Author Topic: Cllr Peter Greenhalgh: 'A New Motoring Hero' says Jeremy Clarkson  (Read 11071 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Yup, our very own PG was hailed a 'New Motoring Hero' by Jeremy Clarkson on last nights BBC Top Gear programme. Minutes earlier Jeremy had indulged in a minor rant about restriction to travel and Identity cards before branding Gordon Brown a 'Josef Stalin' and producing this picture:

Meanwhile, the Hamster, (Richard Hammond), thoughtful little chap that he is, reminded Top Gear's 9 million+ viewers to drive carefully through Swindon as all eyes were now on the town.

James May suggested that anyone suffering an accident in Swindon shoud wait until it's dark before pushing the wreckage into Devises....and claim to have struck a speed camera  ;D

If you missed the program last night you can still catch the 3 minute section about PG & Swindon by clicking anywhere on the picture below.

Meanwhile, well done Peter, a roumnd of applause from me too :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Click the piccie below for the Windows media file, (should play on anyones pc)

Click the piccie below for a higher quality, larger mp4 file which will open in another window and probably require the latest version Real Media player

Small | Large

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:46:07 AM by Geoff Reid »

Offline swindonlad

• Vote UK Discussion Forum
Re: Cllr Peter Greenhalgh: 'A New Motoring Hero' says Jeremy Clarkson
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 08:42:33 AM »
hi

unable to get this to run, could well be me not having the right software to run it - help

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:18:47 AM »
I can't get it to run either  :'(

I did see the show last night though.....Well Done Peter   O0

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »

I keep forgetting that the world isn't ready for mp4's yet  :-[  shame...big, wide screen filling piccie with none of the 'urrgh' of a windows media file. Or 'squareness' of youtube.

5 minutes and I'll have it sorted.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:49:55 AM »

Done  :)  (I hope.)  Let me know if you can't view with a brief description of what does, or doesn't happen.

Offline swindonlad

• Vote UK Discussion Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »
works, thanks

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »
I made the point of watching Top Gear (I'm no petrolhead!) live for the first time and have a couple of comments!

I naively assumed be  some kind of balanced arguement saying the pros and cons of removing speed cameras and replacing them with something potentially more useful and effective.  How wrong was I!

For what is quite a serious subject just couple of 'sun' style  headline sensationlist reporting for an obviously biased pro speeding audience.  It did not really get to the heart of the problem and trivialised the whole subject.

I also don't think Richard Hammonds joke in the greatest of good taste - how would the parents of the young boy who was killed by speeding motorist the other week feel if he was pushed to Devizes!

PS Should have added Swindon web have got this story
http://www.swindonweb.co.uk/?m=2&s=625&ss=631&c=3553&t=Top+Gear+Throne+of+Gratitude

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 05:44:51 PM by concerned_of_Old_Town »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »

I naively assumed be  some kind of balanced arguement saying the pros and cons of removing speed cameras and replacing them with something potentially more useful and effective.  How wrong was I!

We won't get a balanced debate happening in the papers or on the TV....it's up to the public to have the debate amongst themselves I reckon.

I also don't think Richard Hammonds joke in the greatest of good taste - how would the parents of the young boy who was killed by speeding motorist the other week feel if he was pushed to Devizes!

If you mean Tyrese Hannah (sp?), has it been established that the driver involved was speeding, or has it just been 'suggested' that he/she was?  Not trying to prove a point either way....I genuinely don't know. 

I fear a lot of people who would normally join in a general debate about enforcement cameras will fail to do so in debates centred around specific incidents.  Pro-enforcement camera arguments almost always bring specific fatalities into play and use regressive statistics to ram the emotive argument home, leaving those who understand the actual efficacy of enforcement cameras when compared to other ways of making roads safer, unwilling to share what they know.

Lets do it, but let's do it fairly  :)

*edit: correct typo
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:55:45 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 02:40:09 PM »
I suspect our favourite roguish councillor treated himself to a cigar! ;)

PG - are you going to take them up and asume your Top Gear throne anytime soon??!
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Cllr Peter Greenhalgh: 'A New Motoring Hero' says Jeremy Cl
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »

A motorcyclist has died after being rear-ended by a car at a speed camera site.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/july/14-20/jul1508-motorcyclist-killed-speed-camera-car/?&R=EPI-101738

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »

Speed camera bosses lose video said to show cameras cause crashes

Speed camera bosses claim to have lost video footage said to show that cameras cause crashes.

The footage – showing cars breaking heavily and crashing as they approach a speed camera – appeared on the BBC news website but vanished after critics claimed the crashes were caused by the camera. It was also aired on BBC Breakfast news on April 21.

MCN submitted a Freedom of Information request for the footage to Norfolk camera bosses after the BBC refused to hand it over

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2008/June/16-22/june1808speed-camera-crash-video-lost/

Offline Oldtoon Army

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 05:26:53 PM »
Peter was backed up by Rod here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq3IRIdZ9HE&eurl=http://www.annesnelgrove.co.uk/speed_camera_ban

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
I watched the YT vid with interest  :-\

So what will stop speeders/RTA's and fatalities then  ???

What does it take to make a road safer ?

Reduced speed limits ? hmm maybe/maybe not as according to some speed limits dont work either.

So what is the solution !

Well I know I dare not go faster than 20mph down Pinehurst rd, Otherwise I would damage my car
with the speed thumps humps.

But suppose it depends on the road, the layout and other stuff to be taken into consideration.

I'm all for trying something as a solution before knocking it, but what could the answer be I wonder  ::)

Chav  :angel:
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Pandora

• Views From The Hill
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »
Does anyone know if SBC/SCS
Have started work on Tadpole Lane, outside the learning campus yet?
Apparently we are supposed to be having VAS signs erected and some coloured road
surfacing put down by September.

The schools on the learning campus open again on the 3rd September, so fingers crossed

Pandora  >:D
http://www.penhill.blogswindon.org/ I AM NOT WHERE I NEED TO BE, BUT THANK GOD, I AM NOT WHERE I USED TO BE.