Author Topic: Dog loses vote  (Read 5122 times)

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
Dog loses vote
« on: April 30, 2008, 01:07:49 PM »
This story is a wheeze.
All about Gavin ( not Gavin the rocker, another younger Gavin) who got into a spot of bother for returning his dog's polling card thus striking  a blow for animal rights.

The Council lawyer is miffed and Gavin has said sorry and returned Fido's voting chit.
So all is calm...

the article doesn't seem to address the question of why the dog was sent a polling card in the first place........

http://www.adver.co.uk/display.var.2234645.0.gavin_in_doghouse_over_polling_card.php

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
Re: Dog loses vote
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »
the article doesn't seem to address the question of why the dog was sent a polling card in the first place........

http://www.adver.co.uk/display.var.2234645.0.gavin_in_doghouse_over_polling_card.php

It does.

It says

........But after a visit by the police, prompted by Swindon Council, Gavin has now admitted that it is definitely his handwriting on the list.

He said: "I just don't have any idea how I've done this. I must be cracking up.

"I must have put it down completely unconsciously - it certainly wasn't a practical joke.

"I don't know how to explain it. I know it sounds crazy but it really was a mistake.

What the article doesn't explain is how someone can really be THAT stoopid!

Offline ZPW

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 02:59:37 PM »
Noooo...
The polling card I am referring to is the piece that asks one to verify those that live at the address. This is the bit the Gavin-not-the-rocker sent in ( I think his. I don't know how that happened... whoops it is my handwriting ... was a bit of  a craic). In return he got his voting card ( orwhatever its called.. help me out here Mr Swindonlad, you know all things electoral as far as I can tell).

The question is... why was his dog sent a polling card, not why did Gavin-not-the-rocker return it; he returned it for the sheer sillyness of it all.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 03:08:09 PM »
noooo, noooo and noooo again

I'm not Mr Swindonlad, but I'm going to answer you anyway.

This Gavin chappie is an idiot and he filled in the electoral form (which we all have to do once a year) showing his dog (Bobby) as being a person who is eligible to vote, he then forgot he did this.

election time came round and polling cards were sent to him and Bobby, he (apparently forgetting what he did) wrote to the Adver to poke fun at SBC, the council wrote to the police, the police visited Gavin, Gavin admitted he's a t**t and that he must have done it and then he wrote to SBC to beg for forgiveness.

SBC did exactly what is expected of them, they sent a polling card to someone they were told was eligible to vote.  This guy is either a complete idiot or someone trying to prove a point whose bottled it as soon as a threat of the pokey or a fine was mentioned.

It's a non-story, wasting space on the talkswindon server  O0

Offline swindonlad

• Vote UK Discussion Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 06:31:20 PM »
i will reply as asked to, but only to say i see it as alligator sees it. imho - someone thought it would be a joke to fill in their dog on the form, however, they were not expecting a visit from the police as a result of going to the adver...

Offline ZPW

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 07:26:20 PM »

It's a non-story, wasting space on the talkswindon server  O0

OK... well and truly smited.
Apols. to all for this as well as all the wardrobe references.

i will reply as asked to, but only to say i see it as alligator sees it.

And again. Apols.

Offline David Sammels

• My Council Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 05:13:28 AM »
I saw the actual registration paper - and the handwriting is clearly the same throughout it - obviously he didn't take the time to read the legal section or the consequences of false declarations!

Does highlight, in my opinion, the need for individual voter registration.
Conservative Cllr for St Philips (Upper Stratton)  My Blog - http://davesammels.wordpress.com

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 08:48:14 AM »
Individual registration = more bloody paperwork.
Perhaps we should appoint a Director of Registration or source it out to Capita.
Bobby

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »
I just think of National ID cards and how they can't go wrong.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

No-Angel

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »
I saw the actual registration paper - and the handwriting is clearly the same throughout it - obviously he didn't take the time to read the legal section or the consequences of false declarations!

Oh dear Cllr Sammels I think you may have put you foot in it…. ::)  What right did you have to see this registration paper? These forms are covered by the data protection act and as a councillor for St Philips it’s not like you had a constituent interest. Maybe someone should be asking the question at the next full council “What private and privileged information are councillors being given access to?

We don’t need individual registration just a council that enforces the law. The man should have been prosecuted not let off with just publicly apologising for the prank, if for no other reason than to deter others.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »
It's a non-story, wasting space on the talkswindon server  Afro

...it may have just ceased to be a non story...  ::)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »
Yes he has certainly put his foot in it and could well end up in the "Dog House"
You say it could be raised at full council but it will be just another crappy item that is debated to no audience but if you have ever witnessed a SBC debate it makes the Dibley Parish Council meetings look slick.
Moving on vicar.
Bobby