Author Topic: Swindon's regeneration and the credit crunch  (Read 26811 times)

robert feal-martinez

Re: Swindon's regeneration and the credit crunch
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »
I think Phil Youngs response could be summed up in that old ditti, 'if, if's and and's were pots and pans there would be no need for tinkers'. In other words political speak for nothings happening yet.

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2008, 12:09:01 PM »
Thanks for your reply Phil.

Not sure if I agree with your sentiment Robert.

I asked if there were any updates on the possibility of grassing the area over, and Cllr. Young has given an update on it.

Of course, if you mean nothing's actually happened in the physical sense of any grass etc being laid, then you are correct. O0
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2008, 10:02:32 AM »
My ramblings about green bits in the 'regeneration' were mainly based on my personal view of the aesthetics of the thing, then this caught my eye.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7714950.stm

Evidently I am dangerously close to making a well thought out argument based on scientific fact. Damn.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2009, 07:26:35 PM »

Some of the parts that have been demolished are, in the grand plan, the last that will be redeveloped, the old police station for example. As these sites would, even without the economic problems, be vacant for several years, you'd think something better could be done with them than just put hoardings round them. Just grassing them over to give a bit of green space for a while would be a big improvement.

Couldn't agree more Komadori.  I have actually already kicked off a conversation to see if this can happen - either used to add additional parking to make it easier for people to get in to the Town, particularly during the construction phases when access may be more challenging and we need to do all we can to support the traders, or as green spaces for the interim.

Over a year later, and we're still just at the talking about things stage.

The fact is that a lot of this land is going to be sitting there doing nothing for a number of years to come, so why not do something with it....

At the moment we are working with the New Swindon Company to negotiate with landowners, in the areas where we don’t own the land, to get an agreement in principle....

I really hope to get it initiated this year. First we have to look at consultation with the owners, then with the public. We are probably looking at some time in the autumn for that.

Note just 'initiated this year', rather than 'finished this year'. Just how much talking does it need before we get some action? :tickedoff:
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c