taken seriously)

Whilst Geoff is right in saying that we have some councillors popping in and out of the forum, to be blunt, I find that they don't actually say much beyond the odd sweeping 'populist' statement that appears to reflect the view of the forum. I fail to see anything to back up their statements.  If you look around the forum you will find examples of this (the recycling debate is one of them)   

My advice would be to write to your local councillor and ask them for their views.  You could also try emailing SBC customer services customerservices@swindon.gov.uk and ask them to pass the question onto the appropriate person withn SBC, they may not make the policy, but they will be able to take your feedback and offer a response.  Your input may even be used for future consideration and, you never know, if enough people feed this back, then the policy may be amended......eventually.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2006, 06:03:28 PM »

Perhaps we should deliver several thousand used plastic bottles directly into the council chamber, each with a note attached...... :)

Offline Del

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2006, 08:21:17 PM »
Well I have emailed all 3 councillors in my ward, and will publish any reply here. 

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 06:57:25 PM »
I thnk you can also deposit plastic bottles at Homebase in North Swindon (next to ASDA/Walmart)  not all sites take them, but the more sites the better really.

Yep, I got a plastic bottle bank put into the Northern Orbital shopping centre a few weeks ago.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 08:38:35 PM »

......looks like the 'great plastic bottle wheeze' is back on the shelf then  ;D

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 08:00:53 PM »
'Recycling' is the greatest greenwashing con there is. Period. It allows middleclass people to feel that they are doing something palpable to save the environment when they drive down to the tip or the bottlebank (and in the meantime, continuing with their consumerist lifestyles in the same way as they did before).

What makes me laugh (well, it would do, if the issue wasn't so sad and didn't betray such a shortage of intellect and understanding on the behalf of our politicians) is that 'recycling' has become a sacred shibboleth these days. The saddest aspect of all is that recycling only addresses any given problem ONCE IT HAS ALREADY BEEN CREATED. Furthermore, it's only viable because the recycling industry itself is subsidised by govt - and that those profitting from it are making their bucks out of the efforts of misguided people who collect and sort the materials which go on to make them a nice little (subsidised) earner..

If anyone can remember their '3 Rs' - the two primary environmental considerations should be REDUCE and REUSE. They are the two main aspects of the retail industry's responsibility for the mess we're in that our NuLabour govt could actually do some good about. But that would envolve tweaking the nipples of their beloved big business partners, n'est pas? Its not as if consumers actually WANT the excess packaging, is it? (though EU regulations have, ironically exaserbated the issue)

PS - on the subject of glass recycling, I have a friend who's a professional glass-blower. I asked him if he ever used recycled glass in his work. He said no. The reason was very very clear. To recycle glass actually consumes more BTUs in energy when you include the sorting and crushing of the glass than it would be for him to start from raw  sand. So there you go, recyling glass - another complete load of balls, purpetuated by people who profit out of something which doesn't actually provide its supposed benefit. What we should be doing is REDUCING our consumption by REUSING our glass. 10p back on a bottle of Corona? Anyone remember that?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 12:49:24 AM by Tobes »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'