Author Topic: Swindon's new monument to itself...  (Read 12746 times)

Offline swearingran

Re: Swindon's new monument to itself...
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 10:10:06 AM »
help an old lady out....Did I read some where that one of the first things to be shown on this brilliant tv screen is BALLET?  Please tell me it isn't so.  I can see it now.  Women one side looking for the size of the nut cracker suite and men and boys on the other attempting to look up tutu's.....me in the middle tutting, saying eat some food instead of toilet paper.  I know it's supposed to be culture and inspire, but who's the role model in ballet? WAYNE SLEEP :2funny:

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 11:10:24 AM »
Yes you are quite right ballet and other artistic items will be featured. The council can the guage from the amount of people that regularly watch if a concert hall would be a viable proposition for Swindon. Drunks, dossers and yobs that frequent the area could also be included in any survey.
Bobby

Offline swearingran

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 06:53:31 PM »
I can't wait to watch life imitating life! :D

Offline swearingran

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 06:54:37 PM »
Oops too much Sonategon....I meant to say Life imitating Art. :D

Offline ford

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 07:47:25 PM »
It was on today.
Not ballet though.

Offline swearingran

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 08:12:17 AM »
oh well, can't have everything.  I just wanted to watch the drunks trying to prance about.... :)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7401814.stm

A number of Rangers supporters in Manchester for the Uefa Cup final clashed with riot police after a big screen in the city centre broke down.

Officers came under attack after the screen in Piccadilly Gardens failed.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 09:15:31 AM »
Just imagine the furore if the Ballet on Screen failed at Wharf Green. It would make last nights problem in Picadilly Gardens, Manchester appear quite tame.
Bobby

Offline PAV

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 12:01:59 PM »
Does it have sound?

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 12:52:57 PM »
It does...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 04:04:05 PM »
But on the opening day it was out of sync.
Bobby

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 06:37:05 PM »
But on the opening day it was out of sync.

'Out of sync' seems to be the hallmark of anything digital these days.  :bash:

Bring back analogue please......

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2008, 05:44:21 PM »
Gosh, shock, horror, surely this can't be true? 

I did chuckle at this bit:  a large group of youths were seen riding their bikes all over the new benches and into the freshly painted walls.

Into the freshly painted walls :WTF:, is this the latest Swindon youth craze, hit the wall of death with Swindon Suicide Freestylers. Bless their little cotton socks. ;)

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/swindonletters/display.var.2299557.0.letter_from_nick_beaumontjones.php

Letter from Nick Beaumont-Jones todays Adver:

WHAT a wonderful new amenity the New Swindon Company and the council have created in Wharf Green. Although the cost was high there is not doubt about its value for money when one sees the improvement to the streetscape and the opportunity for high quality community activities to be held there.

What a great shame that there appears to be no management regime in place to protect the area from vandals, litter louts and other undesirables. Last night a large group of youths were seen riding their bikes all over the new benches and into the freshly painted walls. The damage they caused to the benches was considerable and added to that already caused by skateboarders only the week after the area was formally opened. Calls to the police to deal with the vandals fell on deaf ears.

This morning litter is strewn over the area (some only a few inches from the new, and already badly stained, litter bins), a vagrant was sleeping on one of the benches, plants have been pulled out of the landscaped area, the new York stone paving is splashed with stains and Wharf Green was beginning to slip back into its old, sad ways.

Come on Swindon. We all know there is a massive amount of pride in the town. Let's make Wharf Green the first step towards showing our visitors that we can be a quality destination and not the town that time forgot.

Nick Beaumont-Jones Centre Director The Brunel Swindon
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 12:44:30 AM »
Before living in Swindon I lived in Harlow. In Harlow, as in Swindon, people either had 'massive pride in the town' or a strong feeling that it was rubbish, with very few having a view that it was an okay, average place. What seems to differentiate Swindon from Harlow is that in Harlow people had pride in the town for what it is (a post-war New Town, with all the architectural and town planning oddities that come with that) whereas in Swindon the pride is in what the town was (a railway town) rather than in what it became (a post-war London overspill town). It's almost as though people wish that the estates in North-east and south-east Swindon didn't exist, whereas in Harlow developments, though not exactly celebrated, are recognised as being a part of what the town is. Everytime I read a comment like Mr Beaumont-Jones' about Swindon becoming a 'quality destination' its like reading a request to obiliterate Swindon's economic basis as an industrial and commercial town.

Industrial or commercial centres tend to be neither pretty nor tourist magnets. There's nothing wrong with that, and its about time people started to be proud of what we've got and can achieve based on that, rather than wishing to be something prettier but ultimately less viable.

(Apologies for a rather random rant written after spending the evening in the pub.)
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2008, 11:11:28 AM »
Anyone stumbling across this thread may be interested to know that the wonderous TV (is it Bluh-ray?!) will now be bracketed by a cut-price discount store ( http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=3745.0 ), McDonalds, the empty and undeveloped covered market, the multi-story car park and will be within high interest rate I'm-a-chav-and-I-need-my-baubles-NOW gobbing /wkd bottle lobbing distance of a 'Brighthouse' shop ( http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=3628.0 ) .

... even the weird multicoloured 'glowing condoms' illuminated art-piece down the road is missing half its bulbs and is full of verdegris...

Viva Swindon and the 'vibrant' vision... Is there nothing that can be done to stop this town slipping any further into grey mediocrity?!

:'(

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
Yes - Get the martial arts chap as the elected mayor. He will then kick some ass!!
Bobby

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 07:36:46 PM »
I was excited when the proposal for TV was announced as thought just the thing which could kick start the re-generation but case of reality not matching the vision.

I was looking at the whole area on Saturday and concluded that  even the Chavs are boycotting it (even though there was some fair ground ride there).  The thing what really got me was the flower/tree bed to the left of the screen is severely overgrown with weeds and is a right state (only six months old) and seems to reflect the lack of pride the re-generation and stagnation has caused.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2008, 07:37:46 PM »
Doh... Poor old swindon... I seems that what ever's attempted always gets mired by the grim (or is that twin?) realities of ecenomics and an agressively proletarian population... No project is ever going to succeed if it doesn't recognise those two issues.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2008, 07:55:05 PM »
The world's first Public Space Broadcasting screen in Manchester 's Exchange Square was launched as an experiment in 2003. Having proved itself to be a powerful magnet for urban regeneration and animation for the city's public space, the model has now been rolled out in loads of other towns and cities including Birmingham, Liverpool, Hull, Leeds, Rotherham, Bradford, Swindon and Derby.

S'magnet, powerful one too. Stand by for regeneration and animation.

Moneyspinner for the BBC and Philips, website and everything.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2014, 10:01:55 AM »
I just thought I'd disinter this old thread from six years ago to ask... Has anyone actually WATCHED anything on the Big Screen? I mean, instead of glancing at it as they walked past (though why anyone would even be in Wharf 'Green' to begin with is the first mystery)... Perhaps you were bored whilst waiting for your significant other to get a new washing line from Argos, or maybe you were waiting for your McDonalds icecream milkshake to melt down enough to slurp up your straw...?

The reason I ask, is that I read this piece in The Adver, and once again I'm left pondering the point of our digital White Elephant. With so much being cut at the moment, how much has this thing cost us over the years, how much does it continue to cost us, and, frankly, what purpose does it serve if it doesn't actually ever screen anything of any real community interest? I know there's some 'worthy' stuff on their every-so-often, but I hardly think those things are meeting either a mass audience or are being delivered in a particularly effective manner.

Am I alone in feeling more than a little cynical...?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10983884.Big_screen_switch_off/

IT WAS announced yesterday that no matches from the World Cup will be shown on the big screen in Wharf Green this summer.

The decision has been made to both prevent trouble as well as help pubs in the town centre which will be showing the games.

The World Cup is due to be held in Brazil from June 12 until July 13, with interest from fans set to be high.

However, the decision has been taken that no match, regardless of which team is playing or kick-off time, will be shown and talks are still ongoing as to whether either the opening or closing ceremony will be shown.

InSwindon is the company responsible for controlling the screen and says as its funding comes from businesses in the town centre, it is important they are not seen to undermine them.