Author Topic: Common Sense Breaks out Eastern Europe  (Read 774 times)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Common Sense Breaks out Eastern Europe
« on: July 01, 2008, 08:32:13 PM »
After spending donkey's years keeping the Commie threat at bay by pointing lots of tanks at Eastern Europe I now suggest that we embrace this particular bit of  political dogma and roll out the red carpet all the way to calais.

Poland's President Lech Kaczynski says he will not sign the EU's reform treaty at present, following its defeat in an Irish referendum last month.
He said it would be "pointless" to sign the Lisbon Treaty, even though Poland's parliament has ratified it. All 27 EU members must ratify the document.

Lech is new to the eu game, he read, understood and inwardly digested the phrase 'All 27 members must ratify the document', he's only got just over 4 years in and is still labouring under the impression that the eu is an affiliation of nations engaged in free trade. Bless.

Mr Kaczynski was speaking as France took over the EU's rotating presidency.

france, presidency, europe. Strangely wrong isn't it.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy said "something isn't right" with the EU and warned citizens may be losing faith.

Oh, do you f*cking think so? Mon Dieu and no mistake.

The Lisbon Treaty is intended to streamline EU decision-making following enlargement of the bloc, creating a new EU president and foreign affairs chief.

We already have both positions covered independently thanks (Course, I would swap either incumbent for a relatively able chimp and marmoset). Does anyone else see the irony in appointing a foreign affairs minister for a body where every member is foreign to the other members? Or does the eu perceive itself as a nation in it's own right.

Mr Kaczynski, a conservative who has long opposed the reform treaty, was speaking in an interview with the Polish daily Dziennik. "For the moment, the question of the treaty is pointless," he said. Although the Polish parliament ratified the treaty in April, it still needs the signature of the president.

Top chap in my view. He can stand for PM here if he wants.

The BBC's Adam Easton in Warsaw says Mr Kaczynski's comments are unsurprising as he is opposed to deeper European integration.
Our correspondent says the president would be happy to see the Nice Treaty, which currently governs the way the EU operates and gives Poland disproportionate strength, remain in force for a while longer.

Refreshingly honest, and an exquisite demonstration of why the eu, in it's present form, is cack. 'Back off brussels!' As my favourite commentator on the subject would say.

However, he is in conflict with Prime Minister Donald Tusk, who has said the EU will find a way to bring the treaty into force.

Sack him, how can you take anyone named after a dodgy Fleetwood Mac album seriously? What next? President Now 64?

Mr Tusk said: "I hope the president will re-consider this position. I have no doubt that the treaty's ratification is in Poland's best interest."

I hope the President reconsiders the PM's position.

Mr Kaczynski has joined his Czech counterpart in openly opposing treaty ratification. Czech President Vaclav Klaus, and many lawmakers, do not want to sign the treaty while its future is still uncertain.

We should have joined the Warsaw Pact while it was still an option. The gay University lecturers may have been onto something.

German President Horst Koehler has also delayed ratification - until the country's highest court has delivered a ruling on legal challenges.

Is common sense contagious? I do hope so.

Mr Kaczynski warned EU members not to pressure Ireland to find a solution.

How on earth has he survived in the world of politics? Common sense, fair, open and honest. Startling.

"If one breaks the rule of unanimity one time, it will never exist again," he said.

Profound and accurate, won't stop the french though, or our silly scotch twonk.

However, the president did say he thought the EU would carry on working. "Certainly it isn't ideal, but a structure this complicated couldn't be ideal," he said.

I had to sit down to read this, my legs went all wobbly.

There will be a ceremony at the Arc de Triomphe in Paris on Tuesday to mark the beginning of France's six-month presidency, which it takes over from Slovenia.

I'll clear my diary then.

But Mr Kaczynski's comments will mark a difficult opening to the French stint.

I wonder if he's married.

President Sarkozy expressed his concerns in an interview on French television channel France 3. Mr Sarkozy said: "Something isn't right. Something isn't right at all." "Europe worries people and, worse than that, I find, little by little our fellow citizens are asking themselves if, after all, the national level isn't better equipped to protect them than the European level," he added, calling such thinking a "step backward".

Now, let's see which way gordnon vacillates, he must feel a right gonk after gibbering on about his utter determination to open a new orifice through which to screw this nation, then the freanch do what they do so well and shaft him instead. isolated and a decision to make, his utterances on the subject should be a signal lesson on saying sweet fa at length.

Mr Sarkozy said: "The first priority is to pinpoint the problem with the Irish voters and to continue to allow other countries to be ratified, especially our Czech friends."

I think he will find that 'friends' is stretching the point a tad, my guess is that the Czechs are still enjoying a freedom that is still relatively new to them and ain't about to roll over for some sharp suited and morally bankrupt flatlander.

Mr Sarkozy will travel to Dublin on 11 July to hear Irish voters' concerns first-hand.

Pop across here if he wants as well.

EU leaders are due to meet in October to hear from Ireland's prime minister on how to move forward after the "No" vote.

Generally no means no, and if the Oirish PM can remember how he got his job he will have the opportunity to hold the shortest meeting on eu records. Video conference I'm thinking.

France has set out ambitious plans on immigration, the environment, agriculture and defence for its presidency.

No immigration, specifically to france, though they are happy to act as a staging post for other destinations. Look after the environment, all french manufacturing will be relocated to somewhere else. Except for an aeroplane wing now and again, at huge cost. Agriculture, france, do me a favour! Defence, now let's see, wouldn't join NATO, has a 4 stage military strategy, run, hide, surrender then colloborate and it's best body of fighting men are foreign. They wil sign treaties the fail to turn up until the rebuilding budget for the country that has just been trashed is doled out.

Mr Sarkozy also said he would also work for a Europe-wide cut in value-added tax on restaurant bills and oil to help consumers cope with soaring crude prices.

Someone is going to have to explain to me how a cut in VAT on restaurant bills is going to galvanise the world economy, I bet they're dancing in the streets in Bucharest. Once you accept VAT (I'm still working on that) then you would probably accept that a restaurant bill is probably a fair place for it to pop up. (Once you accept VAT that is, still working on it). Oil, now excuse me if I'm wrong but it is the eu that fixes VAT at 15%, now if member states say it should drop why hasn't it, you have got eu enthusiasts that enabled it and nurtured it now referring to it as some strange beast that someone else was responsible for creating. I suspect Nic is being a bit disingenuous and trying to bump up his approval ratings at home.

But his call for the EU to cut VAT on fuel has received little support from other member states.

The populations of member states, or the scrofulous bastards who claim to represent them? This is probably all populist bollocks being spouted, but would they have dare uttered such phrases a year or two ago?

I think europe should hang together, but as a loose, flexible and nimble affiliation of countries, not an over legislated collection of 27 nations who are routinely browbeaten and finagled and where a 'No' vote is translated as maybe until rules are rewritten.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.