Author Topic: where are the greens?  (Read 5061 times)

Offline swindonlad

• Vote UK Discussion Forum
where are the greens?
« on: April 06, 2008, 08:18:42 PM »
after a few years of a strong green party slate in swindon (1 year out doing the lib dems in south swindon for candidates) does anyone know what happened this year?

i know they have had problems in the past, 1 year the nominations forms were dropped off at the civic at the last minute & were all wrong (not signed by the person who said they could use the green party name) iirc

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Re: where are the greens?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 10:06:24 PM »
I have read on TalkSwindon that there are no green party candidates standing this year, although I've been unable to find a list of all the candidates who are standing. Could any helpful person supply such a link please?

Having said that, if there are no green party candidates this year, then I'm sorely disappointed.

In the last few years, when I've read the full list of people who want to be cllrs, with a few exceptions, the names that I recognise fall into two groups.

1) People who are already cllrs, or who have previously stood for election to be a cllr, and who have got their name mentioned in the Adver or here on TS in that capacity.

2) People who I already know from a wide variety of campaigns, who put a lot of voluntary work into the cause(s) that I know them from, but who don't usually get involved in party politics and have surprised me by turning up on the list of green candidates.

There are a few who fall into both groups, but on the whole...

I get the impression that most of the people in group 1 are standing for the big parties and are more interested in bigging up their party than in what their constituents actually want.

The people in group 2 I really want to see in the council chamber. They are the people who are really passionate about worthy causes. They tend to be the people who surprise me by turning up on the list of green party candidates.

If there really are no green party candidates this year then election day is going to be a sad day for local democracy  :'(
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:02:04 AM »
I have read on TalkSwindon that there are no green party candidates standing this year, although I've been unable to find a list of all the candidates who are standing. Could any helpful person supply such a link please?

I've updated all the relevant 2008 local election threads today. There are no green party candidates.

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 08:50:46 PM »
Ahh, this is the link I was looking for, with the full list of candidates all in one place http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=3081.msg16699 (thanks Dougal).

And there are indeed no Greens  :'(
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Alan Hayward

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:57:58 PM »
Simply a sign of the times.

Greenies stand no chance. Nobody is going to vote for them as nobody believes them any more.
'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbal in the wabe

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 02:22:55 PM »
Neatly if bluntly put.

I think it is a balance thing involving a laboured pendulum analogy. A pendulum will only swing so far before it wants to swing back. Personally speaking I have toed the line where I can on green stuff but I am still under a verbal and financial cosh, I am now at the point where I am fed up to the back teeth with the way the onus is exclusively on me and mine.

I don't want to pay for the packaging I get with my shopping, I can't afford a hybrid car, my house is as up together as I can manage, I am unlikely to fly this year and the only place I can get solar panels and wind turbines is from DIY stores or eBay. Meanwhile 'government' bungs the world's leading polluter £850m and continues to swan round in limos and 4x4's but does take time out to ban light bulbs.

Greens may well have a case and a cause but they have alienated too many.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Jenni Miles

• Swindon Greens
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 10:11:24 PM »
While I do (unsurprisingly) strongly disagree with the comment "Greenies stand no chance. Nobody is going to vote for them as nobody believes them any more." I am sorry to confirm that we are not standing any candidates in Swindon this year. I'm pleased to confirm, however, that this is a one-off and we will be back, bigger, better and strong next time.
Kind regards,
Jenni Miles
Treasurer, Swindon Green Party
www.swindongreens.org.uk
Co-Chair, Young Greens
www.younggreens.org.uk
www.myspace.com/southwestyounggreens
ONE PLANET ONE CHANCE ONLY.
Join the Green Party NOW.  Telephone 020 7272 4474
or visit:  http://www.greenparty.org.uk/join
Jenni Miles Green Party Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Swindon, South. *Link Removed* *Link Removed* htt

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »
Shame that you've taken away the choice to vote green Jenni - doesn't really sound very confident if you're not standing any candidates, does it?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 07:26:57 PM »
Welcome to TS Jenni  :)

Hope to see you and the other local Greens joining in the discussions here between now and the next time, after all quite a few of the local politicians of various other colours are. I know a lot of Green candidates have credibility in their own right from knowing them through other (non party political) campaigns, but I guess Joe and Jo Public don't get involved with campaigns the way I do so don't have the benefit of that first-hand knowledge.

I think you'll find this a good place for reaching those people and letting them know what you stand for  O0

Offline Jenni Miles

• Swindon Greens
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 10:05:40 AM »
Shame that you've taken away the choice to vote green Jenni - doesn't really sound very confident if you're not standing any candidates, does it?

If you would like to help us to stand next time please feel free to join the party and help us. Just follow the links from swidongreens.org.uk or e-mail me and I'll send you a form :)
Jenni Miles
Jenni Miles Green Party Prospective Parliamentary Candidate for Swindon, South. *Link Removed* *Link Removed* htt

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 11:49:13 AM »
Hehehe! Nice side-step Jenni! As you might have read through the pages of TS, whilst a supporter of some green initiatives, I'm far from ready to accept the orthodoxies which would be required before I could sign myself over to full membership of the Green Party.

Having said that - I have voted for Mr Hughes in the past. Even though I could see that, as an obviously quite a shy man, he found the process of canvassing a bit uncomfortable, he was and remains the only party political candidate in my nearly ten years of livining in Swindon, who's actually bothered to come knock on my door. That eaned him my respect - and that year, my vote.

The sum total of political effort this time was:

Labour - a single feintly photocopied flier.
Conservatives - nothing at all
Lib dems - one small colour version of 'Focus', follwed by an a3 version - but with exactly the same content as the small one.
Greens - no one standing

Its interesting to see that you said you were sorry not to be fielding any candidates... Any truth to the muttering last night at the count that the Greens may had forgotten to process their applications on time?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:13:57 PM by Tobes »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'