Author Topic: Should Swindon have its own Boris, Brian or a Ken?  (Read 38627 times)

Offline James

Re: Should Swindon have its own Boris, Brian or a Ken?
« Reply #80 on: September 10, 2008, 07:59:48 PM »
The fact is that at that time the few people who were asked wanted an elected mayor system, yet we didn't get one, nor were the wider population of Swindon asked.
The question is do we still want one, or are we happy with (unwanted) the status quo?

This is unfinished business.

James

Offline swindonlinkman

• The best read publication in town
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
People like mayors, politicians don’t

A nice line used by DorothyThornhill, the mayor of Watford elected on 9 September 2008. See attached:

[attachment older than 365 days auto saved then deleted by admin]

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2009, 05:46:32 PM »
Well I have come accross this on page 5 of the members buletin:

Mayoral petitions A consultation
Author: Hilary Kitchin
The government wants to change the current requirements and make it easier to obtain
sufficient signatures to trigger a mayoral referendum. A consultation document, Changing
Council Governance Arrangements ? Mayors and Indirectly Elected Leaders, makes a
number of proposals including lowering the threshold of signatures needed for a mayoral
petition.
This briefing outlines the issues for consultation and provides background to the mayoral
debate.
More of this briefing at:
http://www.lgiu.gov.uk/briefing-detail.jsp?&id=2060&md=0&section=briefing

you can access the SBC members buletin by clicking on this link:

http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?action=post;topic=3224.0;num_replies=81

Or you can go to http://ww2.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/ecCatDisplay.asp?sch=doc&cat=499&path=0&J=3

where you should have a list of members buletins to read from  :santa_evil:

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »
Sounds interesting and could offer an opportunity to revive the campaign hi-jacked and screwed up by the Advertiser.
Tried to click on lgiu link and it demands you to be a member and the SBC link goes to a list of bulletins. Which one is it?

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2009, 05:58:03 PM »
Sounds interesting and could offer an opportunity to revive the campaign hi-jacked and screwed up by the Advertiser.
Tried to click on lgiu link and it demands you to be a member and the SBC link goes to a list of bulletins. Which one is it?

Its number 440 the one at the bottom - page 5

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »
Wow, I'm sure Steve Wakefield would like to look as thin as portrayed on the front page of the bulletin.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2009, 11:03:27 AM »

Yep.

The government wants to change the current requirements and make it easier to obtain sufficient signatures to trigger a mayoral referendum. A consultation document, Changing Council Governance Arrangements?

Mayors and Indirectly Elected Leaders, makes a number of proposals including lowering the threshold of signatures needed for a mayoral petition.

This briefing outlines the issues for consultation and provides background to the mayoral debate.

More of this briefing at: http://www.lgiu.gov.uk/briefing-detail.jsp?&id=2060&md=0&section=briefing

Only problem being that the Council is keeping the consultation issues and 'background' of the issue to itself again. This document is not available to members of the General Public.

Again.

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2009, 11:52:39 AM »
Not a problem at all. We can thank the eagle eyed chav for spotting this issue and giving us the opportunity to focus on the issue again - if we want to.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2009, 04:38:04 PM »

Yep.

The government wants to change the current requirements and make it easier to obtain sufficient signatures to trigger a mayoral referendum. A consultation document, Changing Council Governance Arrangements?

Mayors and Indirectly Elected Leaders, makes a number of proposals including lowering the threshold of signatures needed for a mayoral petition.

This briefing outlines the issues for consultation and provides background to the mayoral debate.

More of this briefing at: http://www.lgiu.gov.uk/briefing-detail.jsp?&id=2060&md=0&section=briefing

Only problem being that the Council is keeping the consultation issues and 'background' of the issue to itself again. This document is not available to members of the General Public.

Again.

I filled out the required registration form, and where it says organization, I clicked on 'Community Link' as I am a member of a Community and a community volunteer.
It said thank you for registering blah blah blah!
......and 'your form is being processed etc etc etc !

I still have had no confirmation/activation email from them, yet on the website its self, it gives you reasons for wanting to join, and the benefits of joining etc etc etc !

So where's me flaming activation email then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wot is the point of having registration forms if ya cant get in !!!
Maybe then just wanted my details !!!!! now theres a thought!

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2009, 05:17:21 PM »
Sorry, I was thinking about this the wrong way.

I was daft enough to think that SBC was serious when it said it wanted to encourage interest in local politics and achieve excellence in all it's dealings, but especially where transparency of political decision making is concerned.....silly me.

The consultation is a public one, anyone can make a contribution to it. Closing date is the 13th of March 2009

Who we are consulting

1.9 This is a public consultation and it is open to anyone to respond to the questions which are summarised at annex A.

We would particularly welcome responses from councils in England, national representative bodies, and electoral registration officers and returning officers.

It was really too much to hope or expect that SBC's political entourage would publicise a public consultation on something that affects their grip on local politics, especially so at a time when the leader of the council is enthusiasticly lending his voice to a Local Government Association campaign to have more power devolved from central government into the hands of.....
....leaders of local councils!

Our views, I suggest, are about to be ignored by SBC again, so now is a good time to have a quick ganders at the questions this consultation is seeking to answer and submit your own responses.

Here's a link to the consultation that SBC doesn't seem to want to share with you:

http://www.talkswindon.org/politics/elected-mayor/hmg2009consultation/mayors_and_indirectly_elected_leaders_consultation.pdf

Here's the consultation questions: (They are fairly self explanatory, but unless you are reasonably familiar with the subject matter a read of the entire consultation document is a good idea)

List of consultation questions

Question 1 Should we remove the special requirements that a proposal to move from a mayor and cabinet executive must include a statement setting out the arguments for and against the change and the council’s reasons for wanting to make that change?

Question 2 Do you agree with the proposal that the moratorium period should be reduced from ten years to four years where a governance referendum does not result in a change?

Question 3 Should the threshold for a petition to trigger a governance governance referendum be reduced across the board? If yes, to what level should the threshold be reduced, bearing in mind the considerations about the balance between the practicalities of collecting signatures and the demonstration of a significant level of interest in change.

Question 4 Should numerical thresholds be set? If so, what should the basis and bands for these thresholds be?

Question 5 Should the threshold be a percentage, but subject to certain minimum and maximum numerical thresholds? What should those percentage and numerical thresholds be?

Question 6 Do you agree that a traditional paper based petition calling for a governance governance referendum may be supplemented, if the petition organiser so wishes, by e-petitioning?

Question 7 Do you agree that e-petitioning for a governance governance referendum must be through a secure e-petitioning facility provided by the council concerned?

How to respond

1.10 Your response must be received by 13 March 2009 and may be sent by email or by post to:

email: email: governance@communities.gsi.gov.uk

Changing Council Governance Arrangements Consultation
Communities and Local Government
Zone 5/A2
Eland House
Bressenden Place
London
SW1E 5DU

One nice thing to come out of this consultation document is the information on petitioning that the Borough Solicitor has, for several months now, failed to provide despite promising to do so.

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2009, 06:12:48 PM »
I love it. From Chapter 1.

1.1 The white paper, Communities in Control: Real people, real power, is about passing
power into the hands of citizens and communities. It sets out a range of policies to
achieve this, building on work in progress from the 2006 Local Government white
paper, Strong and Prosperous Communities.

Does anybody know if this has gone to cabinet or just hidden/buried/lost?

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »
Posted by: swindonlinkman 
Insert Quote
I love it. From Chapter 1.

1.1 The white paper, Communities in Control: Real people, real power, is about passing
power into the hands of citizens and communities. It sets out a range of policies to
achieve this, building on work in progress from the 2006 Local Government white
paper, Strong and Prosperous Communities.

Does anybody know if this has gone to cabinet or just hidden/buried/lost?

Ask Muggins (Talk Swindon Member)!
I am sure they will put you in the picture if you ask them !

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »

For HMG's 'Real People, Real Power' read SBC's 'Connecting People, Connecting Places'.....although in SBC's version the 'empowerment' aspect seems to have evaporated.

I don't know about cabinet, but the briefing notes, (the ones we can't access on account of them being available to members only), are available to all councillors.

My best guess is that the only responses to the consultation SBC want the Dept for Communities and Local to see from Swindon, will be the ones supplied by them.

I spent an hour scouring www.swindon.gov.uk and couldn't find any mention of this consultation, which is surprising given that SBC is blowing it's own trumpet on how it wishes to 'empower' residents.

SBC knows all about this consultation, yet doesn't tell the rest of Swindon that it's entitled to have another say in how the leadership of the council can be changed.

Offline ford

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2009, 08:52:28 AM »
The Conservative party are going to promulgate the elected Mayor programme, according to this BBC report

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7893295.stm

Swindon is not a flagship town for the experiment.

The 12 cities earmarked for directly elected mayors, which would have executive powers similar to the mayor of London, are:

* Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol, Coventry, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Nottingham, Sheffield, Wakefield.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2009, 11:14:36 AM »
It's good to see them putting the issue of local democracy back on the agenda, their plans are very much in keeping with the answer that David Cameron gave when I asked him about this last year.

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2010, 02:30:36 PM »
Is swindon one of the 12 largest cities in the UK?

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2010, 02:57:01 PM »
Swindon Council better have good reasons to waste more time seeking city status. See my earlier posting on Queens jubilee city status plan.
http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=4662.msg29385#msg29385

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2010, 11:38:20 PM »

Surely Swindon needs a town centre before it can have a City Centre?

Unless we're trying for a 1940's Blitz look?

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2010, 11:52:48 PM »
Well with the new water feature the town centre is heading in the right direction, (back in time)

I remember the old one that Labour had removed

and just think of Rod’s plan to give is back a cannel... that goes back even more years....

Mind you after Park’s I am surprised that they wanted to give Tory councillors any more chances to go fishing  :2funny:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2010, 12:08:25 AM »

Possible thread titles from bogo's post:

'The Pissoir and the Plumber'

'Clochemerle and cloth ears'

'Pride cometh before the Plumber falls'