Author Topic: Protestors to target circus in Marlborough  (Read 1659 times)

Offline abdullahazzam

Protestors to target circus in Marlborough
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:36:27 AM »
Protestors to target circus in Marlborough

Wednesday 25th June 2008

"PROTESTERS angry about a circus that uses horses, ponies and one elephant are planning to hit the streets.

Swindon members of Captive Animals Protective Society are thinking about staging the demonstration outside at least one of the Marlborough performances of the Bobby Roberts' Circus, which will run from today until June 29.

The group say the circus is little more than a cruelty roadshow and are angry that the circus continues to transport one elephant, eight Arabian stallions, six falabella ponies and two dogs, around the country.

Organisers of the protest say the animals are trained to perform unnatural and cruel tricks and and say Anne, the 55-year-old elephant, should be allowed to retire.

CAPS member Craig Redmond said: "It's time to end the out-dated practice of forcing animals to perform for our amusement, particularly when there are lots of high-quality circuses that rely entirely on human skills.

"In the 21st century there can be no excuse for continuing to allow the treatment of animals in this way.

"Anne is not a pet as the circus claims, she is an elderly arthritic animal whose health can not be benefited by being carted around the country."

However, the circus say that Anne is extremely well treated and no longer has to perform but would die from shock if she was taken away from the circus because she has been with them since she was five.

Moira Roberts, the circus administrator, who has been with the circus for 42 years, says the circus is Anne's home.

She said: "The animals make up 11 minutes out of every two-and-a-half-hour performance.

"We are very proud of our animals, the protesters say that she doesn't have any other elephants to be around with but she doesn't need another elephant for company.

"The horses stand on their hind legs. But that is natural and they are not forced to do it.

"We do not answer to these protesters though, we answer to the people of Marlborough so when they want us out then that is when we will no longer show up."

An RSPCA spokesman said: "We believe the use of animals in circuses should be prohibited.

"Circuses have to transport animals.They are unable to recreate the environment necessary to allow animals to express natural behaviours."

A section in the new Animal Welfare Act, the charity hopes will come out this year, is expected to ban the use of some animals in circuses.

The circus is the only one of 30 working in the UK which has an elephant and one of only eight which use animals in acts."

The Captive Animals Protection Society

Amnesty International Reprieve UK [url=http://www.worldcoa

Offline sasquatch

Re: Protestors to target circus in Marlborough
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »
CAPS member Craig Redmond said: "It's time to end the out-dated practice of forcing animals to perform for our amusement

I hope they are going to campaign against that performing dog on Britains got talent !

My own take - it's a Circus for f*cks sake - what do they expect ?

Are they going to attack dressage and horse racing ? Performing whales, sea lions, dolphins, hamsters, aquariums - both domestic and commercial ? What about performing children ? Surely they need saving from their parents ambitions ?

The group say the circus is little more than a cruelty roadshow
- possibly not but there are a number of BDSM clubs they can go to !

"Circuses have to transport animals.
No Shit !

I would also point out that farmers have to transport their animals - esp. when they are going to slaughter  :)

When an animal is above me in the food chain i'll start listening. (and before some smartarse starts talking about sharks etc. when a shark can hold a gun to my head i'll believe you)

I would suggest the Captive Animals Protective Society get a life.

Just my opinion.

no animals were harmed in the preparation of this post but there are a couple of magpies that are going to get it shortly for the racket they are making !
"I have often been called a Nazi, and, although it is unfair, I don't let it bother me. I don't let it bother me for one simple reason. No one has eve

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »
Performing whales?

I immediately visualised a Blue whale obliterating a plastic hoop and then shifting several cubic kilometres of water onto a chubby audience as it splashed down. Sunburned, soaked and bemused. I'd laugh.

I have a foot in both camps, I don't like circuses, or zoos, though the latter may have a part to play in undoing some of the damage the rest of us do. I don't like fur or feathers in cages full stop really.

I haven't stopped to think why I don't like them, I just don't.

Then I hear or read a phrase like '"It's time to end the out-dated practice of forcing animals to perform for our amusement, particularly when there are lots of high-quality circuses that rely entirely on human skills. and I know it will be someone earnest with facial hair and a dodgy penchant for lairy knitwear, then I don't like him either.

I saw a performing bear in f*cking Bulgaria, eu member I believe, can't they sort them out first?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »
My own take - it's a Circus for f*cks sake - what do they expect ?

Acrobats, clowns, sword swallowers? The clowns were always my favourite when I was young. I never saw the point in the performing animals.

There are actually a lot of different organisations campaigning on issues of animal cruelty. Some of them cover lots of different issues, some are very specific in their targets. CAPS is one of the specific ones - check their web site and you'll see that they focus on animals held in captivity for the amusement of people - zoos and circuses and suchlike. I'm sure a lot of their supporters also have strong feelings on (for example) factory farming and fox hunting, but those are not issues that CAPS campaigns about, just as Swindon Climate Action Network (for example) doesn't campaign about (for example) Zimbabwe.

Are they going to attack dressage and horse racing ?

Horse racing is one of Animal Aid's campaigns - http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/horse/ALL///

Performing whales, sea lions, dolphins, hamsters, aquariums - both domestic and commercial ?

You really didn't bother checking the CAPS web site did you? http://www.captiveanimals.org/aquarium/index.htm

"Circuses have to transport animals.
No Shit !

I would also point out that farmers have to transport their animals - esp. when they are going to slaughter  :)

And that is one of Compassion In World Farming's principal campaigns: http://www.ciwf.org.uk/campaigns/primary_campaigns/long_distance.html

When an animal is above me in the food chain i'll start listening.

That's a suspiciously supremacist statement.

Then I hear or read a phrase like '"It's time to end the out-dated practice of forcing animals to perform for our amusement, particularly when there are lots of high-quality circuses that rely entirely on human skills. and I know it will be someone earnest with facial hair and a dodgy penchant for lairy knitwear, then I don't like him either.

I don't know what mental picture you have of me, but I can assure you that I have neither facial hair nor knitwear of any degree of lairyness. Although I can be quite earnest at times.

I saw a performing bear in f*cking Bulgaria, eu member I believe, can't they sort them out first?

I was going to suggest that there's probably already an organisation in Bulgaria doing just that, but when I tried to find them, I found this instead - looks like they've already been sorted out  :)

http://www.unian.net/eng/news/news-246616.html
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 11:09:09 AM »
The flawed argument of the protectors on this issue remind me of the days when a load of my mates were involved with the hunt sabs at Uni. I think only one of them was a veggie. The rest went around happily clad in the then fashionable black leather jackets and paraboots and thought nothing of tucking into a nice rendered burger of mechanically recovered battery farmed meat. What their protect was really about was the chance to have a ruck but with a 'morally justifiable' excuse. Oh, added to which, the people they were targeting were toffs and country folk: ergo, a politically correct minority to go and mix it with. That an animal died seemed to matter to the extent of requiring direct action only on the basis of its edibility. If an animal dies by having its throat cut after an unatural life or gets ripped to bits by hounds seems only to differ in terms of aesthetics to me. The the fox, or the chicken or the pig, the end result is the same. This issue looks rather similar to me.

As a consequence, I no longer see these sort of issues as moral ones - more societal. Tribes like to pick on other tribes, regardless of the ambiguity of their pholiosophy or the hypocrasy and double standards of their post-rationalised justification. For example, if the burning issue really is about animal cruelty, surely a better and more effective target would be the ha'lal butchers and stores along Manchester Road? At the end of the day, the majoity of us eat dead animals, wear dead animals and keep pets. It ticket paying audiences want to go and watch performing animals which are kept according to already extraordinary strict welfare guidelines, then I'm perfectly happy with that.

Animal welfare is an issue of emotivity which defies logic or consistency of approach: there is no better example of double standards and contradiction than the country's own supposed self elected guardians, the RSPCA.

If compassion in 'world' farming and other such groups want to effect change regarding real cruelty, I suggest that the real challenge is much more difficult: perhaps they should take a holiday to Africa, India or China to find out what actually happens outside of the comfy environs of Marlborough? (or as Mart says, even within our own supposedly civilised EU...) I wouldn't deny the potestors the right to make their opinions heard - but their justification seems weak to me.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 07:30:02 PM »
The flawed argument of the protectors on this issue remind me of the days when a load of my mates were involved with the hunt sabs at Uni. I think only one of them was a veggie. The rest went around happily clad in the then fashionable black leather jackets and paraboots and thought nothing of tucking into a nice rendered burger of mechanically recovered battery farmed meat.

Obviously I can't speak for your carniverous hunt sabbing contemporaries, but I've been veggie for 12 or 13 years now, and I think all the people I've met through Swindon Animal Concern are either veggie or vegan.

For example, if the burning issue really is about animal cruelty, surely a better and more effective target would be the ha'lal butchers and stores along Manchester Road?

I think Tesco would make a better target at the moment. http://www.chickenout.tv/news.html?newsid=169
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 08:03:38 PM »
I think I'd agree with that Simon (even though its a cause I don't support). Going for a circus just seems like such a lazy and easy thing to do. It'll obviously get publicity and earn the participants a certain am ount of notariety - but surely, in the scale of animal suffering, circuses have got to be pretty damn low on the list of priority, determined either by the number of animals effected OR by the 'cruelty' experienced?

The root of any issue always lies with the down and dirty realities. The mass production of meat has to be a massively more important issue (and hey, I'm a meat eater)

Obviously I can't speak for your carniverous hunt sabbing contemporaries, but I've been veggie for 12 or 13 years now, and I think all the people I've met through Swindon Animal Concern are either veggie or vegan.

Good - that at least means, unlike my college hunt sab mates, or the politicians which voted through the hunting ban, you're not complete hypocrites.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'