Author Topic: Swindon Lad on the Local Election - 'Not Interested'  (Read 23637 times)

Dick Norman

Re: Swindon Lad on the Local Election - 'Not Interested'
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2008, 10:48:32 AM »
 ;)

It was suggested to me yesterday that just maybe the regeneration thing including that abject lack of planning on the College site may be in trouble as there may be a distinct lack of money to achieve it.  God bless you Gordnon!!

Where will regeneration in Swindon be then? - a lot knocked down and an awful lot of eyesore - still there is the library, but that was funded by the Council as you know, but one Library is not the regeneration of Swindon.

Interesting times!!

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2008, 11:07:30 AM »
Dick,

I think you may be on to something here.  I saw a report on the news last night that was referring to the latest interest rate cut, however they were highlighting the fact that rate cuts are little more than pissing into the wind when it comes to making a difference.

They went on the highlight Chester's redevelopment where they have recently bulldozed a number of buildings, supposedly for a new shopping centre, only to find that the developers can't actually borrow the necessary funds to finance the development due to the "credit crunch".  They now have a pile of rubble with wire fences around it and no sign of the developers moving in.

This could be a worrying time for Swindon and I'd be surprised if it's just the old college site that gets hit.

Can the councillors reading this please make a commitment not to start knocking down any other buildings in the other parts of the regeneration without ensuring that the developers have their finance sorted first?

Offline PAV

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2008, 11:33:49 AM »
The thing I don’t understand about the re-generation/demolition is, instead of leaving piles of rubble surrounded by white wooden fences, why don’t they clear the areas, turf them and then we can have some nice green spaces (albeit temporary) in our town centre?

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2008, 01:02:18 PM »
I see that Swindon's mayor, the announcer said his name was Michael something, was enjoying the hospitality of Swindon speedway last night. I assume he was the bloke wearing the gold chains.

It wasn't very hospitable on the centre green last night, I was soaked and frozen to my red flag.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline PAV

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »
It definitely wasn't short sleeve weather, that's for sure.

Offline kecl

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2008, 01:55:39 PM »
The thing I don’t understand about the re-generation/demolition is, instead of leaving piles of rubble surrounded by white wooden fences, why don’t they clear the areas, turf them and then we can have some nice green spaces (albeit temporary) in our town centre?

The rubble is taken away, only the welcoming fences remain.

I'm not sure which is worse, empty buildings slowly being vandalised, and in the case of Davis House also being used by junkies, or demolishing them and surrounding the area with bland fencing.

I like the idea of greening the demolition areas over, by all accounts it could be a minimum of 2 years before any work is likely to start on Union Square or the Queenstown area to you and me. A bit of greenery would be welcome before more multi storey buildings tower over us.

Another option could be turning these areas into carparks, after all vast swathes of the Princes St.area was flattened back in the 60's in the name of redevelopment, only someone forgot to build the planned Civic Hall when the Wyvern was built, finding a carpark far more useful instead - What vision!! O0

http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2008, 10:39:13 PM »
Isn't there another option: allowing the tennants or leasholders to occupy the properties until development is about to start and only then demolishing them. I realise that in many cases the occupants were leaving anyway, so the only practical option was demolition, but there have been some properties that could have been left in use rather than being demolished.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Keith

• Cllr. for Shaw and Nine Elms
    • West Swindon In Touch
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2008, 07:41:40 AM »
Numerous schemes have been refused due to poor design

.... like the 17 story erection soon to be probing the skyline on the Old College site? (6 floors higher than the existing monstrosity)

Being 6 floors higher does not make it a bad design. In Swindon we are faced with the challenge of building more homes, simply saying no to all developers is not an option; otherwise planning permission can be forced upon us as it was with Abbey Meads. In this situation we lose the ability to negotiate over what we would prefer, along with payments towards infrastructure from developers to fund schools, parks etc.

The options are to build outwards on more greenfield sites or to use brownfield sites such as the Old College. Higher density development is appropriate in Town Centres, I think you will find the fairly vocal local Civic Trust (who have ex planners amongst their number) will agree with this.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 08:14:57 AM by Keith »

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »
Numerous schemes have been refused due to poor design

.... like the 17 story erection soon to be probing the skyline on the Old College site? (6 floors higher than the existing monstrosity)

Being 6 floors higher does not make it a bad design. In Swindon we are faced with the challenge of building more homes, simply saying no to all developers is not an option; otherwise planning permission can be forced upon us as it was with Abbey Meads. In this situation we lose the ability to negotiate over what we would prefer, along with payments towards infrastructure from developers to fund schools, parks etc.

The options are to build outwards on more greenfield sites or to use brownfield sites such as the Old College. Higher density development is appropriate in Town Centres, I think you will find the fairly vocal local Civic Trust (who have ex planners amongst their number) will agree with this.

All in agreemnet over here.
The assumption that high is bad is overused and facile.
The current eyesore blotting my view from the smokers bench outside the beehive is only slightly less pleasant than before all the Old College windows were smashed.
There is currently a ghastly high building in situ; replacing it with a higher density design makes nothing but sense.
The addition of

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 03:40:34 PM »
Isn't there another option: allowing the tennants or leasholders to occupy the properties until development is about to start and only then demolishing them.

Agree totally Swindon College has been closed for two years now and it is an embarassing eyesore.  Furthermore because of it's closure many of the shops and businesses around there have closed or are struggling. fear because of the credit squeeze increasingly not feasible to develop and it will become another Mechanics Institute

Are the developers of Swindon College paying business rates whilst it is in limbo?If not perhaps they should together with some kind of penalty charge

Offline Keith

• West Swindon In Touch
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2008, 05:50:27 PM »
Isn't there another option: allowing the tennants or leasholders to occupy the properties until development is about to start and only then demolishing them.

Agree totally Swindon College has been closed for two years now and it is an embarassing eyesore.  Furthermore because of it's closure many of the shops and businesses around there have closed or are struggling. fear because of the credit squeeze increasingly not feasible to develop and it will become another Mechanics Institute

Are the developers of Swindon College paying business rates whilst it is in limbo?If not perhaps they should together with some kind of penalty charge

As of the 1st of April 2008 premises empty for more than 3 months incur full business rate. Factory and warehouse premises that are vacant incur full rate after 6 months.
The intention being that landlords find new tenants, however one would would suspect that if an area is marked for redevelopment then the accountants will make the recommendation to level a site based on the sums and legislation in front of them.

The College site is supposed to be coming down imminently, however internal work is having to be performed first due to asbestos used in its construction. I too wish they would get a move on as does my barber who has his shop at the bottom of Victoria Hill, the landlord hasn't told him what is going on either.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »
All in agreemnet over here.
The assumption that high is bad is overused and facile.

Not from here. Imagining that someone's objecting to the tower simply because you have assumed that objectors think 'all high-rise is bad' would be equally equally facile ! SBC planners can allow developers to build as high as they like as far as I'm concerned - but whilst being aware of the impact that building has upon the environment in which it's being build the architecture next to where its being built. Please site me an example of a nice well designed high-rise development in Swindon to use as shining example which will counteract us poor misguided nimbies then?

High-rise to that scale on that site is not only innapropriate - but its probably the ONLY planning decision which could have made matters worse than the exisiting eye sore. We kiss goodbye to a towering 1970s piece of junk and welcome instead a much taller, totally out of context concrete and steel tower. Its design in terms of height is not an aesthetic consideration - its simply a means of packing more flats into as small an area as possible. The fact that a vast swathe off Old Town will now be overlooked by a building is NOT something which I can see as 'good'. It isn't.

There is currently a ghastly high building in situ; replacing it with a higher density design makes nothing but sense.

...except that the new building will be getting on for 50% HIGHER - go count the stories of the college building, ponder its visual impact, the imagine something 50% taller and which will be visible from the WHOLE area rather than just some of it. We're talking about something nearly on the hideous scale of the DMJ here! Nice (not). Makes financial sence. Makes some political sense (outside of Eastcott ward)... Doesn't make sense in terms of visual impact - or those householders who will now have all their windows and gardens over-looked 24/7 by their new neighbours (the college was non-residential, remember?)

The College site is supposed to be coming down imminently, however internal work is having to be performed first due to asbestos used in its construction. I too wish they would get a move on as does my barber who has his shop at the bottom of Victoria Hill, the landlord hasn't told him what is going on either.

Maybe it will Keith - but I fear for the conservatives... I think in your hurry to roll-out the regeneration you've all taken a massive gamble and it's about to be called out. Admittedly, it was bad luck - but the 'Credit Crunch' means that unless you've all been careful enough to have VERY well drafted penalty clauses into the T&Cs for the developments, instead of bequeathing swindon with the much trumpeted 'vibrant' new outlook, you'll have given us nothing more than a wasteland of demolition sites which will stay empty for years and years. Your party - indirectly, but with shared culpability - will also have been partly responsible for the closure of an ever increasing number of businesses as they're forced to vacate those demolished buildings. How many of those businesses are actually going to be able to restart elsewhere in the current ecenomic climate? What will the imapct be upon the people who used to be employed within those businesses? Had you and your colleagues considered the potential downside of the rush to pull everything down?

If you hadn't, you'll get away with it this election - but boy, are you're going to suffer at the next.

As of the 1st of April 2008 premises empty for more than 3 months incur full business rate.

Anyone else smell spin? Tell me Keith - is that why there's such a rush to pull everything down? Afterall, you can't pay rates on a demolished building, can you?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Keith

• West Swindon In Touch
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »

Maybe it will Keith - but I fear for the conservatives... I think in your hurry to roll-out the regeneration you've all taken a massive gamble and it's about to be called out. Admittedly, it was bad luck - but the 'Credit Crunch' means that unless you've all been careful enough to have VERY well drafted penalty clauses into the T&Cs for the developments, instead of bequeathing swindon with the much trumpeted 'vibrant' new outlook, you'll have given us nothing more than a wasteland of demolition sites which will stay empty for years and years. Your party - indirectly, but with shared culpability - will also have been partly responsible for the closure of an ever increasing number of businesses as they're forced to vacate those demolished buildings. How many of those businesses are actually going to be able to restart elsewhere in the current ecenomic climate? What will the imapct be upon the people who used to be employed within those businesses? Had you and your colleagues considered the potential downside of the rush to pull everything down?

If you hadn't, you'll get away with it this election - but boy, are you're going to suffer at the next.

As of the 1st of April 2008 premises empty for more than 3 months incur full business rate.

Anyone else smell spin? Tell me Keith - is that why there's such a rush to pull everything down? Afterall, you can't pay rates on a demolished building, can you?

No spin, honest. I thought I had already confirmed why a landlord might demolish a site with my accountant comment above. Maybe I was too subtle?
The Council itself is going to knock down a large disused warehouse north of the railway because recent legislation means leaving it up will now cost more in rates than knocking it down. If I was being mischievous I would suggest this is another stealth tax, as business rates whilst collected by the Council (even from itself ie: Council Tax payers) are all passed on to the Exchequer.

As for the rush to redevelop. The New Swindon Company has been around since about 2002 and I understand improvements were being talked about long before then. As it was in 2006 I saw the models constructed by the developers tendering for the Granville Street development prior to selection of a development partner I don't think anyone has rushed in there either.

As for the demolished sites leading to a loss of jobs, the staff from the college site have moved to North Star. The Police have moved out of their station to Gablecross, the Salvation Army in Davis house have relocated, as did the Post Office until recently (hardly a Council decision to relocate it to WHSmiths).
If you are talking about the tented market then you will need to speak to the landlord that served notice on the tenants, not the Council. Interestingly the same landlord has put in for planning permission to have the market opened up again with alternative use as a cafe.
The recent events at the Bingo Hall are also down to the owner deciding not to continue as the Council would be more than happy for bingo to carry on there.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2008, 11:48:26 PM »
As for the rush to redevelop. The New Swindon Company has been around since about 2002 and I understand improvements were being talked about long before then. As it was in 2006 I saw the models constructed by the developers tendering for the Granville Street development prior to selection of a development partner I don't think anyone has rushed in there either.

As for the demolished sites leading to a loss of jobs, the staff from the college site have moved to North Star. The Police have moved out of their station to Gablecross, the Salvation Army in Davis house have relocated, as did the Post Office until recently (hardly a Council decision to relocate it to WHSmiths).
If you are talking about the tented market then you will need to speak to the landlord that served notice on the tenants, not the Council. Interestingly the same landlord has put in for planning permission to have the market opened up again with alternative use as a cafe.
The recent events at the Bingo Hall are also down to the owner deciding not to continue as the Council would be more than happy for bingo to carry on there.

Alright - good answers, I stand corrected and informed - thanks. (though your comment about your own barber reveals and confirms that its the smaller businesses that are suffering from the uncertainty)

Maybe I was too subtle?

I've had a few beers tonight - so you'll have to be blunt!  O0

...but, my point about the demolition still stands though (as confirmed by you). If the council insist on full rates being paid, then landlords/owners of sites to be redeveloped will demolish ASAP... if a building has been earmarked for CP for redevelopment, the its obvious that no retailer is going to invest any money in it for the short term... Others have already noticed and noted the large numbers of retail properties already lying empty across town. If the credit issue bites, is there a plan 'B'? What step is/can SBC and the planning dept. taking to make sure that The New Swindon Company don't leave us with a swathe of rubble-strewn sites? The thing is, SBC will start to cop the public ire as the months roll-on without any construction taking place, even though you're not actually directly to blame... Rod has regularly fronted various bits of coverage promoting the redevelopment. You can't on the one hand use it as an endorsement of council policy but then point to the SDC if things start to go wrong, can you?

(Anyway - the 17 storey college tower is STILL an example of bad planning. People for the time being are simply pleased to hear that the old building is coming down. There will be plenty of complaint when the site lies empty for months and months - and plenty more once the erection of the tower begins and people realise the sheer scale and size of the building...)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 10:34:08 PM by Tobes »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Keith

• West Swindon In Touch
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 08:54:03 AM »
...but, my point about the demolition still stands though (as confirmed by you). If the council insist on full rates being paid, then landlords/owners of sites to be redeveloped will demolish ASAP... if a building has been earmarked for CP for redevelopment, the its obvious that no retailer is going to invest any money in it for the short term... Others have already noticed and noted the large numbers of retail properties already lying empty across town. If the credit issue bites, is there a plan 'B'? What step is/can SBC and the planning dept. taking to make sure that The New Swindon Company don't leave us with a swathe of rubble-strewn sites? The thing is, SBC will start to cop the public ire as the months roll-on without any construction taking place, even though you're not actually directly to blame... Rod has regularly fronted various bits of coverage promoting the redevelopment. You can't on the one hand use it as an endorsement of council policy but then point to the SDC if things start to go wrong, can you?

It is not the Council that insists on full rate being paid but the Government. SBC administers the collection and passes on all of the revenue.
You are absolutely correct on the subject of CP. The difficulty is that the speed of progress is dictated by negotiation between all interested parties in addition to external factors. The College site developers deciding to put in a Cinema when the larger Granville site developers had already proposed one will have almost certainly required Modus to adjust their business model. This then has a knock on effect for all the key stores that would need to be brought on board to occupy the new developments due to differences in foot fall predictions.
The current economic climate is not doing anyone any favours and as we move closer to 2012 I imagine construction focus is likely to be elsewhere. So we will probably find ourselves facing challenges that seemed fairly unlikely 18 months ago. It is down to the officers and members working with the developers to ensure the best for Swindon can be achieved.

All political groups want the regeneration, the ones not in control will wish that they were when it delivers. The opposition will predictably also try and make political capital out of any problems that are encountered along the way which the Advertiser will lap up.
What I want to say is something along the lines of it being about what is best for the future of Swindon without sounding like a sound bite. The party politics belong firmly on the touch line, but will undoubtedly figure highly for those watching on.

I ought to make it clear that I am not involved with either the College or Granville developments so the comments above are purely my own personal observations and thoughts.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »
It is not the Council that insists on full rate being paid but the Government. SBC administers the collection and passes on all of the revenue.

Crikey - so, once again, central government is enforcing policies which, to the untutored eye, looks like something that a local council is responsible for? You guys really need to make sure that the electorate is made aware of these issues loud and clear. Just like AWC and the associated problems, you're gifting the opposition, which is somewhat ironic if their London based polticial brethren are responsible for the policy! With AWC and the wheelie-bins, your colleagues tried to make capital out of the changes as though it was an endorsement of a 'green policy' - when as we all know, it was about EU legislation and the fear of fines. You can't have it both ways like I said earlier! You can't proclaim something as progressive and 'good' on the one hand - and then when faced by public opposition, remind everyone that it was actually someone elses idea. Perhaps a little more integrity of philosophy is needed? Otherwise, it no wonder that so many of the electorate are cynical.

I'm kinda reassured that you chaps are doing you best - but feeling utterly pessimistic about the future prospects: Swindon town centre IS likely to look like a rublle strewn and tagged-hoarding wasteland for the forseable future then.

Even though its no fault of SBC, its unfortunate that Rod has seen fit to become so directly associated with the redevelopment. Thats the trouble with PR and spin - hitch your reputation to a rising star and you'll make good capitial. Hitch it to a dung-cart and you'll be pulled into the mud and the mire.

All political groups want the regeneration, the ones not in control will wish that they were when it delivers

When is now becoming a BIG 'if' Keith - if developers can't afford to raise the finance for development because of interest rates - and see that potential profits are below return because of the depressed property market, no one's going to finish any of these projects, are they? It doesn't really matter if the opposition want the regeneration - if it fails to materialise for years, (as now looks almost certain) it's you and your colleagues who'll be carrying the political can.

Hubris is the biggest danger faced by any politician...

Offline komadori

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2008, 09:55:08 PM »
We're talking about something nearly on the hideous scale of the DMJ here!

I quite like the DMJ. The new tower would provide a balance across the town centre. Having said that, it would be nice if the old building on the College site wasn't overshadowed. It should be a landmark in its own right, not just a side show to a modern development.

As of the 1st of April 2008 premises empty for more than 3 months incur full business rate. Factory and warehouse premises that are vacant incur full rate after 6 months.
The intention being that landlords find new tenants, however one would would suspect that if an area is marked for redevelopment then the accountants will make the recommendation to level a site based on the sums and legislation in front of them.

That explains a lot... and could be bad news for quite a few older buildings which are difficult to reuse.

Offline kecl

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »

The Council itself is going to knock down a large disused warehouse north of the railway because recent legislation means leaving it up will now cost more in rates than knocking it down.

Out of interest which large warehouse is this?  I assume the council owns it if it's going to knock it down, so why not rent it out again?

With the down turn in the money markets, I have to admit to being extremely concerned about the future of redevelopments in the town centre actually moving forward, plus I have the feeling of dejavu about the new all singing all dancing sparkling Central Swindon we are apparently on the brink of diving into, it’s much the same vision as Swindon’s Civic Leaders had post war.   

Having grown up in the centre of Swindon, my earliest recollections go back to the early 70's when the first ‘vision’ was being put into practice. Houses and buildings were being demolished and cranes towered over the town building the Brunel Centre, then the ‘vision’ stopped half way through and what was built certainly hasn’t stood the test of time design wise, although I have to agree with Komadori and say I also quite like the Murray John building.

I hate to be cynical and I do want to see redevelopments happen, but already the Granville St development will be going ahead without a cinema and art gallery and who knows if a cinema will actually be built within the College development?

It’s all happened before in Swindon and history as they say, has a habit of repeating itself.

Do the following words taken from an interview sound vaguely familiar?

Council official: We have started with jobs and houses, now we are moving on to leisure. We have increased playing fields, given more public amenities and now there will be more opportunities for leisure.

Officer of Swindon Environmental Services: We are going to build a new leisure pool and a whole range of other exciting opportunities will be taking place  at the same time, Including a new shopping centre right within the town centre itself. It will include an entertainment element  that consists of restaurants, cafes, disco's and pubs.

Council official: I often think how we can overcome Swindon being viewed as a music hall joke, I think it is a pity and undeserved. It can only be overcome gradually; one way to overcome it is to have a first class football team.   .
Then as we build more buildings of good quality this will overcome problems. We have several public buildings designed by our top architects, I think this will gradually overcome the rather denigrating attitude to Swindon.

Reporter: New urban.yillages are being built, free from traffic and designed to mix young and old, richer and poorer in the same community. Swindon the new Jerusalem?

Council official: Well as long as you do not use that phrase in a slightly sardonic way, but one must have an objective and what better objective can there be than providing stability of employment, a good environment and plenty of opportunity for people to enjoy themselves.

Follow this link to the film of Swindon in 1973 that the above quote came from, close your eyes and you could easily be listening to a film about Swindon today, I just hope the vision this time goes a little bit further on the ground.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/content/articles/2006/03/27/browns_towns_swindon_feature.shtml

Back to the thread, judging by the direction it's gone in, I guess people aren't openly interested in the elections this year.

Offline Provocateur

• Atchya like a ninja cat!
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 04:30:19 PM »
Council official: We have started with jobs and houses, now we are moving on to leisure. We have increased playing fields, given more public amenities and now there will be more opportunities for leisure.

Officer of Swindon Environmental Services: We are going to build a new leisure pool and a whole range of other exciting opportunities will be taking place  at the same time, Including a new shopping centre right within the town centre itself. It will include an entertainment element  that consists of restaurants, cafes, disco's and pubs.

Council official: I often think how we can overcome Swindon being viewed as a music hall joke, I think it is a pity and undeserved. It can only be overcome gradually; one way to overcome it is to have a first class football team.   .
Then as we build more buildings of good quality this will overcome problems. We have several public buildings designed by our top architects, I think this will gradually overcome the rather denigrating attitude to Swindon.

Reporter: New urban.yillages are being built, free from traffic and designed to mix young and old, richer and poorer in the same community. Swindon the new Jerusalem?

Council official: Well as long as you do not use that phrase in a slightly sardonic way, but one must have an objective and what better objective can there be than providing stability of employment, a good environment and plenty of opportunity for people to enjoy themselves.

Follow this link to the film of Swindon in 1973 that the above quote came from, close your eyes and you could easily be listening to a film about Swindon today, I just hope the vision this time goes a little bit further on the ground.

And so history (and its mistakes) repeat, repeat, repeat....

Back to the thread, judging by the direction it's gone in, I guess people aren't openly interested in the elections this year

Au contrair. This is the issue which will lose the conservatives the control of the council - not this election, because demolition 'is new' (and therefore good according to the prevailing simplistic view) - but certainly at the next when the redvelopment will have left us with a legacy of broken promises and empty plots. In an effort to be seen to do something (anything) compromises will be made - and instead of the cinemas, the arts centres etc. etc, we'll get exactly what we got the last time: Concrete and steel modular bland buildings put up on the cheap to fill the space, high density souless housing and a magification of all of the problems faced by the town. Funny how politicians and businessmen's solutions are more often than not the cause of the problem - which your brilliant snippet above shows only too clearly...

Offline komadori

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 10:26:34 PM »

Back to the thread, judging by the direction it's gone in, I guess people aren't openly interested in the elections this year.

It's not that I'm not interested, more that the candidates don't seem to be interested in coming and talking to (or even leafleting) their voters.