Author Topic: Room 101 - Your pet peeves  (Read 7017 times)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
Room 101 - Your pet peeves
« on: May 10, 2006, 07:37:58 PM »
I thought it would be fun to start up a light hearted discussion on those things that really piss you off!

Providing people with an opportunity to let off steam at those irritating things in life that raise your blood pressure.

Ideally, and in keeping with the name of this forum, it would be good to link them back to Swindon in some way, but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.

To get it started I thought I would add a couple of mine, not in any particular order:

phones4u, it's not the company specifically, it the tactics of their sales staff and the way they insist on coming out of their shop (usually attired in a cheap suit) and insist on talking to you about their latest phone offer.  They must be trained in being smarmy and are the least subtle sales people I know.

They should get back in their shop and recognise that IF I WANTED A PHONE I WOULD GO AND GET ONE   :bash:  and probably from the internet where I don't have to ensure an hour of patronising sales spiel and will probably get a better deal anyway.

Those so called 'charity workers'  I refer to those groups of people that congregate in the town centre and harrang you into signing a direct debit mandate for 'their' charity.  These people are close to parasites as they cream off a significant amount of your contributions and simply don't know the meaning of the word NO.  What's more, they do not accept the fact that any other charity may be a worthy cause, that is, until they happen to be getting paid to support  it.  Get them off the streets, if you wan to give to charity, go directly to them, at least that way you're not paying for some middle man, or woman, to continue hassling you on every visit to town.

Offline johndoyle

• Bhi me Beidh me
    • 1st Westlea Scout Group
Re: Room 101 - Your pet peeves
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 09:16:02 PM »
phone calls/letter to say you've won XYZ... Come along to a 1 hour long presentation blah blah blah

telemarketing calls - the momentary silence before the words start - the technology has got thru to you and now has to connect to the available telemarketing agent who starts their script.......

NTL Customer service. Does it really exist?

Wayne Rooneys foot and the media intensity

Chris Evans and David Blaine.

A mind is like a parachute - it works best when open. http://www.savecoate.org.uk/

Offline johndoyle

• Bhi me Beidh me
    • 1st Westlea Scout Group
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 09:16:56 PM »
oh - and Swindon Town FC and their stupid stadium plans.... :censored:
A mind is like a parachute - it works best when open. http://www.savecoate.org.uk/

Offline Tig

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 09:51:06 PM »
Those so called 'charity workers'  I refer to those groups of people that congregate in the town centre and harrang you into signing a direct debit mandate for 'their' charity.  These people are close to parasites as they cream off a significant amount of your contributions and simply don't know the meaning of the word NO.  What's more, they do not accept the fact that any other charity may be a worthy cause, that is, until they happen to be getting paid to support  it.  Get them off the streets, if you wan to give to charity, go directly to them, at least that way you're not paying for some middle man, or woman, to continue hassling you on every visit to town.

i find these people really annoying,these people are so pushy, they don't accept that you may have other charities you wish to support. i support 2 charities sometimes with money, but the best support i feel i have given is my time with the people using these charities.

personally i do get wound up when a charity supporting in another country  look down on you for supporting charities in your own country  >:(

Offline Jess

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 08:03:17 PM »
I feel sorry for those ditrect debit charity workers.
They are mainly students trying to earn some money.

My pet peeves
CHEWING GUM on the street. How does it all get there? I never see the oiks that spit it out ( or do they sneakily pass it from mouth to hand to floor? If so then they know that they are doing is vile )
Is there a spot fine available to them?

Dog faeces.

Owners that leave their dog's shit out for us all to enjoy are nasty dirty people.

Offline Jess

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 08:05:16 PM »
People that feed children rubbish.

Adults that take children into Mc Donalds to eat lips and bums.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 08:13:28 PM »
I feel sorry for those ditrect debit charity workers.
They are mainly students trying to earn some money.

The sad thing is that no matter how many times you ask them if they make ANY money or how much of YOUR money wil go to the charity and not the middlemen, they always avoid the question.......why is that I wonder???  What's worse, as if it wasn't bad enough that they harrass shoppers, now they come to your door in the evenings and bore you for 5 minutes on the doorstep with their over familiar 'I'm your best mate' sales pitch which before being told to f**k off.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 06:31:46 PM »
Those bloody parasites are migrating!  Maybe it's the warm weather or maybe the wind has changed direction, but I've just been visited by the charity parasites at my front door.   :censored:

This time it was for a women's charity, supporting women that have suffered from abuse.

Whilst I don't mean to denegrate the work of the charity, I think this was a prime example of the fact that these people are nothing more than sales people who hav no real understanding of the charity's values.

After several refusals of their 'offers' to allow me to donate £2 a week, I then got a lecture about how some of the women are the victims of men that don't understand that NO means NO.  I don't think she could see the irony of the situation when, after saying NO to her 7 times, she was still pursuing her sale.    :D

It was only after I said that I was not going to donate and there was she could say to change my mind that she gave up.......only to then ask that "because you've got a nice face, can I use your loo?"

These people should be outlawed, what's wrong with getting a job in a bar or McDonalds???

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 07:49:41 PM »
Don't want them working at Mc. Do's they'll only feed your other pet peeve....
I thought they had something in common

They roam around the town centre harrassing anyone

Offline Alligator

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 07:51:16 PM »
Yeah, but at least I get to choose whether to go into McDonalds  ;)

Offline ZPW

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 09:08:54 PM »
Worse than pigeons, worse than Mcdonald's,......................

STUPID STUPID people that record their children's voice on their answering machine msg.
If you are one of these people ( dear reader ) know that it is not CUTE, it is TEDIOUS and marks you out as one with semolina in your pantry.

before anyone defends semolina... DON'T. Semolina is the cockroach of food stuff, it has stood the test of time and needs no help from you.

Offline sasquatch

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 01:47:47 PM »
One thing that really annoys me is people who take their children to McDonalds "as a treat" - How can feeding your children food dripping in saturated fat made out of the parts of animals that humans don't normally eat be classed as a treat ?

My kids know that mcdonalds beefburgers are made out of cows noses, cows bottoms (ok we lied about this - is there any rump steak in a big mac ?)  and cows snot ! (kids like the word snot for some reason ?) and we actually use it as a threat to them - e.g. "If you don't behave we'll send you to mcdonalds" - works every time.

people suggest we are cruel not "treating" our kids to meals there - I would suggest that we "treat" our kids by NOT taking them there ! It doesn't take much to make a decent beefburger at home (about three minutes to make it and six to cook it) and you get a quality burger, with known ingedients, minimal fat and it is cheaper with good flavour !
"I have often been called a Nazi, and, although it is unfair, I don't let it bother me. I don't let it bother me for one simple reason. No one has eve

Offline Jess

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 03:01:18 PM »
Totally agree.

lips,bums and eyelids.

( although snot is a pretty nasty thought )

Offline James

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 07:59:05 PM »
But do you get a pretty box and a toy?

James

Offline ZPW

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 08:53:13 PM »
Dohh .......

you can steal the toys easily from all the fatties as they leave mcdonalds.
the boxes you pick up from the street as they drop them.

mjad

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 05:41:34 AM »
what concerns me about the food they serve at mcdonalds is they claim to be 100% beef & it ends up looking & tasting like that!

i dread to think what they do to it

Offline James

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 08:12:42 PM »
May be more nutritional value in the toy.

James

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 11:40:18 PM »
what concerns me about the food they serve at mcdonalds is they claim to be 100% beef & it ends up looking & tasting like that!

Perhaps the McDonalds advertising department is using the same elastic dictionary that spawned Anne Snelgroves understanding of the word 'Voluntary' ?

Perhaps Mc D's have also lent Tony Nu Labour some money recently.....and will therefore be shortly changing all signage to add the word 'Lord' or perhaps 'Sir'...........