Author Topic: A UFO Over West Swindon?  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
A UFO Over West Swindon?
« on: July 22, 2008, 09:30:51 AM »

The other evening I was shooting some 'sky', establishing which of my cameras would be best for taking video of aircraft contrails. (separate story & thread).

I'd set a Sanyo 'Xacti' up on a video tripod, pointed it due West at the remnants of some contrails, set the focus to manual/infinity, left the aperture at auto and rsolution at 1280 x 720 29.97 frames per second.

I pressed the record button and wandered off for a cup of tea.  About 10 minutes later I returned, packed it all away, went inside and slipped the 8Gb SDHC card into my pc and started scanning idly through the footage to see how it would look and whether the camera itself, and the video it produces, is fit for purpose.

While I was clicking through some of the footage frame by frame, I noticed something unusual that I hadn't seen while running the film at normal speed, (29.97 fps), namely a fast moving black airborne object that travels across the entire top left quarter of the sky in about 10 frames. 

Ten frames equals about one third of a second.  I tell you that so you can make a guess as to how far it's travelled in one third of a second, but you don't a calculator to see that it's very fast, almost faster than the eye can see.

Have a look for yourself - you probably won't see the object the first time you view this, so I've repeated the clip again at 10 times slower, (full frame), then again at 100 times slower with software generated pan and zoom applied. (you'll notice some double imaging on the 100 times slower clip - ignore it. It is a side-effect of running the film so slowly)

Now you've seen the film, it would be great to know what you think right now...before anyone has tried to change your mind, so I've locked this thread !

I desperately want members to give their opinions on this, but they need to be able to do so without fear of ridicule.  I understand fully that most people don't actually have skins as thick as me or Rob Magic and are therefore quite wary of putting themselves in positions where they feel they might be ridiculed.  So here's how you, and anyone you show the film to can contribute anonymously:

Please email your opinion to: ufo@talkswindon.org   Our temporary 'UFO' admin will copy and paste the text of your message, (with no identifying information) into a text file before deleting your email.

The admin will then post the unattributed opinions into this thread, before unlocking the thread for the open discussion to start.  Let as many people as you like see the film and encourage all of them to send an opinion to ufo@talkswindon.org  they don't have to be members to supply an opinion...(but they do if they want to leave an online comment later).

I reckon the thread should be unlocked next weekend 26th/27th July, or when at least ten anonymous opinions have been received and are ready to be published (whichever comes first) 

That's it. I will give an opinion as to what I think this object is, but I will do it in another thread immediately after I've posted this....within a matter of minutes in fact.  The other thread will be date stamped and kept hidden until, (hopefully), a few of you have emailed your opinions in.

When admin publish the anonymous opinions, my date-stamped opinion will be 'de-cloaked' and published alongside them, and the thread will be unlocked for general comment and discussion.

I think it will be interesting to see what people say when they're giving a solitary opinion, and then see what a group discussion produces.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: A UFO Over West Swindon?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:08:42 AM »

THIS POST WAS WRITTEN ABOUT 40 MINUTES AFTER THE POST ABOVE, BUT WAS THEN HIDDEN FROM PUBLIC VIEW UNTIL THE ANONYMOUS COMMENTS BELOW WERE READY TO BE PUBLISHED.

AS SOON AS BOTH THIS POST AND THE ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WERE PUBLISHED THE THREAD WAS UNLOCKED.

I initially thought that the object was several thousand yards away and several hundred feet in the air.

Given that it apparently traversed a large section of the sky in a very short space of time I was also of the opinion that it was moving faster than any aeroplane I had ever seen.

I can't say with any certainty why my perception was that the object was further away rather than closer to the camera, because the first Time Tig viewed it she asked:

" What makes you think it's far away...it looks very close to me"

On calm reflection, and having spend quite a while looking at the tape, I'm of the opinion that the object is actually an insect, and that it is a matter of a few feet away from the camera.

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:27:27 PM »

Responses received by email, identifying data removed:

Quote from: Mr F Cortina, Dagenham
Too fast for a plane.

Ho ho ho................, you are a card Geoff.

â€œWarning! Warning! Alien spacecraft approaching, Danger Will Robinson Danger"

Is it bird? Is it a plane? No, holy smoke Batman it must be a UFO.

No doubt that it is in fact a fly, wasp, bee or some other flying insect.

A fly or a bee or something similar, which happened to cross the field of view. The only thing that makes me doubt this is the single frame where the object is in the same place as one of the contrails, but it’s not at all clear from this frame whether it’s in front of or behind the contrail. If it’s behind, then of course it must be something else a lot further away, and moving phenomenally quickly.

I reckon it is going to be something like interference captured by the CCD or a memory reset happening across the ccd.

It could be an artifact on the tape/tape head - the spacing is very regular - you only need to loose a byte or two to get a fault. Also It could potentially be caused by electrical interference - funny stuff waves !

Quote from: Mr A C Clarke
My God, it's full of stars!

I'm amazed you actually saw this on the film in the first place - it is hard to see and moving relatively fast.

I also assume you have not faked this for a bit of fun.

The object does appear to be below cloud level.

I admit I have not spent hours pouring over this and I don't have access to the original film to process myself.  With all this in mind here we go...

The object appears as a black blob.  However it looks natural rather than anything artifical.  The flight pattern reminds me of a bee or another insect.

I think its a fake piece of video

Not a real picture
www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 11:03:44 PM »

Yup, when I first saw it I thought it was a UFO candidate.  I don't know why I didn't fully consider the depth of field this camera was capable of, even with focus set manually to inifinity.

In hindsight it's obvious that the object isn't in focus so I really should have twigged immediately that it was far closer to the camera than it appeared. Maybe only 4 or five feet away in fact.

Offline Swindon UFO Research

• UFO and Paranormal Investigator
    • Swindon UFO Research
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 08:38:21 AM »
It was good to see the majority settling on the obvious cause that an insect had flew close to the camera.  In this case the footage wasn't shaking - which is good for UFO films.

Good experiment.

In the interest of public info, I am considering publishing the next 'interesting' investigation from SUFOR.  (With names removed of course).  This is an attempt to show how the witness perceived and explained the sightings vs the reality of the data.

Sky watch was fun last night, although the clouds closed in around midnight.
You do not have to invoke the paranormal just because you can't explain it.

rob-magic

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:08:57 PM »
I cocurr. Insect. I had decided this was the case as it's unlikely (but by no means impossible) that a UFO would do an about face just for the camera, although an insect such as a fly mostly swerves around a lot. The focus is a genuine issue though with a UFO as the speed can induce a similar effect of bluring.

I am however plased that someone is unafraid to share and openly debate, given the ridiclue often associated with this topic. Well done for that.
And well done for showing genuine interest in the chemtrail issue.

Thanks

Offline PAV

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
I watched the clip several times, I had to watch the slo-mo versions first to "get your eye in" before I could see it on the full speed clip.

Well, it's definitely something. An insect? Maybe?

On a different note, last night about 10ish there were several, at least half a dozen, planes clearly visible from my house in town. Does anyone know where these planes are from and why there seems to be an increase in the last few weeks?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 03:29:40 PM »

Yes.

Which way were you facing and which direction were they travelling?

Swindon sits in the 'armpit' of two commercial air corridors, both of which carry hi and low altitude traffic.

There is a third air corridor which carries military traffic, depending on wind direction and traffic density you'll often see stuff inbound and outbound from Lyneham, Brize Norton and Fairford.

You might notice the odd large passenger plane heading into Kemble, (sometimes even 747's), but these are relatively infrequent and once on the deck they won't be taking off again.  :)

Offline PAV

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:51:09 PM »
My back garden looks out a tiny bit to the west of north (do I look like a sea mariner?).

They didn't actually appear to be heading in one particular direction.

I think I might invest in a decent pair of binoculars, or maybe even a telescope.

Keep Watching The Skies!